Author Topic: [WIP] SCv Moloch  (Read 30874 times)

Offline Nyctaeus

• The Slavic Engineer
  • My "FS Ships" folder is 582gb.
    • Minecraft
    • Exile
I was talking about two different things. First - I would like to see armor plates of your HTL more detailed. Maybe subdivided onto smaller plates. In current state, ribs are much more detailed than armor plates and it's quite noticable.

The second thing is old HTL model. You may use some ideas from old HTL in your model, and I just want to suggest that. I always liked glowing, red eye on the front and pipes.
Exile | Shadow Genesis | Inferno | Series Resurrecta  | DA Profile | P3D Profile

Proud owner of NyctiShipyards. Remember - Nyx will fix it!

All of my assets including models, textures, skyboxes, effects may be used under standard CC BY-NC 4.0 license.

Offline Rga_Noris

• What?
I think the retail model has the same contrast, but i'll look into it. No promIses.
I think I'll call REAL Mahjong 'Chinese Dominoes', just to make people think I'm an ignorant asshat.

Offline Rga_Noris

• What?

1) I know the model is very ineffecient
2) I know there is a giant hole in the back
3) I know the rear spikes do not match the front ones... they will.
4) I know some of the surfaces have odd wrinkles
5) I know the back of the mohawk ends abruptly... that area isn't done.
6) I know this was probably too early to post.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2014, 05:46:14 pm by Rga_Noris »
I think I'll call REAL Mahjong 'Chinese Dominoes', just to make people think I'm an ignorant asshat.

Nice to see you did away with that silly laser turret eye from the old HTL.
The good Christian should beware of mathematicians, and all those who make empty prophecies. The danger already exists that the mathematicians have made a covenant with the devil to darken the spirit and to confine man in the bonds of Hell.

Offline Trivial Psychic

• Snoop Junkie
I see you've gone with an open-concept figherbay.  ;)
The Trivial Psychic Strikes Again!

Offline CKid

Gives me chills just looking at it. Keep it up.  :yes:
If I agreed with you, we would both be wrong

Awesome, it looks like a giant, evil  deep-water-sea-fish from space.  :shaking:

Offline Rga_Noris

• What?
I see you've gone with an open-concept figherbay.  ;)

Indeed. What do you think of the flat gray textures?

Offline niffiwan

• Eluder Class
wow - I couldn't get much of a feel for this from the screenies alone, but after seeing it in p3d... that looks awesome, I love the ribs and the claw/tentacles, it's the stuff that nightmares are made from :) :yes: 
Creating a fs2_open.log | Red Alert Bug = Hex Edit | MediaVPs 2014: Bigger HUD gauges | 32bit libs for 64bit Ubuntu
----
Debian Packages (testing/unstable): Freespace2 | wxLauncher
----
m|m: I think I'm suffering from Stockholm syndrome. Bmpman is starting to make sense and it's actually written reasonably well...

Offline BrotherBryon

• Resident Lurker
Thing of beauty as always, can't wait to see the finished product.
Holy Crap. SHIVANS! Tours

Offline Ulala

• Groooove Evening, viewers!
I like it. Great work so far!
I am a revolutionary.

Offline Kolgena

The front looks like a cruise ship. I know it's very early, but I think those regular, flat/rounded surfaces could probably look less terran.

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Where in the FS2 terran design language were ship-like prows used?

Point being, the shape's fine, and ties neatly into the techno-organic feel the Shivans have; looking at it untextured is only giving you half the info you need, really.
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline Rga_Noris

• What?
The front looks like a cruise ship. I know it's very early, but I think those regular, flat/rounded surfaces could probably look less terran.

I'm unsure what flat/regular/rounded surfaces you mean. Could you take a shot and MSPaint it up?

Offline Kolgena

I guess it's in the source material as well, but the way the bridge looks like it could have been cut on a giant lathe (looks like stories with balconies), coupled with the very ship-like nose causes me to see only this:

I think The_E is correct in saying that good texture work will probably fix it, but maybe if the shapes at the front were disrupted a bit to not look like a conventional bridge and front of an IRL boat, it may help as well.

[attachment deleted by an evil time traveler]

Offline Rodo

• Custom tittle
  • stargazer
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
Too early to say anything, let the man work.

Aditionally: I picture Carl and random shivan replaying the famous scene from Titanic right now, damn you Kolgena.
el hombre vicio...

Offline Dragon

• Citation needed
  • The sky is the limit.
Yes, now that I think of it, the nose does look like a rather outlandish cruise liner design...

Offline Droid803

• Trusted poster of legit stuff
  • /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕ 人\ Do you want to be a Magical Girl?
I was talking about two different things. First - I would like to see armor plates of your HTL more detailed. Maybe subdivided onto smaller plates. In current state, ribs are much more detailed than armor plates and it's quite noticable.

The second thing is old HTL model. You may use some ideas from old HTL in your model, and I just want to suggest that. I always liked glowing, red eye on the front and pipes.

Kind of delayed but much agree. There's quite a lot I like about the current HTL Moloch.
(´・ω・`)
=============================================================

Offline Hellzed

Let's call in an EVA to fight this monstrosity !

Offline Rga_Noris

• What?
Kolgena - That pic isn't helping me NOT do that... it might just get worse ;)

Seriously though yes, I can have a look at that. Probably some opportunities for awesome there, it is quite bland as is!

Rodo - Very true, it is early, but I don't mind feedback as long as its usable.

Droid803/Betrayal - The current HTL Moloch is great departure from retail, so I will not be utilizing it. Betrayal, I'm not trying to be rude when I say this, but this is wildly inconsistent with most of your critiques. The 'feel' of the current HTL Moloch and retail are quite different (one has a freaking eyeball on the front, making it look like a face, as well as random never-in-retail whiskers all over) and I can't help but say its inconsistencies such as this that draws attention away from your critiques. When your critiques vary so wildly in principal, it tends to make an artist think that there really isn't anything that will please you aside from what's in your head. Considering we will never be able to recreate that, your comments often find their way to IgnoresVille.

That being said, I've seen (and taken) valuable input from you, but consider revising your stance on everything being staunchly retail; You've demonstrated in this thread that, if it looks cool enough, it can vary from retail and be okay with you. I agree that things should be anchored in retail, however, much of the current HTL Moloch simply isn't.

Hellzed - Ummm... what's an EVA?