Author Topic: RELEASE - The Procyon Insurgency  (Read 289657 times)

Offline Knight Templar

• Stealth
  • I'm a magic man, I've got magic hands.
Re: RELEASE - The Procyon Insurgency
So, I'm not going to read through 37 pages of posts but...

@CP: Dude, did you seriously put an AWACS cruiser called "Hymen" in mission 14?

If there is some silly meaning to that, I missed it. :p Most of the names, especially for minor ships, were just randomly chosen from a big list I had taken from that Encyclopedia Mythica site.

Did I really just pop your sexual-innuendo cherry with the cherry itself? omg the irony is eating my soul.
Copyright ©1976, 2003, KT Enterprises. All rights reserved

"I don't want to get laid right now. I want to get drunk."- Mars

Too Long, Didn't Read

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
Did I really just pop your sexual-innuendo cherry with the cherry itself? omg the irony is eating my soul.
Ze mind, it is boggled...

I think it all works out in the end, because if any ship deserves to be called a pussy (or part of one), it's an AWACS. :p

Offline colecampbell666

• I See Dead Pictures
  • Evolution and ascension.
No, an escape pod.
Gettin' back to dodgin' lasers.

Offline Commander Zane

• Spoot Knight of Anvils
Or the Ganymede.

Offline Knight Templar

• Stealth
  • I'm a magic man, I've got magic hands.
 /facepalm
Copyright ©1976, 2003, KT Enterprises. All rights reserved

"I don't want to get laid right now. I want to get drunk."- Mars

Too Long, Didn't Read

Offline Commander Zane

• Spoot Knight of Anvils

Offline Droid803

• Trusted poster of legit stuff
  • /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕ 人\ Do you want to be a Magical Girl?
What? About how they usually have an Orion lodged inside the ring?
(´・ω・`)
=============================================================

Offline Commander Zane

• Spoot Knight of Anvils
Pretty much yes.

Offline Dilmah G

• Failed juggling
  • Do try it.
:wakka:

Offline CP5670

• Dr. Evil
  • Global Moderator

Well, either that term is obscure or people aren't very observant, since it has taken over two years for anyone to bring it up. :p

According to this, it's the name of some god. It might be best to just change it though, as that ship plays no role in the story anyway. I'll make a note of it for the update.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2009, 04:35:34 pm by CP5670 »

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
Well, either that term is obscure or people aren't very observant, since it has taken over two years for anyone to bring it up. :p
Or they lol'd and said nothing, thinking you did it on purpose.  (Me for example.) :nervous:

According to this, it's the name of some god.
According to the same article, the term "hymn" derives from the same source.  That's somewhat disturbing.

I have to say one thing: Really good job! PI is one of my fav. Mods fpr FS! Excellent job.
Corpus Delicti, near Release!
I'm Sorry for my quite bad English, I'm German.

Offline Mikes

You know... i so wanted him to say it! ... but nope Command is political correct as ever!  :lol:

The look on Commands face makes it priceless however.

The fact that the err... "Awacs Ship" is covering up one of the Saturns uh... vital spots (Reactor No. 3) makes this a kind of Freudian Easter Egg... i guess ? LOL  :eek:

« Last Edit: May 14, 2009, 06:53:45 am by Mikes »

Offline Sushi

• Art Critic
Alright, I've made it most of the way through this. So far, it's been fun, although wicked hard in places. The stealth missions actually weren't too difficult for me: I think I beat the first one on my second try, the rest on the first. Better yet, they were easily the most exciting and fun stealth missions I've played to date. Well done!  :yes:

Mission 17a is kicking my butt though. I'll have to try it again now that I know that the akheton can shoot 2000m (yes, I've done the entire campaign so far without knowing that!) and see if I can take down enough turrets with it to get that Amun mk2 into the trench. I've also tried it with the other heavy bomber, and gotten closer... I was able to spend 5 minutes picking off turrets with trebs, then get into the trench a few times. Problem was, either wandering fighters would get to me or the support ship would fail to do so in time.

Offline blowfish

• Join the cult of KILL MY ROUTER!!!!!!!!!!1
The number of turrets you destroy in PI15 is critical to your success in PI17.  Also note that there's a laser turret under the bridge which can shoot into the trench.

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
And all of that would be why I replayed mission 15 some 50 or so times until I finally managed to knock out 25 turrets. :p

Offline Mikes

And all of that would be why I replayed mission 15 some 50 or so times until I finally managed to knock out 25 turrets. :p

Spoiler:
I found that flying a Perseus with a full loadout of Stiletto's makes this much much easier. Just 2 trigger pulls kill a turret (i.e. 4 Stilettos) and they don't have the Trebuchets slow refire rate.
Just make sure to hog the Support Ship. ;) lol. In the final Mission, a couple of Stiletto's to take out the more pesky remaining turrets helps immensely as well.

Offline blowfish

Those 2 missions with the Saturn feel more like a chore than fun since they are insanely difficult. Even if you take out that laser turret and others, just about every other turret is just as deadly. Too many AAA beams and I have to get close to destroy them and other turrets once I run out of Trebs, even if I choose a heavy fighter with only Trebs. All I can do is stay far away and keep firing away, but I won't be able to take out 25 that way. The enemy fighter keep distracting me. The fighters make it too hard and you might have to put it on very easy, and even then, it isn't too easy.

Another problem is when you disarm the side of it in the first mission with the Saturn and the other side (armed side) is facing you in the second mission, making it almost pointless to disarm that one side for the purpose of ease. That means disarming the turrets on that one side in the previous mission won't make it much easier the second time around, but you have to disarm most of the turrets on that side in the first mission anyways or you and your wingmen will be killed by the turrets when you get too close, and it is nearly impossible to be able to accurately disable the turrets with the long range disruptor primaries since you need to have one primary for defending yourself against fighters and it takes too many shots to disable the turrets even with the disruptor, and it is especially difficult to aim and have enough time to destroy a turret anyways with those pesky fighters distracting you and your being 2km away from the turret you are firing at.

It seems to be one of those lose/lose situations. You hurry and get too close to disarm the turrets and the fighters will kill you at the same time as the AAAs, and if you take your time, you will survive but the mission will fail or you won't be able to complete all objectives. It seems impossible to be able to complete all objectives and survive. Some missions in this campaign don't seem to have their difficulty balanced.

Couple of things.  Firstly, I think it's possible to destroy at least 15-20 turrets with Trebuchets, assuming you are able to rearm efficiently.  Secondly, the mission was intended to be done with Akheton SDGs, which can destroy all the turrets from outside their range (albeit just outside their range).  Thirdly, you're not that far off in the first mission from the vector you will approach the Saturn from in the later mission.  All you have to do is fly down until you're aligned with the Saturn (even just going down to the level of its bridge will allow you to attack all the broadside turrets that you will need to.  Definitely a tough pair of missions, but definitely doable.

Offline eliex

I used a similar tactic described by blowfish above, and try it out, it works.

Offline blowfish

Main beams are unaffected in the later mission.  Really doesn't matter anyway, since all of its beam shots in that mission occur within the first five seconds.