Author Topic: Storm Front mission loading error  (Read 6251 times)

Offline Yarn

Re: Storm Front mission loading error
It's almost certainly a bad model, considering that the game is crashing while loading the Amalthea. I can trigger the crash without loading the mission by going to the Tech Room, pressing Ctrl+Shift+S to display all ships, and selecting the GTC Amalthea (which loads the model). I'm sure that the crash can also be triggered in the F3 lab.

I also tried loading the model in PCS 2.1 Alpha and got a similar crash, so the Amalthea POF might be corrupted.

(And just so we're clear, the MX-52 issue is completely unrelated. And no, the MX-52 message is not a crash; as I said earlier, you can ignore it whenever it appears by clicking "no," and the game will continue without problems, at least until it loads the Amalthea model.)
"Your fighter is running out of oil.  Please check under the hood and add more if necessary"
--strings.tbl, entry 177

"Freespace is very tired.  It is shutting down to get some rest."
--strings.tbl, entry 178

Offline CT27

I'm fairly certain we're all on the same page here, but just to clarify what I mean when I say the game freezes/crashes (some may have different definitions of those words):

When I try to load up act 2 mission 4 of SF1 (whether it's by clicking on the next mission button after successfully completing act 2 mission 3 or by clicking on the ready room in the main hall), the mission loading screen (greenish background with GTVA logo on top and progress bar at the bottom) comes up with one dot filled in.  It just stayed that way for several minutes.  I would click the left button on my mouse and a blue circle would come up.  I clicked that button again and then the game closed with a box saying Freespace 2 Open stopped working.

Again, I've kind of said this before, and I think we all understand each other, but I just wanted to be 100% sure.

Offline CT27

Some people have said they're able to play this campaign without problems.  It's weird how some people who download it have these problems but some people's downloads don't seem to have this problem with the cruiser.

Offline Sarkoth

• Ser Campaign-listador
I just noticed that the release for Stormfront12 on my hard drive is a completely different one compared to the one you linked CT27. Mine has no StormfrontStock folder and is only 23 something MB in total. Will look into playability right away and if it does work, I will upload it on mediafire.

Edit: 102 ship table errors does tell a tale of something definitely being wrong there.

Edit: After looking a bit around, I noticed that the StormFrontStock folder from the freespacemods download is missing some VPs compared to the VPs on the author's homepage. Try getting everything from here

Edit: With all files from the author's homepage and trying to use mediavps_2014, I am down to 17 warnings and/or errors. Did a few missions and it looks perfectly playable. If someone tells me how to edit my campaign pilot file so that I can try out the mission in question from the campaign simulator, I'll do that right away.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2014, 02:16:34 am by Sarkoth »
Only the one passed trough darkness obtains the right to ask for light

Offline niffiwan

• Eluder Class
Editing the pilotfile to do that is a bit tricky. I'd instead recommend using a fresh pilot (since the cheat will probably damage the pilot) with the "skipmemymissionyo" cheat to play the mission in question. You just need to find the mission filename, and you can get that by using the techroom with CTRL+SHIFT+S.

edit:
Or, another way of doing this is to modify the campaign file to make the problematic mission the 1st one in the campaign.  I usually just delete all prior missions from the campaign file.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2014, 04:31:57 am by niffiwan »
Creating a fs2_open.log | Red Alert Bug = Hex Edit | MediaVPs 2014: Bigger HUD gauges | 32bit libs for 64bit Ubuntu
----
Debian Packages (testing/unstable): Freespace2 | wxLauncher
----
m|m: I think I'm suffering from Stockholm syndrome. Bmpman is starting to make sense and it's actually written reasonably well...

Offline Sarkoth

• Ser Campaign-listador
CTRL + SHIFT + S did the trick. Thanks niffiwan, I should have remembered that. I just suddenly had a sudden stroke of memory where you told me the exact same thing so that I could count missions for the campaign list.

CT27, the missions in question load just fine for me. The GTC Amalthea also loads just fine in the mission simulator. Try using the version I linked and report back to me. You can also just throw the vps from the StormFrontStock into the StormFront1+2 folder and delete the entry from the mod.ini. Less clutter. You need to download BOTH StormFront1+2 and StormFrontStock fresh though, just adding the missing vps to your installed version breaks it even more. At least it did for me.

On a completely different note, What If is ridiculously broken. That will be my next request for the FSCRP as soon as Dawn of Sol gets a rehaul. Then again, Dawn of Sol is at least working.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2014, 05:01:55 am by Sarkoth »

Offline Macfie

• If somebody made a campaign I've probably got it
Did  you modify the mod.ini for what if?  I noticed it was released in 2010 and refers to old versions of the fsport, fsport-mediavps and mediavps.  It also is dependent on the stormfrontstock folder so if you put those files in the Stormfront1+2 folder it probably won't work.  Also Dawn of Sol will probably not be high on the list of campaigns to overhaul because it works and the original author is available to overhaul it.  I would recommend asking the original author for an overhaul.
Normal people believe that if it isn't broke, don't fix it. Engineers believe that if it isn't broke, it doesn't have enough features yet.
The difference between Mechanical Engineers and Civil Engineers is:
Mechanical Engineers build weapons.  Civil Engineers build targets
An optimist sees the glass half full; the pessimist sees it half empty. An engineer sees that the glass is twice as big as it needs to be.

Offline Sarkoth

• Ser Campaign-listador
Macfie, I tried modifying the mod.ini in several ways for What If. The usual suspects. Also played around with the order a bit, but to no avail. Actually I did the very same thing I did with StormFront1+2, and StormFront1+2 works perfectly (even with the StormFrontStock VPs just thrown into the Folder, as the Stock has nothing but the VPs themselves). The fsport-mediavps are even compatible with the mediavps_2014, cudos to none other than yourself. ;)

Only What If seems to be completely unphazed by StormFront1+2 working perfectly.

Regarding Dawn of Sol, both CT27 and Droid803 himself stated that he wasn't working on DoS anymore, that he'd help out anyone trying to restore it, but also stopped work completely on Sol:Invictus. So the request stands. ;)
Otherwise I'd throw Allied Worlds/Forces or What If into the fray. If I had the slightest clue, I'd even attempt to help.

Offline Macfie

Played Whatif in March with the new MediaVPS-2014 and didn't have any problems with it.  Since I didn't have any problems with DOS when I played, it will go to the bottom of the list.  Since I'm the only one working on restorations right now I'd rather focus on things that don't work.
Normal people believe that if it isn't broke, don't fix it. Engineers believe that if it isn't broke, it doesn't have enough features yet.
An optimist sees the glass half full; the pessimist sees it half empty. An engineer sees that the glass is twice as big as it needs to be.

Offline Sarkoth

• Ser Campaign-listador
What build did you use back in March for What If?

Dawn of Sol still works fine, I never said anythign different. It uses mediavps though and those are definitely dated. What doesn't work at all is Allied Worlds and Allied Forces though.

Offline Macfie

I played through DOS with the 2014 mediavps without any problems.  I did not use the cockpits though.
Played Whatif with 10481 through 10506.  I always use the latest nightly build.

Offline Sarkoth

• Ser Campaign-listador
I don't have all the nightlies in between on my system right now, but What If stops working completely somewhere between 3.7.2 RC1 and 3.7.2 RC3. 3.7.2 RC1 seems playable with 74 warnings, but I haven't managed to get that number to any less.

I'll try DoS with mediavps_2014 again then, last time I tried I was under the impression the mediavps_2014 weren't loading as intended at all.

Offline CT27

I tried your guys' suggestion about downloading SFS from the author's site itself and it worked!  Upon loading I got 17 errors in the warning screen but it seemed to work fine despite that.  Something I noticed while playing though.  Sometimes Ulysses fighters would just be a dot on the radar instead of the standard fighter 'triangle'.  Amun bombers would also be a dot instead of the bomber symbol.  It's not a big deal but just something I noticed.

Concerning something else you guys are talking about:  I played Allied Forces and it seems playable to me despite getting a lot of error warning screens before missions.  However, I would not be opposed to that getting a cleanup by the FSCRP.

Offline Sarkoth

• Ser Campaign-listador
I haven't started Allied Forces, but in the very first mission of Allied Worlds, there is supposed to happen a capship battle. And it's basically just half a dozen Ulysses flying around with Hercs and stuff. Hilarious, but not really playable to full enjoyment.

Oh and I'm glat you got Storm Front working. =)

Offline Yarn

Something I noticed while playing though.  Sometimes Ulysses fighters would just be a dot on the radar instead of the standard fighter 'triangle'.  Amun bombers would also be a dot instead of the bomber symbol.  It's not a big deal but just something I noticed.
That's because those ship classes (GVF Ulysses and GVB Amun) aren't assigned radar icons by either Storm Front or MV_RadarIcons.vp. (MV_RadarIcons.vp does assign icons to the GTF Ulysses, the PVF Ulysses, and the PVB Amun, though.)
"Your fighter is running out of oil.  Please check under the hood and add more if necessary"
--strings.tbl, entry 177

"Freespace is very tired.  It is shutting down to get some rest."
--strings.tbl, entry 178

Offline SF-Junky

• Bread can mold, what can you do?
I've seen this thread just now, so sorry for not having answered. The versions of Storm Front which are currently available in public are all very old and outdated. I've been working on a major Upgrade (and episode III)  for a couple of years now which has made some great progress lately. I hope to get it released until next year. Until then the least disappointing and annoying thing to do might to consider Storm Front a (partially) defunct and extremely outdated campaign.

Offline CT27

I've run into another mission breaking problem.

It's the mission "Captain Phe".  I get the defecting shuttle/transport to its first point ("time to" goes down to zero) but then it just sits there instead of going toward the Vasudan corvette like it's supposed to.  Even after I destroy all of the bombers attacking the friendly corvette, both ships just sit there doing nothing.

Offline CT27

I died five times to get past that mission and was able to continue the campaign...the last mission I completed was Act 3 mission 1 "In Sheep's Clothing". 

The loading screen (green background with GTVA logo) would come up and the loading bar would go all the way across the screen so it looks good but then the game crashed like before.  I can't get into the game with a debug build.

Here is something I came across though:

Weapon explosion 'bomb_flare' does not have an LOD0 anim!
KERNELBASE.dll! IsNLSDefinedString + 1154 bytes
kernel32.dll! WaitForSingleObject + 18 bytes
fs2_open_3_7_1_20140902_r11061-DEBUG.exe! <no symbol>
kernel32.dll! BaseThreadInitThunk + 18 bytes
ntdll.dll! RtlInitializeExceptionChain + 99 bytes
ntdll.dll! RtlInitializeExceptionChain + 54 bytes

That wasn't the only one like that I ran across.  There were a number of notices that that something "does not have an LOD0 anim"

Offline AdmiralRalwood

• The Cthulhu programmer himself!
    • Twitter
Weapon explosion 'bomb_flare' does not have an LOD0 anim!
That's a Warning, not an Error. You can hit "no" to continue and try to reach the actual crash.
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Codethulhu GitHub wgah'nagl fhtagn.

schrödinbug (noun) - a bug that manifests itself in running software after a programmer notices that the code should never have worked in the first place.

When you gaze long into BMPMAN, BMPMAN also gazes into you.

"I am one of the best FREDders on Earth" -General Battuta

<Aesaar> literary criticism is vladimir putin

<MageKing17> "There's probably a reason the code is the way it is" is a very dangerous line of thought. :P
<MageKing17> Because the "reason" often turns out to be "nobody noticed it was wrong".
(the very next day)
<MageKing17> this ****ing code did it to me again
<MageKing17> "That doesn't really make sense to me, but I'll assume it was being done for a reason."
<MageKing17> **** ME
<MageKing17> THE REASON IS PEOPLE ARE STUPID
<MageKing17> ESPECIALLY ME

<MageKing17> God damn, I do not understand how this is breaking.
<MageKing17> Everything points to "this should work fine", and yet it's clearly not working.
<MjnMixael> 2 hours later... "God damn, how did this ever work at all?!"
(...)
<MageKing17> so
<MageKing17> more than two hours
<MageKing17> but once again we have reached the inevitable conclusion
<MageKing17> How did this code ever work in the first place!?

<@The_E> Welcome to OpenGL, where standards compliance is optional, and error reporting inconsistent

<MageKing17> It was all working perfectly until I actually tried it on an actual mission.

<IronWorks> I am useful for FSO stuff again. This is a red-letter day!
* z64555 erases "Thursday" and rewrites it in red ink

<MageKing17> TIL the entire homing code is held up by shoestrings and duct tape, basically.

Offline CT27

I tried hitting no to continue and it kept giving those notices and I couldn't get into the mod on the debug build.