Author Topic: Valve ditching PS3  (Read 3670 times)

Offline Kosh

• A year behind what's funny
Source

Keighley: Are you guys working on PlayStation 3 here now, trying to understand it, trying to get better at it?

Gabe: Uh, no. Not in any real way.

Given what I've heard about how hard it is to code for the PS3, I'm not surprised.
"The reason for this is that the original Fortran got so convoluted and extensive (10's of millions of lines of code) that no-one can actually figure out how it works, there's a massive project going on to decode the original Fortran and write a more modern system, but until then, the UK communication network is actually relying heavily on 35 year old Fortran that nobody understands." - Flipside

Brain I/O error
Replace and press any key

Offline colecampbell666

• I See Dead Pictures
  • Evolution and ascension.
That was on Spike last night, good on them.
Gettin' back to dodgin' lasers.

Offline Nuke

• Ka-Boom!
  • Mutants Worship Me
thats why the sega saturn failed, nobody knew how to code for multiprocessing systems, which is what all modern consoles seem to be.
I can no longer sit back and allow communist infiltration, communist indoctrination, communist subversion, and the international communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids.

Nuke's Scripting SVN

Offline Androgeos Exeunt

• Captain Oblivious
  • Prevents attraction.
    • Wordpress.com Blog
And yet the XBox 360 still lives... :wtf:
My blog

Quote: Tuesday, 3 October 2023 0133 UTC +8, #general
MP-Ryan
Oh you still believe in fairy tales like Santa, the Easter Bunny, and free market competition principles?

Offline blackhole

• Still not over the rainbow
  • Destiny can suck it
    • Black Sphere Studios
The Xbox 360 has DirectX. Furthermore, you can use XNA on it. the PS3 on the other hand has a weird ass cell processor that took a physics grad student to effectively utilize.

Offline Fury

• The Curmudgeon
And yet the XBox 360 still lives... :wtf:
Xbox 360 is the easiest console to develop a game on. It has well known and standardized DirectX API. Not to mention it makes PC ports much easier to do if they want to.

Offline Kosh

The Xbox 360 has DirectX. Furthermore, you can use XNA on it. the PS3 on the other hand has a weird ass cell processor that took a physics grad student to effectively utilize.

The XBox 360 uses another wierd cpu called "Xenon" (another IBM chip), which according to wikipedia has at least some elements the Cell does, but it doesn't seem like a standard wintel platform. I guess it all comes down to the API, since DirectX is used in this and the PC.
"The reason for this is that the original Fortran got so convoluted and extensive (10's of millions of lines of code) that no-one can actually figure out how it works, there's a massive project going on to decode the original Fortran and write a more modern system, but until then, the UK communication network is actually relying heavily on 35 year old Fortran that nobody understands." - Flipside

Brain I/O error

Offline Fury

• The Curmudgeon
Xenon is not that weird, it is a PowerPC triple-core in-order CPU. The Cell on the other hand contains a PowerPC but adds additional features on the chip, such as eight SPU's. The Cell is more versatile as a CPU but also more difficult to code on.

It's too bad x86 instruction set has such a stranglehold in the computing industry, otherwise PC's could use more ideal RISC architechtures (like PowerPC) instead of the monolithic CISC, aka x86.

Offline Kosh

Correct me if I'm wrong, but considering how bloated the x86 instruction sets have gotten wouldn't it become necessary sooner or later to either drop ancient instructions that aren't used or scrap x86 all together?

Either way we can thank wintel for said stranglehold, but to be fair the Itanium IMO their intended method of dumping it, too bad it didn't catch on.

Brain I/O error

Offline Bobboau

• Just a MODern kinda guy
    Just MODerately cool
    And MODest too
no, the reason that x86 is so bloated is because they need to maintain backward compatibility, if they lose that than they lose the one thing that guarantees them market dominance.
Bobboau, bringing you products that work... in theory
learn to use PCS
creator of the ProXimus Procedural Texture and Effect Generator
My latest build of PCS2, get it while it's hot!
PCS 2.0.3

DEUTERONOMY 22:11
Thou shalt not wear a garment of diverse sorts, [as] of woollen and linen together

Offline Bobboau

• Just a MODern kinda guy
    Just MODerately cool
    And MODest too
thats why the sega saturn failed, nobody knew how to code for multiprocessing systems, which is what all modern consoles seem to be.

there marketting didn't help
Bobboau, bringing you products that work... in theory
learn to use PCS
creator of the ProXimus Procedural Texture and Effect Generator
My latest build of PCS2, get it while it's hot!
PCS 2.0.3

DEUTERONOMY 22:11
Thou shalt not wear a garment of diverse sorts, [as] of woollen and linen together

Offline deathfun

• Hey man. Peace. *Car hits them* Frakking hippies
    • Minecraft
the PS3 on the other hand has a weird ass cell processor that took a physics grad student to effectively utilize.

At least the newer games in development are now actually utilizing this cell

Example would be Uncharted 2
"No"

Offline Kosh

no, the reason that x86 is so bloated is because they need to maintain backward compatibility, if they lose that than they lose the one thing that guarantees them market dominance.

Yes, but the problem is there's only so much space on a processor die, especially with lower power embedded chips like the Atom it really does become a problem.

Brain I/O error

Offline BS403

• I'm just sitting in my Cave.
The processors for the ps3 and Xbox 360 were developed by the same team at the same time.  IIRC the processors aren't that different,

Edit: Its hard to tell which one is better, if either.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2009, 02:10:08 pm by BS403 »
http://woogleville.myminicity.com/

Homer: Aw, twenty dollars! I wanted a peanut!
Homer's Brain: Twenty dollars can buy many peanuts.
Homer: Explain how.
Homer's Brain: Money can be exchanged for goods and services.
Homer: Woo-hoo!

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
Mm, dunno about that.

Ironically the PS3 graphics card is less powerful than that of the 360, so saying one is better than the other is an iffy proposition.

The processors for the ps3 and Xbox 360 were developed by the same team at the same time.  IIRC the processors aren't that different,  The ps3 one is just more powerful and harder to fully utilize.

I don't know how much of this is still true (it's ~3 years old now) then the Cell would be more powerfull, if it wasn't broken.
Find me as Hojo Norem elsewhere...

butter_pat_head... a name picked in sheer desperation more than 10 years ago from some super obscure Red Dwarf reference.

Offline BS403

• I'm just sitting in my Cave.
Something interesting I just read.  The Xbox 360 has about a 50% failure rate and about a 40% rate for  a second failure.  The ps3 has a 10% and the Wii has a 6% failure rate.  I never would have thought it would be that high for the 360. 
http://woogleville.myminicity.com/

Homer: Aw, twenty dollars! I wanted a peanut!
Homer's Brain: Twenty dollars can buy many peanuts.
Homer: Explain how.
Homer's Brain: Money can be exchanged for goods and services.
Homer: Woo-hoo!

Offline redsniper

• Aim for the Top!
You just saw that on Kotaku, right? Well if not, we were discussing an article from there last night on IRC saying the same thing (50% failure of 360s), and their source is a poll by GameInformer, which probably isn't the most accurate population sample...
"Think about nice things not unhappy things.
The future makes happy, if you make it yourself.
No war; think about happy things."   -WouterSmitssm

Hard Light Productions:
"...this conversation is pointlessly confrontational."

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.
The Xbox probably pushes its hardware harder too.
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

Offline deathfun

• Hey man. Peace. *Car hits them* Frakking hippies
    • Minecraft
Last I checked, it wasn't the system itself that pushes it's hardware, but the games produced for it
"No"