Author Topic: Underrated Games  (Read 10713 times)

I just got back into BZ1 today.  How do you make it worse with a mouse?

Oh, and I guess I'm sorta confusing underrated games with under-sold/marketed games.  Silly me.

Well, yeah, Escape Velocity was a game, which in a lot of ways was just like a 2D version of Freelancer, with a totally different story (series of stories, actually).  I loved it a lot better than I liked Freelancer, which is pretty much 2D in a 3D world anyway.
Could we with ink the ocean fill, and were the skies of parchment made
Were every stalk on earth a quill, and every man a scribe by trade
To write the love of God above, would drain the ocean dry
Nor could the scroll contain the whole, though stretched from sky to sky!

Offline Cobra

• Snake on a Cain
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
I said it plays BETTER with a mouse. :wtf:
To consider the Earth as the only populated world in infinite space is as absurd as to assert that in an entire field of millet, only one grain will grow. - Metrodorus of Chios
I wept. Mysterious forces beyond my ken had reached into my beautiful mission and energized its pilots with inhuman bomb-firing abilities. I could only imagine the GTVA warriors giving a mighty KIAAIIIIIII shout as they worked their triggers, their biceps bulging with sinew after years of Ivan Drago-esque steroid therapy and weight training. - General Battuta

Offline Ulala

• Groooove Evening, viewers!
Not sure about Republic Commando, but Savage comes to my mind.
I am a revolutionary.

Offline TrashMan

• T-tower Avenger. srsly.
  • God-Emperor of your kind!
    • Minecraft
    • FLAMES OF WAR
OUTCAST...Nuff said.
Nobody dies as a virgin - the life ****s us all!

You're a wrongularity from which no right can escape!

Offline tifi

• GTF Apollo Fan Club
heh, some memories in here.

anyone remember Ascendancy?

Offline Unknown Target

• Get off my lawn!
  • Push.Pull?
There was this game where you were a space marine or something, and had to fight these insects, but the cool thing was that you had this nifty jetpack and different armor classes...it was 3rd person. Great game, just cant' remember the name of it for the life of me.

Did it involve a lot of strange humor, alien with big heads, blue skinned space babes and a giant named Kabuto?

lol  yeah that was a wierd game.  Fun, though.  And it did kinda combine strategy/shooter.  Except for the kabuto.  With him, you just smash stuff and eat things.
Could we with ink the ocean fill, and were the skies of parchment made
Were every stalk on earth a quill, and every man a scribe by trade
To write the love of God above, would drain the ocean dry
Nor could the scroll contain the whole, though stretched from sky to sky!

Offline Snail

• SC 5
FreeSpace 2.

It was excellent but few even know about it. :(

Offline Mefustae

• Chevron locked...
FreeSpace 2.

It was excellent but few even know about it. :(
Again, there's a difference between 'underrated' and not selling well. :rolleyes:

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
  • It's prounounced jayartoo 0x6A7232
    • Steam
How were D1 & DII rated?  I think D3 wasn't all that bad, either... don't know why it flopped.

Offline CP5670

• Dr. Evil
  • Global Moderator
They were all rated highly in general. The first two games sold pretty well too, from what I remember.

Offline Cyker

Underrated, as in didn't do as well as they deserved games:

System Shock 2 (If it had done better, LGS would still be here!)
Project Eden (One of the last decent 4-player co-op FPs-style games. Actually its more like a 3D version of Lost Vikings set in the future...)
Armed and Dangerous (It's basically Giants: Citizen Kabuto, only sicker, funnier and harder! )
BattleZone (It's an RTS crossed with an FPS with vehicles!! So ahead of its time... Driving a hover-tank has never been so fun, and someone needs to port the RAVE GUN!! to FS2... Only thing that comes close is BZ2, but that's nowhere near as good, although the community fixes make the game a LOT better)
Tribes: Vengence (Actually, this sucked compared to Tribes 1 and 2, but the storyline was pretty epic)
Anachronox (Plays like Squaresoft RPG; Damned funny. IMHO the best game that Ion Storm made)
Planescape:Torment (Buggiest piece of crap I've ever played, but the game is just so damned epic... and deep...)

Offline CP5670

• Dr. Evil
  • Global Moderator
I actually liked BZ2 better, despite its clunky graphics/physics engine. They cleaned up many of the interface issues in the first game and units generally seemed to be balanced out better.

Offline Sarafan

• No Title

Tribes: Vengence (Actually, this sucked compared to Tribes 1 and 2, but the storyline was pretty epic)

Oh, Tribes:V! I really liked the singleplayer storyline  :yes: :nod: although I think they could've gone further, the problem with the game was that it was too much focused on the multiplayer. :(

Two come to mind right now.... Undying and Wheel of Time.
That's cool and ....disturbing at the same time o_o  - Vasudan Admiral

"Don't play games with me. You just killed someone I like, that is not a safe place to stand. I'm the Doctor. And you're in the biggest library in the universe. Look me up."

"Quick everyone out of the universe now!"

Offline StarSlayer

• Men Kaeshi Do
    • Steam
the Journeyman Project series was always a favorite of mine.  One of the old point and click adventure games with lots of puzzles and impressive graphics

Basically you played as Agent 5 of the Temporal Security Agency and had to make sure people didn't FUBAR the time line.  The plots were usually deep, and had plenty of quirky humor.

“Think lightly of yourself and deeply of the world”

Wheel of Time and Battlezone were pretty good. BZ always annoyed me on the more difficult skill levels though. It was clearly a case of ramping up enemy hitpoints because the AI couldn't get tougher. I mean on the hardest setting unless you had a flash cannon it was impossible to kill more than one tank without an ammo reload.
Watch out for the Guns! They'll getcha!

Offline brozozo

• Used to be d3r3k.
    • MySpace
I could never get past the sixth U.S. mission, and I don't think I ever attempted to tackle the Soviet campaign.

Offline CP5670

• Dr. Evil
  • Global Moderator
the Journeyman Project series was always a favorite of mine.  One of the old point and click adventure games with lots of puzzles and impressive graphics

Basically you played as Agent 5 of the Temporal Security Agency and had to make sure people didn't FUBAR the time line.  The plots were usually deep, and had plenty of quirky humor.

I have had the Mac version of that game (the first one) for a long time, but have never been able to play it. My ancient Mac is too old to run it at a reasonable speed and the Basilisk emulator also runs it too slowly. :(