Author Topic: RELEASE: Twisted Infinities  (Read 17713 times)

Re: RELEASE: Twisted Infinities
Thinking about it, all Alphas should probably be guardianed, elseway it wouldn't make sense that Alpha 3 always gets the same callsign.

Offline Thisisaverylongusername

• This is fine.
It's implied that your wingmen eject when their ship gets destroyed, so it's the same wingmen every mission.
If the opposite of pro is con, then is the opposite of progress Congress?

Ah yeah, it was like a year since I played the full campaign from start to end.. :warp:

Offline Nyctaeus

• The Slavic Engineer
  • My "FS Ships" folder is 582gb.
    • Minecraft
    • Exile
Yeah, they eject when they die. Recovery operations are mentioned several times in debriefing.

Interesting approach tho. I remember only one campaign with similar mechanics. Can't remember what, but either dying wingmates or commant used to send a message about ejection.
Exile | Shadow Genesis | Inferno | Series Resurrecta  | DA Profile | P3D Profile

Proud owner of NyctiShipyards. Remember - Nyx will fix it!

All of my assets including models, textures, skyboxes, effects may be used under standard CC BY-NC 4.0 license.

Offline Madeye

• Knowledge is power
I recall Shadow Genesis, but not sure

Well if it was SG Nyx would certainly remember that. :p

Offline starlord

Vassago’s dirge has the player “eject” in the intro mission.

I'm getting a crash on current Linux builds when displaying the new models in the tech room.
journalctl shows a segfault in function __strncpy_avx2 of libc.so.6

I'm attaching the log:
https://fsnebula.org/log/5e77f85dcb0d3321b2c9862f

Offline Madeye

• Knowledge is power
Heck, I've played so many campaigns this year that my memory starts to blur :D

Offline Nyctaeus

• The Slavic Engineer
  • My "FS Ships" folder is 582gb.
    • Minecraft
    • Exile
Heck, I've played so many campaigns this year that my memory starts to blur :D
Shadow Genesis is my first project released... Huh, years ago. We implemented indestructible wingmates instead of ejecting mechanics there.
Exile | Shadow Genesis | Inferno | Series Resurrecta  | DA Profile | P3D Profile

Proud owner of NyctiShipyards. Remember - Nyx will fix it!

All of my assets including models, textures, skyboxes, effects may be used under standard CC BY-NC 4.0 license.

Offline Black Wolf

• Twisted Infinities
  • Hey! You! Get off-a my cloud!
    • Visit the TI homepage!
Wow - so many times I thought about dumping this, seeing it finished and released...I didn't expect that to ever happen to be honest. Thanks so much to those who picked up the campaign and managed to get it somewhat presentable for release.

I never got around to figuring out Knossos, but now I have a reason to. Looking forward to a chance to see what's changed, and play through this with fresh eyes.
TWISTED INFINITIES · SECTORGAME· FRONTLINES
Rarely Updated P3D.
Burn the heretic who killed F2S! Burn him, burn him!!- GalEmp

Offline starlord

Hi black wolf.

If I might ask, what does this entail for the rest of the TI acts?

Hi black wolf.

If I might ask, what does this entail for the rest of the TI acts?

It's pretty much dead. There are (supposed to be) a few more missions for Act 2 (which is more like an Act 1.5) but none of the FSCRP staff has them.

Offline Iido

Oh my goodness!! This is out?! :D I ran across this mod a few years ago and I thought it sounded so interesting, but I thought it had been completely abandoned... man, both this and Aftermath II coming out in the same month. What a time to be a Freespace fan.

I know it's incomplete but at least we get to play what's here, I'm happy for that. Thanks for releasing!

Offline 0rph3u5

• Oceans rise. Empires fall.
I am finished, really liked it a lot - certainly one for the "A-/B+"-category, and highly recommended.  :yes:

Nitpicks:
- During Mission 4 - is the custom gauge supposed to be placed in the centre of the HUD? - If yes, not my first choice.
- Some of text does not appear to have been copied from an outside file correctly - it mostly affects special characters like " ` " and " ' " - so sometimes, contractions in the text look a little off, e.g.  "HEO s" instead of "HEO's".
- The mask file for fiction viewer is bugged, the scroll up and scroll down buttons are reversed.
Spoiler:
- There are debris from the Harmony-stand-in visible during the Newscast at the end. I think Axem has a fix for that.
Spoiler:
- Speaking of Mission 4, that mission might be better served by giving "stealth" to some of the inert components to shorten the target list; it makes cycling through targets easier when actually can target enemies

Issues:
- For a campaign so hot on consecutive deployments, multiple red-alters in succession is ... not that elegant. To just go with a variable based solution would have been preferable, and entirely workable as there seems to be always a bit of downtime at the ending of a mission. The variable based solution has the slight issue that you need an actual save point, which makes it difficult for mission that don't have that. Difficulty mitigation, since one would be losing the ability to go back a mission, is not that problematic as you can just have opt-in "everything gets a layer of damage reduction" after a number of fails - which isn't that hard, especially since you already have a prompt-box script. (If I had the spare time, I would offer my services to make that happen; I have the building blocks, but I would prefer to improve on pervious versions fist.)
Spoiler:
- Mission 11 (the Pegasus one), Red wing was not added to the F9 targeting group.
Spoiler:
- During the final mission some of the danger zone indicators stuck around and were visible even after all the missiles of that salvo were gone.

"As you sought to steal a kingdom for yourself, so must you do again, a thousand times over. For a theft, a true theft, must be practiced to be earned." - The terms of Nyrissa's curse, Pathfinder: Kingmaker

==================

"I am Curiosity, and I've always wondered what would become of you, here at the end of the world." - The Guide/The Curious Other, Othercide

"When you work with water, you have to know and respect it. When you labour to subdue it, you have to understand that one day it may rise up and turn all your labours into nothing. For what is water, which seeks to make all things level, which has no taste or colour of its own, but a liquid form of Nothing?" - Graham Swift, Waterland

"...because they are not Dragons."

Spoiler:
- During the final mission some of the danger zone indicators stuck around and were visible even after all the missiles of that salvo were gone.

IIRC the point about them was that there's a 2nd wave being launched from the destroyer that's being target as well. :nervous:

Offline Admiral Nelson

• Resurrecter of Campaigns
  • The GTA expects that every man will do his duty.
I have pushed a small patch to fix some of the issues mentioned above:

Spoiler:
added "stealth" to containers in mission 4 to reduce the target list
added  Red wing  to the F9 targeting group in Mission 10.
added ship-guardian-threshold to Alpha wing in the first missions of the red alert cycles
made changes to the Unut rescue mission for balance, and to remove some problems with Alpha wing's orders
fixed issues with ETS gauges in some missions
fixed a problem with the fiction viewer buttons
« Last Edit: April 02, 2020, 07:20:03 am by Admiral Nelson »
If a man consults whether he is to fight, when he has the power in his own hands, it is certain that his opinion is against fighting.

Offline 0rph3u5

• Oceans rise. Empires fall.
Quick question:
Who authored the model for the Mobile Mining Facility? - I might have a use for it sometime down the line.
"As you sought to steal a kingdom for yourself, so must you do again, a thousand times over. For a theft, a true theft, must be practiced to be earned." - The terms of Nyrissa's curse, Pathfinder: Kingmaker

==================

"I am Curiosity, and I've always wondered what would become of you, here at the end of the world." - The Guide/The Curious Other, Othercide

"When you work with water, you have to know and respect it. When you labour to subdue it, you have to understand that one day it may rise up and turn all your labours into nothing. For what is water, which seeks to make all things level, which has no taste or colour of its own, but a liquid form of Nothing?" - Graham Swift, Waterland

"...because they are not Dragons."

Offline Admiral Nelson

• Resurrecter of Campaigns
  • The GTA expects that every man will do his duty.
Vasudan Admiral.  Nyctaeus upgraded the maps.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2020, 12:16:18 pm by Admiral Nelson »
If a man consults whether he is to fight, when he has the power in his own hands, it is certain that his opinion is against fighting.

Offline Cobra

• Snake on a Cain
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
The Devil and the Deep Blue Sea has Beta and Gamma wings with missing secondary weapons.

[EDIT] Pretty sure it has to do with campaign files. Loading the mission in the simulator shows all ships with secondary weapons, but not when playing it from the ready room.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2020, 02:30:01 pm by Cobra »
To consider the Earth as the only populated world in infinite space is as absurd as to assert that in an entire field of millet, only one grain will grow. - Metrodorus of Chios
I wept. Mysterious forces beyond my ken had reached into my beautiful mission and energized its pilots with inhuman bomb-firing abilities. I could only imagine the GTVA warriors giving a mighty KIAAIIIIIII shout as they worked their triggers, their biceps bulging with sinew after years of Ivan Drago-esque steroid therapy and weight training. - General Battuta