Author Topic: RELEASE - The Procyon Insurgency  (Read 289660 times)

Offline Cobra

• Snake on a Cain
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
Re: RELEASE - The Procyon Insurgency
Stealth mission pissed me off... took me about 50 trys (not kidding either...) I even put it on very easy. Bah, that blew.

That mission was easy, it was just like Playing Judas. :D
To consider the Earth as the only populated world in infinite space is as absurd as to assert that in an entire field of millet, only one grain will grow. - Metrodorus of Chios
I wept. Mysterious forces beyond my ken had reached into my beautiful mission and energized its pilots with inhuman bomb-firing abilities. I could only imagine the GTVA warriors giving a mighty KIAAIIIIIII shout as they worked their triggers, their biceps bulging with sinew after years of Ivan Drago-esque steroid therapy and weight training. - General Battuta

Offline CP5670

• Dr. Evil
  • Global Moderator
For those of you having trouble with 13, you want to spend a minute or two observing the fighters' paths before you head in. You will notice that heading straight in is not the optimal path to the target. Instead, you want to fly around the "sphere" of fighters and approach it from the top or bottom. This is described in the walkthrough.

In any case, the updated version of this mission will adapt to the difficulty setting. It should now become a walkover on very easy, well, unless you really suck. :p

When you say you've fixed the issues, will we have to redownload it?

It's a patch file containing only the modified data. You don't need to download the whole thing again, although I will update the main download as well for people who haven't downloaded the campaign yet.

I'm interested in Dasmar's plans. What was that Ancient Device for? What does he mean with return?

I'll post a detailed explanation in a day or two. I had written a bit of an essay in response to this last night, but didn't have time to finish it. :p

I plan on installing this new campaign tomorrow but I just want to make sure that all that's required is to download all of the links provided on the dl page?

Yeah, that's it. They don't replace any FS2 files. You might want to wait a bit though, as I'm planning to release the patch tonight, so you can just get the updated version.

Offline Cobra

• Snake on a Cain
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
For those of you having trouble with 13, you want to spend a minute or two observing the fighters' paths before you head in. You will notice that heading straight in is not the optimal path to the target. Instead, you want to fly around the "sphere" of fighters and approach it from the top or bottom. This is described in the walkthrough.

That's basically what I did, only I went left and then went though the left of the "sphere" (turning right), making adjustments when I got too close to the fighters. Took me about a minute to get in doing that, and about the same time to get out. Mission was too friggin' long though. :P
To consider the Earth as the only populated world in infinite space is as absurd as to assert that in an entire field of millet, only one grain will grow. - Metrodorus of Chios
I wept. Mysterious forces beyond my ken had reached into my beautiful mission and energized its pilots with inhuman bomb-firing abilities. I could only imagine the GTVA warriors giving a mighty KIAAIIIIIII shout as they worked their triggers, their biceps bulging with sinew after years of Ivan Drago-esque steroid therapy and weight training. - General Battuta

Offline Alan Bolte

• Deneb III
    • @Compellor
I found it much easier to get out than to get in. Right now I'm stuck in the nebula mission. Somehow I get through all that scripted stuff and then the shivan fighters blow me to bits. It's a bit irritating to have to fly around doing nothing for so long each time. Like WC Saga, heh.
Anything worth doing is worth analyzing to death -Iranon

Offline CP5670

• Dr. Evil
  • Global Moderator
Mission was too friggin' long though. :p

Yeah, I agree. The funny thing is that conversation originally used to be much longer, almost 20 minutes by itself. I removed a ton of stuff from it to cut down on the length as much as I could.

I was originally planning to have a big cutscene going on where all the stuff they talk about is actually happening. It would have made things much more interesting, but I had to drop that idea due to time constraints.

Offline Cobra

• Snake on a Cain
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
You said cutscene and it made me think something Independence War-ish. Maybe someone could change that... :drevil:

Offline Morphi

I skipped mission 17 (well, I tried to...).  the mission seems to be a 2  parter...  it loads...then I'm stuck ,the screen flickers.... and i can't restart the the first part of the mission (except in the simulator) ,so i can't complete the campaign.  :mad: Is there a skip-level cheat  or a way to jump back a mission? ( or better: a patch :P)

Offline Cobra

• Snake on a Cain
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
Dude, holy crap! I recognize some of these music tracks you use!

Order of the New Dawn Theme - Ground Control
The Waiting (Or something like that) - Battlezone

There's another one you used too but I don't know where it comes from.

Also you make good use of the FS1 and Silent Threat tracks. :)

Offline CP5670

• Dr. Evil
  • Global Moderator
I found it much easier to get out than to get in. Right now I'm stuck in the nebula mission. Somehow I get through all that scripted stuff and then the shivan fighters blow me to bits. It's a bit irritating to have to fly around doing nothing for so long each time. Like WC Saga, heh.

I'm generally not a fan of those either, but I figured that the rest of the campaign is hectic enough that a few "calm" missions wouldn't hurt too much at that point.

You want to close in on the Shivans (using the usual corkscrew maneuver) before attacking them. Their ships are pretty weak once you get past their weapons, and they don't fire much at close range.

Also you make good use of the FS1 and Silent Threat tracks.

Exactly right. :) The other one you're referring to is probably is the "neutral" debriefing track, which is from Earthsiege. They had to be modified a bit to make them suitable for PI. The rest are from FS1 and the Freespace masters archive that Nix sent me, and the intro track is a simple remix I made from some unfinished stuff in that archive. We'll release all that stuff once we have everything from Dan Wentz, as the archive is currently somewhat incomplete.

I skipped mission 17 (well, I tried to...).  the mission seems to be a 2  parter...  it loads...then I'm stuck ,the screen flickers.... and i can't restart the the first part of the mission (except in the simulator) ,so i can't complete the campaign.   Is there a skip-level cheat  or a way to jump back a mission? ( or better: a patch)

That doesn't sound good. It seems that this is a problem with FS2 itself rather than PI. I don't know exactly how the game behaves if you try to skip a mission preceding a red alert one after dying, but from what you're saying it sounds like it does not work. I am afraid your campaign progress may be hosed, but you can still play all of those missions in the mission simulator by hitting ctrl-shift-s in the selection screen. The only thing you will lose out on is your work on taking down the turrets in 15 (which stay dead in 17), but the mission still uses a default selection of destroyed turrets if played through the simulator.

Offline Sparky

• Former JBX MegaRaptors
The problem for me on mission 13 wasn't flying TO the ship... but leaving. holy crap that was a pain. I knew how to get in no problem, just wait for Cancer 3 to fly in front of you and start to turn away. then just a straight shot. But leaving, why that was so hard I dunno. I think Cancer 2 kept spoiling it for me.

Offline Cobra

• Snake on a Cain
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter

Also you make good use of the FS1 and Silent Threat tracks.

Exactly right. :) The other one you're referring to is probably is the "neutral" debriefing track, which is from Earthsiege. They had to be modified a bit to make them suitable for PI. The rest are from FS1 and the Freespace masters archive that Nix sent me, and the intro track is a simple remix I made from some unfinished stuff in that archive. We'll release all that stuff once we have everything from Dan Wentz, as the archive is currently somewhat incomplete.

Yeah, kudos on making it work. :):yes:

Actually, I was probably thinking about the FS(2) beta mainhall track. I didn't even notice the debriefing one.

[EDIT]Not to sound like a kiss-ass or anything, but also more kudos to making the speculation stuff seem plausible.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2007, 08:36:35 pm by Cobra »

Offline Vretsu

Gah! Bloody mission 3.

The sentry guns fired beams at me.  :eek:

I was all like, "oh, look, a pansy Vasudan Edjo gun. DIE!"

It was all, "WTFPWN!!"

*zapzapzapzapzapzapzapzapzapzapzapzapzap*

"AAAAAAAAAAUGH!!!"

*zapzapzapzapzapzapzapzapzapzapzapzapzapzap*

*cheesy explosion sounds*

Offline Mobius

• Back where he started
  • Porto l'azzurro Dolce Stil Novo nella fantascienza
    • The Lightblue Ribbon | Cultural Project
:)

Why we don't voice act the campaign...?
The Lightblue Ribbon

Inferno: Nostos - Alliance
Series Resurrecta: {{FS Wiki Portal}} -  Gehenna's Gate - The Spirit of Ptah - Serendipity (WIP) - <REDACTED> (WIP)
FreeSpace Campaign Restoration Project
A tribute to FreeSpace in my book: Riflessioni dall'Infinito
My interviews: [ 1 ] - [ 2 ] - [ 3 ]

Offline Cobra

• Snake on a Cain
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
Spoiler that, dammit. We need that to be a surprise.

And unless CP5670 says so, no. :P

Offline Vretsu

This campaign would probably be better off without voiceacting.

1.) The constant Vasudan-English translating would get annoying.

2.) As a Vasudan pilot, you should be able to understand Vasudan without a translation, anyways!  :lol:

Offline CP5670

• Dr. Evil
  • Global Moderator
I think the biggest challenge in getting voice acting in, apart from gathering community support, is to find a way to generate the Vasudan voices. The stuff in the default vasudantalk.wav isn't going to cut it in many places (the Dasmar speech in mission 4, for example, would sound strange if it started with that). There are several Vasudan voice files in FS1 that would be perfect, but they're mixed in with the translator.

There is also the fact that I'm currently using a bit of a hack to specify the debriefing music, which wouldn't work if voices were also present there. Although I could probably get the SCP team to add in a proper way of doing this.

Yeah, kudos on making it work.

Actually, I was probably thinking about the FS(2) beta mainhall track. I didn't even notice the debriefing one.

[EDIT]Not to sound like a kiss-ass or anything, but also more kudos to making the speculation stuff seem plausible.

Thanks, but...what speculation are you referring to? :confused:

Gah! Bloody mission 3.

The sentry guns fired beams at me.

I was all like, "oh, look, a pansy Vasudan Edjo gun. DIE!"

It was all, "WTFPWN!!"

*zapzapzapzapzapzapzapzapzapzapzapzapzap*

"AAAAAAAAAAUGH!!!"

*zapzapzapzapzapzapzapzapzapzapzapzapzapzap*

*cheesy explosion sounds*

:D

The guy tells you about that in the briefing though. Those sentries are still fairly ineffective, but they can at least do something. The Edjo is pure cannon fodder.

Offline CP5670

• Dr. Evil
  • Global Moderator
Also, I'm uploading the 1.02 patch now. This should take care of all the bugs and stuff brought up earlier. If you find mission 13 too hard, you can now turn down the difficulty level to make it easier.

Offline Cobra

• Snake on a Cain
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
Yeah, kudos on making it work.

Thanks, but...what speculation are you referring to? :confused:

Well, not speculation per se, I mean speculation since it's not FS canon.

***SPOILER***
I meant that the talk of the ancients, Shivans, and GTI were all plausible. They could have happened. For a second I was thinking this was actually canon stuff too, that's how believable it was, in my opinion.

Offline TrashMan

• T-tower Avenger. srsly.
  • God-Emperor of your kind!
    • Minecraft
    • FLAMES OF WAR
Nice campaign...Actually, great campaign!

But honestly, Im not much into all those conspiracy campaign, as they tend to suffer from the *eh???* syndrom as I liek to call it. Either the bad guy ends up looking like the total idiot, or the GTVA, for being so utterly blind.
Nobody dies as a virgin - the life ****s us all!

You're a wrongularity from which no right can escape!

Offline CP5670

• Dr. Evil
  • Global Moderator
Nice campaign...Actually, great campaign!

But honestly, Im not much into all those conspiracy campaign, as they tend to suffer from the *eh???* syndrom as I liek to call it. Either the bad guy ends up looking like the total idiot, or the GTVA, for being so utterly blind.

I'm not sure what you're on about here. :confused: Care to explain?