Author Topic: Let's Play... BattleTech! Rise of the Hard Light Brigade  (Read 62610 times)

Offline niffiwan

• Eluder Class
Re: Let's Play... BattleTech!
Regarding salvage, is it better to form a new lance from the new gear (Crab, Vindicator, 2x Scorpion tanks) or use them as upgrades/spares for the existing 12?  You already indicated that deploying more of the unit increases the opposition count, which may mean upgrades/spares is of more benefit?
Creating a fs2_open.log | Red Alert Bug = Hex Edit | MediaVPs 2014: Bigger HUD gauges | 32bit libs for 64bit Ubuntu
----
Debian Packages (testing/unstable): Freespace2 | wxLauncher
----
m|m: I think I'm suffering from Stockholm syndrome. Bmpman is starting to make sense and it's actually written reasonably well...

Offline Scotty

• 1.21 gigawatts!
  • Guns, guns, guns.
The two Scorpions aren't repairable.  I need to figure out exactly what conditions vehicles recovered from the field are repairable, because I had some misconceptions on that one.  Next time I'm going to try immobilizing, and then leaving the vehicle for the end of the battle.  Potentially risky, but getting more vehicles would be great.

The Crab is already fully repaired and ready to go, just needs a new pilot (eventually we'll get some of those).  The Vindicator, on the other hand, is going to take probably a couple weeks to get back up and running.

Offline Polpolion

• The sizzle, it thinks!
    • Minecraft
I love the pictures of the map and your account of what's happening but I hope you decide to drop some of the images of text now that people have the gist of how the game works. :p

At the end of the engagement, everybody from the vehicles that were knocked out survived, miraculously (a couple had five hits.  Six hits, and you're dead).  I picked up the Crab, the salvageable Vindicator, and a pair of Scorpion tanks for salvage, and let the employer have the rest.  My techs will have their hands full with these for the next while.

Can I assume we recovered our own disabled combat vehicles too? Those things were a huge asset.

Offline deathfun

• Hey man. Peace. *Car hits them* Frakking hippies
    • Minecraft
So glorious
So very glorious

Fairly impressive about no casualties despite the fact the vehicles were so close
"No"

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.
Why the **** would jump directly in front of an Awesome! STINGGGEEEERRRRR! Seriously, AI, you're a derp, seek help.
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
With how crazy in-depth that whole awesome account was, I'm picturing someone trying to work it all out with actual pen/paper and dice...*shudder*

Offline NGTM-1R

• Syndral Active. 0410.
With how crazy in-depth that whole awesome account was, I'm picturing someone trying to work it all out with actual pen/paper and dice...*shudder*

If it had been done on actual PnP it would have gone faster, mainly because deployments would have been done better.

A Feddie Story

Offline Scotty

• 1.21 gigawatts!
  • Guns, guns, guns.
Also, the initial 20 turns or so of "I move my Awesome one hex forward and fire no weapons" would have taken about five seconds each.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
Pen and paper Battletech is basically unplayable with more than a few units on the board, so you're right to shudder. It is in most mechanical respects a pretty dreadful game.

Offline niffiwan

• Eluder Class
In PnP, dread any unit mounting large numbers of LBX ACs or SRM launchers.  You'll spend a month of Sundays rolling all the hit locations every time it fires...
Creating a fs2_open.log | Red Alert Bug = Hex Edit | MediaVPs 2014: Bigger HUD gauges | 32bit libs for 64bit Ubuntu
----
----
m|m: I think I'm suffering from Stockholm syndrome. Bmpman is starting to make sense and it's actually written reasonably well...

Offline Scotty

• 1.21 gigawatts!
  • Guns, guns, guns.
One on one, it's fairly easy (if boring) to play.  Four on four, it starts slowing down perceptibly.  Twelve on twelve (company engagement), it slows to a crawl, and you'd be lucky to get through a dozen turns in three or four hours.

Larger than that I've never even attempted.  I have heard of regiment-size games that go for several days, though.

@niffiwan: fishing box and lots of tiny d6s.  Rolls the hit locations 20 at a time. :P

Offline NGTM-1R

• Syndral Active. 0410.
Larger than that I've never even attempted.  I have heard of regiment-size games that go for several days, though.

Regimental Combat Team vs Clan Cluster. Took two weeks to play.

A Feddie Story

Offline Patriot

Just assign the Crab to me ;D

Offline headdie

• i don't use punctuation lol
  • Lawful Neutral with a Chaotic outook
    • Minecraft
    • Headdie on Deviant Art

Regimental Combat Team vs Clan Cluster. Took two weeks to play.

damn thats some dedication
Minister of Interstellar Affairs Sol Union - Retired
quote General Battuta - "FRED is canon!"
Contact me at [email protected]
My Release Thread, Old Release Thread, Celestial Objects Thread, My rubbish attempts at art

Offline deathfun

• Hey man. Peace. *Car hits them* Frakking hippies
    • Minecraft
That's more accurate to insanity
"No"

Offline NGTM-1R

• Syndral Active. 0410.
Pretty much. It was the centerpiece of our The Dragon Roars release/Operation Bulldog event.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2013, 04:30:06 am by NGTM-1R »

A Feddie Story

Offline niffiwan

• Eluder Class
@niffiwan: fishing box and lots of tiny d6s.  Rolls the hit locations 20 at a time. :P

My anal retentive nature says, I hope you're using 20 different colour patterns in those 40x d6  :p

Just assign the Crab to me ;D

At 5/8 it's too slow for the scout lance :)
----
----

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
It does make an excellent addition to the Combat lance though (or the HQ lance, if we're willing to drop the Manticore; I am NOT going to give up the Spoonzer!)
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline niffiwan

• Eluder Class
Yeah, it'd be a really good replacement for the Combat lance Vedette, iffy IMO if it's an improvement over the Manticore.
----
----

Offline NGTM-1R

• Syndral Active. 0410.
I should point out that while everyone went wtf about the Icarus (AND THEY SHOULD), the Crab is itself pretty rare in this timeframe. The appearance of Crabs and similar Star League-era designs among Kurita forces only ten years ago with the DCMS during the War of 3039 was enough to cause morale problems for their opponents. Outside of the Draconis Combine Mustered Soldiery and the ComGuards, Crabs are still virtually unknown.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2013, 05:15:50 am by NGTM-1R »

A Feddie Story