Author Topic: [RELEASE] Shadow Genesis: 2017 Edition  (Read 179776 times)

Offline Gee1337

• Sh!tlord/Human Garbage
Re: The Shadow is coming... SHADOW GENESIS: RELEASE
I thought they were multi player files, but I thought it might be worth a shot as i did not have them in my root folder.

One other thing I noticed is that the display is set to 16 bit colour depth. I doubt it would make much of a difference but would it be worth setting it to 32 bit?

Looks as though there have been quite a few mods in that install as well, so another thing worth a try would be a fresh install on FS2, then playing Shadow Genesis before installing any other mods.

Just a coupla thoughts! :)
I do not feel... I think!

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
Yes, setting the color depth to 32-bit is definitely a good idea.  It may not solve this particular problem, but I've seen many users run into issues with it in the past.

Offline 5thAce

I just played through this campaign, and it was very enjoyable. Going to another galaxy and fighting someone besides the Shivans was quite refreshing. Is there anything planned for Shadow Genesis in 2015?
« Last Edit: May 14, 2015, 12:13:32 am by 5thAce »

Offline CT27

Is SG playable with the 2014 mediavps?

Do you have any other mods or campaigns that are being picked up from your root Freespace folder?

I've just had a look at your log and I don't recognise the multi-missionpack.vp and the mulit-missionvoicepack.vp! I think these could be interferring with the Shadow Genesis mod. However, I am not an expert on these matters so I could be wrong, but I would suggest to remove them from your root Freespace 2 folder then try to load the mod.

If this doesn't work, then perhaps try to create a new pilot if you haven't done so already!

Hi everyone, sorry if I hadn't reply to this topic for a long while, even by removing these multi-missionpack and its voice files doesn't do anything.

I've just re-downloaded the whole campaign from MediaFire and still the problem persist.

I also recreate my own pilot profile and still doesn't work.

I think it has to do with some of the ship's specifications, especially that gunship.

Can someone please rectify the ship's specs? Thanks in advance, I've heard that Shadow Genesis has a extremely good script in the campaign.

I thought they were multi player files, but I thought it might be worth a shot as i did not have them in my root folder.

One other thing I noticed is that the display is set to 16 bit colour depth. I doubt it would make much of a difference but would it be worth setting it to 32 bit?

Looks as though there have been quite a few mods in that install as well, so another thing worth a try would be a fresh install on FS2, then playing Shadow Genesis before installing any other mods.

Just a coupla thoughts! :)

Because I don't know how to set the resolution size on my computer in the old launcher. Until I downloaded the yal_launcher recently, then the resolution is set correctly.

Not sure how it works but if you want to view the .log file, I'll send you an updated one soon.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2015, 10:23:12 am by KnossosAD2367 »
I'm a great collector of mods, 73 and counting! Ask me for the list.

Hi everyone, I managed to bypass the first two interludes and tried several mission but it stopped working after 3 Posiedon freighters come and collect their cargo.

I checked the debug mode and I found out this error

---------------------------
Assertion Failed!
Assert: pss->triggered_rotation_index >= 0

File: modelanim.cpp

Line: 849

ntdll.dll! NtWaitForSingleObject + 12 bytes
KERNELBASE.dll! WaitForSingleObject + 18 bytes
fs2_open_3_7_2-DEBUG.exe! SCP_DumpStack + 354 bytes
fs2_open_3_7_2-DEBUG.exe! WinAssert + 194 bytes
fs2_open_3_7_2-DEBUG.exe! model_anim_set_initial_states + 366 bytes
fs2_open_3_7_2-DEBUG.exe! ship_create + 2314 bytes
fs2_open_3_7_2-DEBUG.exe! parse_create_object_sub + 77 bytes
fs2_open_3_7_2-DEBUG.exe! parse_create_object + 193 bytes
fs2_open_3_7_2-DEBUG.exe! mission_did_ship_arrive + 583 bytes
fs2_open_3_7_2-DEBUG.exe! mission_maybe_make_ship_arrive + 39 bytes
fs2_open_3_7_2-DEBUG.exe! mission_eval_arrivals + 429 bytes
fs2_open_3_7_2-DEBUG.exe! mission_parse_eval_stuff + 35 bytes
fs2_open_3_7_2-DEBUG.exe! game_simulation_frame + 1060 bytes
fs2_open_3_7_2-DEBUG.exe! game_frame + 497 bytes
fs2_open_3_7_2-DEBUG.exe! game_do_frame + 239 bytes
fs2_open_3_7_2-DEBUG.exe! game_do_state + 379 bytes
fs2_open_3_7_2-DEBUG.exe! gameseq_process_events + 237 bytes
fs2_open_3_7_2-DEBUG.exe! game_main + 782 bytes
fs2_open_3_7_2-DEBUG.exe! WinMain + 330 bytes
fs2_open_3_7_2-DEBUG.exe! __tmainCRTStartup + 358 bytes
fs2_open_3_7_2-DEBUG.exe! WinMainCRTStartup + 15 bytes
KERNEL32.DLL! BaseThreadInitThunk + 36 bytes
ntdll.dll! RtlSetCurrentTransaction + 212 bytes
ntdll.dll! RtlSetCurrentTransaction + 159 bytes

[ This info is in the clipboard so you can paste it somewhere now ]

Could someone help check on this error? Thanks in advance.

Offline AdmiralRalwood

• The Cthulhu programmer himself!
    • Twitter
Hi everyone, I managed to bypass the first two interludes and tried several mission but it stopped working after 3 Posiedon freighters come and collect their cargo.

I checked the debug mode and I found out this error

Assertion Failed!
Assert: pss->triggered_rotation_index >= 0

File: modelanim.cpp

Line: 849

ntdll.dll! NtWaitForSingleObject + 12 bytes
KERNELBASE.dll! WaitForSingleObject + 18 bytes
fs2_open_3_7_2-DEBUG.exe! SCP_DumpStack + 354 bytes
fs2_open_3_7_2-DEBUG.exe! WinAssert + 194 bytes
fs2_open_3_7_2-DEBUG.exe! model_anim_set_initial_states + 366 bytes
fs2_open_3_7_2-DEBUG.exe! ship_create + 2314 bytes
fs2_open_3_7_2-DEBUG.exe! parse_create_object_sub + 77 bytes
fs2_open_3_7_2-DEBUG.exe! parse_create_object + 193 bytes
fs2_open_3_7_2-DEBUG.exe! mission_did_ship_arrive + 583 bytes
fs2_open_3_7_2-DEBUG.exe! mission_maybe_make_ship_arrive + 39 bytes
fs2_open_3_7_2-DEBUG.exe! mission_eval_arrivals + 429 bytes
fs2_open_3_7_2-DEBUG.exe! mission_parse_eval_stuff + 35 bytes
fs2_open_3_7_2-DEBUG.exe! game_simulation_frame + 1060 bytes
fs2_open_3_7_2-DEBUG.exe! game_frame + 497 bytes
fs2_open_3_7_2-DEBUG.exe! game_do_frame + 239 bytes
fs2_open_3_7_2-DEBUG.exe! game_do_state + 379 bytes
fs2_open_3_7_2-DEBUG.exe! gameseq_process_events + 237 bytes
fs2_open_3_7_2-DEBUG.exe! game_main + 782 bytes
fs2_open_3_7_2-DEBUG.exe! WinMain + 330 bytes
fs2_open_3_7_2-DEBUG.exe! __tmainCRTStartup + 358 bytes
fs2_open_3_7_2-DEBUG.exe! WinMainCRTStartup + 15 bytes
KERNEL32.DLL! BaseThreadInitThunk + 36 bytes
ntdll.dll! RtlSetCurrentTransaction + 212 bytes
ntdll.dll! RtlSetCurrentTransaction + 159 bytes

[ This info is in the clipboard so you can paste it somewhere now ]

Could someone help check on this error? Thanks in advance.
Could you please attempt to reproduce this error with a recent Nightly Build? At some point post-3.7.2, that unhelpful Assert() was changed into an Assertion() that actually says the name of the ship, which could help determine what's gone wrong here.
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Codethulhu GitHub wgah'nagl fhtagn.

schrödinbug (noun) - a bug that manifests itself in running software after a programmer notices that the code should never have worked in the first place.

When you gaze long into BMPMAN, BMPMAN also gazes into you.

"I am one of the best FREDders on Earth" -General Battuta

<Aesaar> literary criticism is vladimir putin

<MageKing17> "There's probably a reason the code is the way it is" is a very dangerous line of thought. :P
<MageKing17> Because the "reason" often turns out to be "nobody noticed it was wrong".
(the very next day)
<MageKing17> this ****ing code did it to me again
<MageKing17> "That doesn't really make sense to me, but I'll assume it was being done for a reason."
<MageKing17> **** ME
<MageKing17> THE REASON IS PEOPLE ARE STUPID
<MageKing17> ESPECIALLY ME

<MageKing17> God damn, I do not understand how this is breaking.
<MageKing17> Everything points to "this should work fine", and yet it's clearly not working.
<MjnMixael> 2 hours later... "God damn, how did this ever work at all?!"
(...)
<MageKing17> so
<MageKing17> more than two hours
<MageKing17> but once again we have reached the inevitable conclusion
<MageKing17> How did this code ever work in the first place!?

<@The_E> Welcome to OpenGL, where standards compliance is optional, and error reporting inconsistent

<MageKing17> It was all working perfectly until I actually tried it on an actual mission.

<IronWorks> I am useful for FSO stuff again. This is a red-letter day!
* z64555 erases "Thursday" and rewrites it in red ink

<MageKing17> TIL the entire homing code is held up by shoestrings and duct tape, basically.

I ran through fs2_open_3_7_0.exe and the error has cleared off for the mission.

Thanks AdmiralRalwood for the tip in nightly build. :yes: :)

Offline Nyctaeus

• The Slavic Engineer
  • My "FS Ships" folder is 582gb.
    • Minecraft
    • Exile
:bump:

As you may or may not know, first chapter of Mystery Project is nearing completion. We decided inside our team to take care about our first child and improve it. Ladies and gentelmen, I'd like to announce that SG 2.0 may happen, but... Reborn will happen instead :D

This is pretty lax annoucement, and the proper one will come in time :]. So far I can tell you some basic things:
- ALL missions revmapped - Yes. Despite the fact that Shadow Genesis is 47 mission long, what makes it one of the longest campaings ever released, we decided to revmap almost all of the missions. We hate big, random BoE battles and other stuff in current release so we decided to make a lot of changes and improvements. No more random big battles, no more random waves of enemy caphsips, disarming tons of beams and other annoying things. the Reborn will be much easier and instinctive than previous release.
- THREE campaigns! - Yup. SG is insanely long and may be exhausted because of that, and Reborn... Meh :P. Reborn will be even longer. We decided to divide Shadow Genesis into three independent, 15-20 mission long campaigns sharing the same modpack.
- Improved Storyline - The title speaks for itself. We discuss about many important changes to our story and we agreed that we can make our story better. Comparable to what we already have in Mystery Project, SG is... Need to be improved :). The story starts in Ross 128 onboard GTD Arcturus and her mission is to find out terrorists hideout somewhere in the system, but this is just a beginning!
- Vasudans! - Yup, the ZODs are coming to Wolf's System Group with new fleet of cool ships and weapons, and will play a significant role in Reborn!
- HTL Nightmare Fleet - All of the Nightmare ships will be revmapped, as well as many terran ships.

More info... Coming soon! Remember guys, this is Reborn. We are gonna change a lot of things to give you basicly new project of the best possible quality. First SG release was quite an experiment. We will cut off what you hate, improve what you love and give you much more fun for long, lonely evenings.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2016, 10:30:18 pm by Betrayal »
Exile | Shadow Genesis | Inferno | Series Resurrecta  | DA Profile | P3D Profile

Proud owner of NyctiShipyards. Remember - Nyx will fix it!

All of my assets including models, textures, skyboxes, effects may be used under standard CC BY-NC 4.0 license.

Offline MatthTheGeek

• Captain Obvious
  • Frenchie McFrenchface
Got rid of pirate Deimos yet?
People are stupid, therefore anything popular is at best suspicious.

Mod management tools     -     Wiki stuff!     -     Help us help you

666maslo666: Releasing a finished product is not a good thing! It is a modern fad.

SpardaSon21: it seems like you exist in a permanent state of half-joking misanthropy

Axem: when you put it like that, i sound like an insane person

bigchunk1: it's not retarded it's american!
bigchunk1: ...

batwota: steele's maneuvering for the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: you mispelled grâce
Awaesaar: grace
batwota: oh right :P
Darius: ah!
Darius: yes, i like that
MatthTheGeek: the way you just spelled it it means fat
Awaesaar: +accent I forgot how to keyboard
MatthTheGeek: or grease
Darius: the killing fat!
Axem: jabba does the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: XD
Axem: bring me solo and a cookie

Offline Nyctaeus

• The Slavic Engineer
    • Minecraft
    • Exile
Got rid of pirate Deimos yet?
Yup

...and BTW: You are not funny.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2015, 09:28:50 pm by Betrayal »
Exile | Shadow Genesis | Inferno | Series Resurrecta  | DA Profile | P3D Profile

All of my assets including models, textures, skyboxes, effects may be used under standard CC BY-NC 4.0 license.

Offline CT27

If I may make a small request:

One piece of audio in SG I really liked was that track that played at the main menu (where you selected 'campaign', 'tech room', etc.) 

It was soothing and peaceful and pleasant to listen to.  I hope that stays. :)

Offline Nyctaeus

• The Slavic Engineer
    • Minecraft
    • Exile
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QEx0_7N7JBA

Yup. It's menu music for first act - Chasing Ghosts. Two other acts are gonna have similar tracks in the same style.

Offline procdrone

• Formerly TheHound
  • Balance breaker! Thats me!
    • Steam
If you want to listen over to any track from any mod, you may simply open up the VP file and listen as well :) But that doesn't give you Youtube directions anyway unfortunately.
--Did it! It's RELEASED! VeniceMirror Thread--

Offline CT27

Since SG1 ended on kind of an open ended situation, I was hoping for a sequel...but I'll definitely give this a shot.

Since SG1 ended on kind of an open ended situation, I was hoping for a sequel...but I'll definitely give this a shot.
I hope we'll make a sequel someday too :P. Generally we have far too many great ideas and far too little time to turn them into campaigns.

We have plans for a sequel, but it will be after Mystery Project and after Reborn. Our general concept is to switch between these two projects and create one campaign for the first one, then one for the second, then first again etc.

Both I and Betrayal have the feeling that Shadow Genesis is a great campaign, immersive, challenging and unique, but on many fields we experimented, played with a form, tried a lot of stuff in mission design and story-telling to see how they will be received. We want to preserve what was great in SG - storyline, tactical battles, snipers, infiltrators, etc., but improve aspects of gameplay we find irritative or non-intuitive.

Offline CT27

I'm glad to hear the idea of SG2 isn't completely dead. :)

Offline Nyctaeus

• The Slavic Engineer
    • Minecraft
    • Exile
But the most important things are, well... Most important :P. Our current project is Mystery Project that is almost ready for beta testing. Our queue is:
1. Mystery Project - Act I
2. SG: Reborn
3. We will see

It's quite hard to have two projects of that size. SG is 47 mission long and first act of Mystery Project is 25 mission long. We have... 72 freded missions and cutscenes, and this number will be even higher. Both projects have insanely big modpacks and imagine that SG is the smaller one :D. There are countless hours of freding, modelling, mapping, converting, playtesting, bugfixing, polishing etc.

Summary is simple: We don't know how much time and determination we have. Especialy with size of our projects. Real life is slowly consuming us out. If SG2: The Silent Eyes is ever gonna be made, I don't foresee soon release.

Offline CT27

I understand there are priorities. :)

This Mystery Project has got me real curious though...any chance we could get some clue as to what the plot will be in the near future?

Offline Nyctaeus

• The Slavic Engineer
    • Minecraft
    • Exile
I revealed only a shreds of actual plot with screenshots and released models. Campaign start in Sol and involve two factions - Earth Federated Nations, post-GW GTA remnant and Outer Rim Syndicate - player's faction and liberal colonial superpower. Mystery Project tells the story of events in Sol, after mysterious subspace cataclysm.

...and this is not another war in Sol :P