Author Topic: FreeSpace Medals  (Read 3727 times)

Offline AV8R

Ok, if you're like me (God help you if you are) and you're a little obsessive about the quality of your gameplay and piloting skills in FreeSpace and are equally as obsessed with earning every medal offered in the campaigns because, hey, it's a reflection of your quality of gameplay and piloting skills, it can drive you a little nuts to see a hole in your medals case where a medal should be.

I know I've flown certain missions numerous times to fulfill whatever requirement was necessary to earn a medal for that mission and I know others have been as "dedicated" as myself as to filling their cases with every medal offered. I guess it gives players (er, sorry... pilots) a somewhat menial sense of accomplishment (yet, in your head you can still hear that little voice of reason saying "C'mon, it's just a game!" right?)  :P

Having been through FS1 and FS2 too many times to count, I recognized that I still find myself, at the end of each campaign, viewing my medals case with a sense of pride. Yet, at the site of all of those shiny medals, it still bothers me - especially at the end of FS1 - to see that infernal hole in the middle of the medals case where a small shield insignia (similar to SOC Unit Crest in FS2) should be.

So here we go.... Does anyone have a clue/theory as to why the outline for shield crest is there but no medal/crest was offered/created to fill that place in the FS1 medals case? Has someone perhaps, in their FREDing or in their perusing through the original source code, stumbled opon any remarks of a medal that never made it into the game? Is anyone else as obsessive-compulsive about these stupid things as I am? (....calling therapist now.....)

Can't wait to hear these replies....  :nervous:

Offline Black Wolf

• Twisted Infinities
  • Hey! You! Get off-a my cloud!
    • Visit the TI homepage!
Aren' those your wings? just do the training missions and you'll get it.

See here as well: http://www.hard-light.net/wiki/index.php/Awardable_Medals
TWISTED INFINITIES · SECTORGAME· FRONTLINES
Rarely Updated P3D.
Burn the heretic who killed F2S! Burn him, burn him!!- GalEmp

Offline AV8R

No, it's a shield-shaped hole below the spot where the wings are - right smack-dab in the middle of the medals case. Wish I could grab a screen shot....

Offline captain-custard

• previously known as andicirk
  • one sandwich short of a picnic
in FS1 that is the posistion of the wings ....

"Duct tape is like the force. It has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the universe together."

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
PrintScreen will grab a screenshot.

It sounds like you're playing FSPort rather than FS1.  We allocated that spot for the GTI Unit Crest, but we never actually granted the medal in Silent Threat: Reborn. :nervous:  This is because the first mission already gives you a medal, and it would have been odd to grant the GTI Unit Crest in any mission after the first.

I suppose we could just disable the medal in the first mission and award the GTI Unit Crest instead...

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.
What's your reasoning for not granting both? The Unit Crest is closer to a qualification than a medal.

Or is it an engine issue?
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
It's not possible to grant more than one medal in a mission.

And yeah, the GTI Unit Crest is more like a qualification, so I felt that, given a choice between the two, people might prefer the higher-value award.

Offline AV8R

Yep, I'm playing FSPort - and the rest of your replies explains it.

Besides, wouldn't that kinda make sense? You successfully complete your first GTI mission assignment so now you are "qualified" to be an official GTI pilot?

As for receiving either the medal or the GTI Crest after the first mission - I'd still like to have my medals case completely filled.... but that's just me.  :D

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
Another possibility would be to award the crest after STR02, which is the first mission of a red-alert pair.  You wouldn't see it in the debriefing, but it would still appear in the medal case.  However, you wouldn't see it if you checked the case after the first mission.

Offline azile0

• Resident Trekkie
Seems pretty damn complicated to fill a hole in our vanity case.
You get one chocolate chip.

. <--- There it is.

Self-proclaimed master of the Keypad.

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
You could always just play the first mission in the original Silent Threat. It was one of the better ones. :D
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline NGTM-1R

• Syndral Active. 0410.
Actually now I'm curious if we could have a separate awards set using the mechanics of Ace or whatever for qualifications and related not-quite-award-awards.

Or how hard it would be to allow the awarding of multiple medals.

A Feddie Story

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions

Where would you fit a second medal in the current interface?

Offline z64555

• Self-proclaimed controls expert
    • Minecraft
    • Steam

Maybe only show the one that has the highest "honor" value and have the debriefing notify you of all awarded medals (including the "hidden" ones)?
Secure the Source, Contain the Code, Protect the Project
chief1983

------------
funtapaz: Hunchon University biologists prove mankind is evolving to new, higher form of life, known as Homopithecus Juche.
z64555: s/J/Do
BotenAlfred: <funtapaz> Hunchon University biologists prove mankind is evolving to new, higher form of life, known as Homopithecus Douche.

Offline AV8R

I suppose we could just disable the medal in the first mission and award the GTI Unit Crest instead...

I still like this idea the best. Probably easiest to implement too.

It gets my vote!  :yes:

Offline NGTM-1R

• Syndral Active. 0410.

Dunno, under the first one? You can always just show only the top one and trust the mission writer to remember to mention them, or simply add a line of text.

A Feddie Story

Docked. Sliding. Medal. Gallery. Oh yes. :nod:

Just kidding. :p

Offline Cobra

• Snake on a Cain
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
in FS1 that is the posistion of the wings ....

Heh, Admiral. Did you cheat for that rank or did you actually earn it by flying an endless amount of campaign missions in FS1? :P
To consider the Earth as the only populated world in infinite space is as absurd as to assert that in an entire field of millet, only one grain will grow. - Metrodorus of Chios
I wept. Mysterious forces beyond my ken had reached into my beautiful mission and energized its pilots with inhuman bomb-firing abilities. I could only imagine the GTVA warriors giving a mighty KIAAIIIIIII shout as they worked their triggers, their biceps bulging with sinew after years of Ivan Drago-esque steroid therapy and weight training. - General Battuta

Offline z64555

• Self-proclaimed controls expert
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
Go read a book. :P
Secure the Source, Contain the Code, Protect the Project
chief1983

------------
funtapaz: Hunchon University biologists prove mankind is evolving to new, higher form of life, known as Homopithecus Juche.
z64555: s/J/Do
BotenAlfred: <funtapaz> Hunchon University biologists prove mankind is evolving to new, higher form of life, known as Homopithecus Douche.