Announcements > Announcements

Interview article with Seth Dickinson - AKA our very own General Battuta!

<< < (10/12) > >>

X3N0-Life-Form:
Finally got some time to read the interview ! (The rest of the thread will have to wait, though)

The fact that a lot of the questions are oriented towards diversity is quite telling indeed...

--- Quote ---Diversity is realism. I don’t think of it as ‘adding diversity’, I think of it as removing blinders.
[...]
As a rule, history was more diverse and complicated than the caricatures we remember.
--- End quote ---
That about sums up a lot of the issues that I have with standard "cis-white men club" stories and mindsets. The world is so much richer than most people realise. And when you point out how improbable this all is, it's usually met with a shrug and a "does it really matter?", missing the point altogether. Hell, it often takes me a while to notice that kind of thing myself. Case in point :

--- Quote ---[In] War in Heaven you play as a dark-skinned lesbian of African descent
--- End quote ---
This is something that flew completely over my head, my mental picture of Laporte had always been of a standard young white girl (with dark hair).

Another nugget that stood out for me:

--- Quote ---I know I have to make a conscious effort to do this, because left in my own comfort zone I’d just read technothrillers, space opera, and nonfiction about horrible diseases.
--- End quote ---
For some reason, I really like that last bit :P

Mito [PL]:
Since I can't really respond with something really constructive or something along the lines, I'll just say: thank you for sharing your insight on the matters, Battuta. This interview should definitely serve as a guideline and food for thought for young aspiring writers around the place (it definitely gave me some inspiration even though I'm not a writer of any kind).

Also, thank you for the opportunity to read this interview, Iain. It's definitely cool to see HLP get some movement in the social media section.

Spoon:

--- Quote from: X3N0-Life-Form on May 01, 2019, 08:16:31 am ---This is something that flew completely over my head, my mental picture of Laporte had always been of a standard young white girl (with dark hair).
--- End quote ---
Same, but blond.
In our defense, I don't think (or at least, I don't remember) BP actually giving a ingame description of what Laporte looks like(?).

The E:
The closest to a physical description of her is something like "raven like", iirc, which is very much open to interpretation (and probably relates more to her physicality rather than physique)

General Battuta:
Yeah it’s quite ambiguous, which tends to let people fill in their cultural defaults (which are not, usually, consciously determined). She’s described as shorter than Simms and darker, in a corvine sort of way.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version