Author Topic: RELEASE - The Procyon Insurgency  (Read 289658 times)

Offline CP5670

• Dr. Evil
  • Global Moderator
Re: RELEASE - The Procyon Insurgency
Let's cool it down here.

I posted some thoughts on the voice acting issue in the other thread.

I would just like to state for the record that mission 13 is annoying as hell.   :lol: 

Spoiler:
I finally managed to get in and plant the bug undetected, but getting out is even harder than getting in, because you can't just check nearest hostile to find the closest fighter.  I'm done for tonight; too tired.
"Courage is the complement of fear.  A fearless man cannot be courageous.  He is also a fool." -- Robert Heinlein

Offline eliex

Spoiler:
I finally managed to get in and plant the bug undetected, but getting out is even harder than getting in, because you can't just check nearest hostile to find the closest fighter.  I'm done for tonight; too tired.

If you think that is hard, wait till a few missions ahead . . . won't spoil anything for you just yet.  :D

What I want to know is, if they're not patrolling close enough to the transport to see you there, why can't you just stay there?   :lol:
"Courage is the complement of fear.  A fearless man cannot be courageous.  He is also a fool." -- Robert Heinlein

Offline Androgeos Exeunt

• Captain Oblivious
  • Prevents attraction.
    • Wordpress.com Blog
You could, but then the mission wouldn't progress.

I believe that CP made it this way to convey the illusion that the Rogue Taurus can only block your blip for a short while. Besides, it's much safer to read everything four clicks out than 0.7 away from a cruiser and over 5 enemy fighters.
My blog

Quote: Tuesday, 3 October 2023 0133 UTC +8, #general
MP-Ryan
Oh you still believe in fairy tales like Santa, the Easter Bunny, and free market competition principles?

Well, I beat it.  Mission 14 was significantly easier.  Yay for more dispersed sentries!

Though it's irritating that Alpha 1 jumps out in 13 as soon as you're detected, even if the Parapet's already in system and he's supposed to be TAGging the enemy fighters.

Offline CP5670

• Dr. Evil
  • Global Moderator
What I want to know is, if they're not patrolling close enough to the transport to see you there, why can't you just stay there?

Well, you wouldn't be able to leave the area. From a story point of view, a subspace drive powering up could be easily detected at such close range, and the enemy fighters would quickly intercept you if you tried to jump out there. Command doesn't know beforehand that the enemy ships themselves are going to leave. :p

Though it's irritating that Alpha 1 jumps out in 13 as soon as you're detected, even if the Parapet's already in system and he's supposed to be TAGging the enemy fighters.

You may have found a bug. It shouldn't allow the "detected" flag to be set after the Parapet comes in. What did you do to get spotted?

I hit my burners to engage the enemy fighters.  It said I was detected and I got the RTB order, but I decided "Screw it, I'm going to fight this out anyway," so I did.  The Parapet destroyed everything, then I got the RTB order again.  I got both the mission passed and the mission failed debriefings, and it let me advance to the next mission. 

Offline Androgeos Exeunt

• Captain Oblivious
  • Prevents attraction.
    • Wordpress.com Blog
I think you have to wait a while until the transport carrying Dasmar has jumped out completely.
My blog

Quote: Tuesday, 3 October 2023 0133 UTC +8, #general
MP-Ryan
Oh you still believe in fairy tales like Santa, the Easter Bunny, and free market competition principles?

Offline CP5670

• Dr. Evil
  • Global Moderator
I hit my burners to engage the enemy fighters.  It said I was detected and I got the RTB order, but I decided "Screw it, I'm going to fight this out anyway," so I did.  The Parapet destroyed everything, then I got the RTB order again.  I got both the mission passed and the mission failed debriefings, and it let me advance to the next mission. 

I fixed this bug for the next version. It turns out I hadn't accounted for the possibility of the player closing in on the enemy fighters during the 10 seconds or so before they leave.

Offline eliex

Bit hard for the player to attack them and live IMO . . . they outnumber the player ten to one.  :nervous:

Bit hard for the player to attack them and live IMO . . . they outnumber the player ten to one.  :nervous:
True, but they don't outnumber the Parapet's beam cannons.   ;7

Well, I beat the campaign.  And I know the answer to the big question about the second part of the last mission.   :lol: 
Spoiler:
I'm surprised they even have to ask the question.  It's absolutely no wonder the Ancients would start shooting right away; the GTVA shot first.  Alpha 1 went around blowing the hell out of their fighters in the nebula back in mission 14 while waiting around for Alpha 3 to return, thus giving them casus belli.  Way to go, Commander.   :P
« Last Edit: March 12, 2009, 07:11:22 pm by Renegade Paladin »

Offline utops

• rip: microprose,black isle, troika.
Hello.
I dont know. Why 3rd mission is so fskcin hard?
Maybe my mod configuration sucks ( fso build,mediavp etc etc)
 problem is:
-Too many enemys at once from different sides
-Too fast process i cant breath in that mission
-Too Tuff (sentrys are weak yeah in any other campaign but in this one they are real MotsFck)
-Weapons eh sucks...
-Wingmans they all dead before anyone of them push trigger

Thx...
PS.
This reminds my problems with Flames of War - Coming of the Storm except fighters, in PI they are pretty killable for me.
Both played on mediavps 3.6.10 and FSO3.6.9 build.
What if ?

Offline Knight Templar

• Stealth
  • I'm a magic man, I've got magic hands.
So, I'm not going to read through 37 pages of posts but...

@CP: Dude, did you seriously put an AWACS cruiser called "Hymen" in mission 14?
Copyright ©1976, 2003, KT Enterprises. All rights reserved

"I don't want to get laid right now. I want to get drunk."- Mars

Too Long, Didn't Read

Offline Sushi

• Art Critic
Quick question: does this work with 3.6.10 builds? Or do I need to get that specific 3.6.9 build mentioned?

Offline blowfish

• Join the cult of KILL MY ROUTER!!!!!!!!!!1
Some people have claimed to have issues with 3.6.10 builds.  I have had none, however.

Offline CP5670

• Dr. Evil
  • Global Moderator
So, I'm not going to read through 37 pages of posts but...

@CP: Dude, did you seriously put an AWACS cruiser called "Hymen" in mission 14?

If there is some silly meaning to that, I missed it. :p Most of the names, especially for minor ships, were just randomly chosen from a big list I had taken from that Encyclopedia Mythica site.

Quick question: does this work with 3.6.10 builds? Or do I need to get that specific 3.6.9 build mentioned?

3.6.10 builds seem to work for most people. I haven't had time to test them myself though.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
The hymen is a thin permeable membrane at the opening of the vagina, stereotypically associated with virginity in women. This is of really dubious validity. But it does make it an uneasy name for an AWACS.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
That's the origin of the anatomical term and CP's original source, as he said.