Author Topic: Wii wii wii, all the way home?  (Read 19689 times)

Offline aldo_14

• Gunnery Control
Re: Wii wii wii, all the way home?
Ok, just finished after 4 hours solid playing Wii sports. 

The remote is very easy to use; it does take a few minutes to recognise the sensitivity, but once you do so it's easy to navigate.  It's sometimes a little dodgy in some Wii sports games (Boxing, whilst truly excellent and incredibly fun, sometimes misses the 'actions' if you rush), but so long as you maintain a degree of sensibleness about the controls it's the most intuitive and god-damn fun way of playing I've ever encountered.  I loved an hour long game of bowling - bowling! - on it with the family.  Make no mistake, the controls make a gigantic difference; I'm not lying when I say it's the most fun I've had gaming.  Ever.  And I don't think I've ever heard as many laughs playing, either.

And the sight of my Dad refusing to give up the controller for a games machine is truly a wonderous one :D

Technically, the machine is small, quiet, and easy to set up.  The sensor bar is tiny and non-intrusive.  The graphics, whilst obviously basic versus the 360 or PS3, are still clean, crisp and clear.  It's a machine, I should note, setup for actual simple-but-fun type games rather than Moody Crotchguard Shooter 13: Revenge of the Alien Zombies.

More to follow once I've got net connectivity and perhaps bought some more games. :)

Offline Ulala

• Groooove Evening, viewers!
I already posted this in a previous thread, but in case anyone missed it, here's my thoughts. I wrote this in response to a friend of mine who was convinced Nintendo had screwed up big time:

So I'm told you're having doubts in Nintendo's ability to pull off the unusual, but definitely lovable Wii. I implore you to listen to your (not very) elder when I say that you're mistaken to worry my friend. I bought my Wii a couple days ago (my brother works at Game Crazy, so I had the connection to snag one), and let me tell you, I have never in my life had as much fun on a console as I have with Wii.

Granted, I'm still a genuine PC gamer and I'm sure I always will be. Playing Supreme Commander, Crysis, Portal, etc... on any console is by leaps and bounds not the same as on my computer (if you haven't heard of these games, please look up their trailers on youtube, they're amazing). However, what my computer cannot do, consoles can: that is provide a (usually) less real, but more goofy, fun, and not-so-long-term-commitment-necessary gaming experience. This experience has its place, and I want to be a part of it, just like basically every other gamer out there. I can't think of any hardcore computer gamers who haven't touched a console. Nintendo's Wii-remote takes the fun that consoles provide to the next level.

I will admit, I was skeptical at first, not toward the functionality (I trust Nintendo in functionality, especially after having played many hours of DS), but rather toward the long term life span. Would I really want to be swinging that stupid thing around after the 20th hour of Zelda, having dealt with it every excrutiating hour along the way? The simple answer: absolutely. Now, I haven't had time to play Zelda for 20 hours yet, but I have played for nearly 12; I can tell that by hour 20, and even after eventually beating the game, I will only want more literal sword swinging, shield bunting, and point and shoot slingshotting that the Wii-remote has to offer. Seriously! Beating the crap out of enemies with actual movement rather than pushing buttons leaves a strange satisfaction that I can't really even describe. This is why you, just like everyone else, must try before passing judgement.

After you've played for a few hours, if you still don't think Nintendo's new setup has what it takes to meet your console gaming needs, then it is my firm belief that it's your loss. You'll be missing out on genuine fun. And that's not all; the Wii's innovative system offers more than just a new fun way to play for you, it offers itself to everyone you know. Incredibly intuitive, my mom and I were able to play 18 holes of golf today in Wii Sports with little to no problem (even though she hasn't touched a console uh.... ever). Now, Mom might not be as interested in Zelda, but Wii's wide variety of games (many of which are still on the way) ensures that there's something everyone can enjoy. I greatly enjoy playing video games with people who haven't seen the light yet, and Wii opens their eyes with incredible ease. Trust me, I've seen it happen.

Yes, Nintedo has in fact turned me into a bit of a fanboy, but not without a very, very good reason: Wii.

There you have it. Now I'm just hoping Zelda can last me until the next set of game releases (Mario, Metroid, Smash Bros, Wario Ware, Mario Party, etc). :)
I am a revolutionary.

Offline aldo_14

• Gunnery Control
My wii code; 6097 8193 2567 3391

Offline Deepblue

• Corporate Shill
Bloody hell. Nintendo needs to abandon the code system ASAP.

Um, so what good is your code with no online games right now anyway?

Saying "what's your Wii code?" to fellow Nintendo enthusiasts and laughing when they give you a baffled look. It makes you feel superior. :p

My friend claims to have information on when a store is getting a shipment, so, what the hell, I'll give it a shot. Wish me luck! (Please... I need it. :blah:)
"You need to believe in things that aren't true. How else can they become?" -DEATH, Discworld

"You can fight like a krogan, run like a leopard, but you'll never be better than Commander Shepard!"

Offline bizzybody

• Space Viking
    • Fandemonium 2008!
Oh joy, now, in addition to notifications on IRC channels being ASL free zones, will have to add WC for ASLWC free zones. :P

ASL = Age Sex Location
"They were really only teeny little A-bombs, honest!" Dr. Charles Dart

Offline Kaboodles

• Kill the meat. Save the metal.

At least it's 1 code per console now, instead of on code per console/game combination.

Also, you can trade Miis and stuff from what I hear.

Offline Mefustae

• Chevron locked...
To anyone having issues with the Wiimote strap:

Offline Ulala

:lol:

Oh, and my Wii code is 6460 6612 1629 2396.  :)
I am a revolutionary.

Offline aldo_14

• Gunnery Control

Yup.  Luckily it's not as bad as with the DS, because it's one per machine (rather than per game), and can be aliased with a nickname.  The 2-way confirmation is a bit irritating, but not too bad.

It allows my Miis to mingle.

Offline Ulala

Mingle with my Miis, Aldo!  ;) ;7
I am a revolutionary.

Offline aldo_14

• Gunnery Control
Oooh, you big tease, you.

Offline Unknown Target

• Get off my lawn!
  • Push.Pull?
This thread is getting creepy....:nervous:

Offline Ulala

I wouldn't have it any other way.
I am a revolutionary.

Offline Ulala

My wii code; 6097 8193 2567 3391

You've been registered with my Wii.  :)
I am a revolutionary.

Offline aldo_14

• Gunnery Control
Wheeeeee!

No, wait.

Wiiiiiiiiii!

Have Stalin and Osama popped round yet?

I just got my Wii's WiFi connection working, so I might as well tell you my number:  ;)

3661 2854 1878 6695
Find me as Hojo Norem elsewhere...

butter_pat_head... a name picked in sheer desperation more than 10 years ago from some super obscure Red Dwarf reference.

Offline Ulala

Cool.  :yes:
I am a revolutionary.

Offline Deepblue

• Corporate Shill
So I just read the first multiplayer Wii game will use individual friend codes. So is Nintendo not enforcing this or what?

BTW: Mii's are creepy fun.

Offline aldo_14

• Gunnery Control
So I just read the first multiplayer Wii game will use individual friend codes. So is Nintendo not enforcing this or what?

BTW: Mii's are creepy fun.

My suspicion is that it's connected to the interconnectivity with the DS version (DBs' referring to Pokemon something something, which apparently can get the Pokething data or something off the DS game); do the DS games have internet battling or somesuch?  Albeit I'm not sure the details are confirmed, as they were from an IGN preview of the Japanese version.

Have to admit, more and more I'm wishing Wii Sports was online though.  It'd be sodding ace, and Nintendo IMO have missed a trick not getting online titles out for launch.  Plus side is that everything is working without a hitch so far, although I still find the notion of updating a console rather odd.