Hosted Projects - Non-FreeSpace > FringeSpace

An Open Offer of Hosting for FREE.

(1/3) > >>

Arky Mosuke:
I used to be known as [HP] Josh Kiser, some of you will hate me, some of you will love me, most of you probably have no idea who I am.

Anyhow. I was around as a kid for Tachyon and while it was a seriously underrated game for it's time, I found myself doing a playthrough to the Bora ending as of recent just to see the game again and hear Jake Logan in action. Even bought the exact model Logitech 3D Pro to play it.

My god I'm so much better than I used to be... but that's beside the point.

I HAVE AN OFFER, for ANYONE who wants to do it. I know there used to be those with dreams of making a little universe on a server, that people could connect to and ♥♥♥♥ around with, etc.

I have dedicated hardware, on battery backups, with over a year of solid 99% up time.

This server has 16 Logical Cores @3.6GHz that Boost to 3.9-4GHz, 48GB of RAM, and legitimate 2012 Datacenter license. I'm willing to host a Virtual Machine on this box, absolutely free, to anyone with legitimate means to bring a little part of Tachyon back to life. That can be in an form, arena server, Tachyon Universe (An original mod idea for the game as whole) or anything in the variant of what Tachyon was or can be.

My only stipulations are as follows.

1: I need a working proof of concept, I'm willing to set up a VM for you to see this in action.
2: If you do not have a working proof, some documentation of past working proof from previous mods for Tachyon.
3: Be kind. Understand what you're getting, and that you're getting it for free. Full fledged VM's with legitimate licenses are big money a month in most cases.
4: Be willing to keep me updated on progress, even let me pop in for previews from time to time if I'm curious.

In closing, I know this probably won't go anywhere other than maybe an arena or base wars server going up dedicated for people to jump on during planned times, but honestly I just wanted to offer something back to the community that for the most part, helped me mature through online interactions both positive and negative.

Thanks~

Ex-[HP] Josh Kiser.

EDIT: I realize I got a little overzealous with the use of the terms /back to life/. What I should have said was, make it twitch a little so we can all enjoy it. You know. =P

JGZinv:
Josh,

About the only thing that would be usable with that would be running a Tachyon server for old time's sake. We used to run one from home between RazorKiss and myself for several years before the lobby / IP became a problem. This is something you can do yourself if you wish with the mods and patches we have released previously. Most of the discussion that goes on is not on here, but on Discord. Note that anyone who wanted to play, would have to also have an updated modded game, otherwise it still points to the old Novalogic lobby some 3 versions ago.
The bottom line is that multiplayer dried up after the successive moves and problems. We hosted games once we figured out how again, pretty much no one was joining.
Everyone assumed it was dead, and it simply stayed that way. Sales on Steam and so forth are not enough to get it rolling again.

In so far as hosting a mod project there, I think you need to understand that there is no one outside of Fringespace/Tachyon who's 1. got the information. 2. the tenacity, 3. the amount of progress we had, to do any better.  Our personal problem is not having time, constantly fighting fires, and needing an injection of knowledge and more hands. To that end we are having some discussions.
Putting out a demo or proof of concept is no more possible now than it was a few years back, other than what we have had displayed to the community already. There are several technical issues in the way on top of those personal issues. 

Putting files and our assets on someone else's server to drop in an out at will on, that could be canceled or have any number of things happen to it, does not make sense. So I do not see that happening.  We have had our own website, storage, FTP, and so on in the past.

When we have a direction and are comfortable with announcing it, we'll have that up. Thanks for the offer.

Nightmare:
I'm not sure if it fits perfectly, but what is actually the status of FringeSpace, how much has been achieved of what needs to be done? All I know is that the team members have run into some horrible RL issues, and it's hard to estimate from the outside what the general status of this TC is.

General Battuta:
I would love the ability to mod Tachyon itself, just to make capships a little more fearsome, but it sounds like that's not really practical :(

Arky Mosuke:

--- Quote from: JGZinv on September 21, 2019, 03:09:13 pm ---Josh,

About the only thing that would be usable with that would be running a Tachyon server for old time's sake. We used to run one from home between RazorKiss and myself for several years before the lobby / IP became a problem. This is something you can do yourself if you wish with the mods and patches we have released previously. Most of the discussion that goes on is not on here, but on Discord. Note that anyone who wanted to play, would have to also have an updated modded game, otherwise it still points to the old Novalogic lobby some 3 versions ago.
The bottom line is that multiplayer dried up after the successive moves and problems. We hosted games once we figured out how again, pretty much no one was joining.
Everyone assumed it was dead, and it simply stayed that way. Sales on Steam and so forth are not enough to get it rolling again.

In so far as hosting a mod project there, I think you need to understand that there is no one outside of Fringespace/Tachyon who's 1. got the information. 2. the tenacity, 3. the amount of progress we had, to do any better.  Our personal problem is not having time, constantly fighting fires, and needing an injection of knowledge and more hands. To that end we are having some discussions.
Putting out a demo or proof of concept is no more possible now than it was a few years back, other than what we have had displayed to the community already. There are several technical issues in the way on top of those personal issues. 

Putting files and our assets on someone else's server to drop in an out at will on, that could be canceled or have any number of things happen to it, does not make sense. So I do not see that happening.  We have had our own website, storage, FTP, and so on in the past.

When we have a direction and are comfortable with announcing it, we'll have that up. Thanks for the offer.

--- End quote ---

I hear ya, and what I do mean by demo is quite literally just that, showing a working or previously working server that one would like to have hosted on a static IP with the uptime I have.

I wouldn't be offering to give someone space to host on my hardware if I didn't have the means to host just about as legitimately as if you had paid someone for a VM and static IP. For example anyone on my server has a range of IP's allocated to them and can have more if needed, the server never goes down without notification well in advance of servicing. And to give you an idea of how often that is, until 20 days ago when servicing the SAS carriage arrays, the up time for the server without reboot was 220+ days. With no service interruptions, no IP changes, etc.

I suppose the point about plopping down files on someone elses hardware could stand to raise a point, for sure. But I'm not offering that. I wouldn't want to become a database for the work project as a whole, while I do have the space for such it would be ludicrous to imply changing from a known secure database to store sourced files, complete/incomplete files, etc. I'm just offering to be the host for the server itself, that's all. Doesn't mean anyone will take the offer, and of course some people may even be opposed to it. It's their work after all, etc. I just thought it might be nice to offer hosting of a server on enterprise grade hardware, with battery backups, and dedicated IP. Since it would allow for people that do intend to enjoy the game to drop in and out without having to wonder or message someone to put it up.

Still! Thanks a bunch for the quick replies on here, I didn't expect to hear something the same day.

If anything comes up I will peak in and out from time to time, or someone can email me through the forum if needed. :D

EDIT: I realize I got a little overzealous with the use of the terms /back to life/ in my opening post. What I should have said was, make it twitch a little so we can all enjoy it. You know. Basically just meant to offer to host a server that people could rely on to be up when they wanna pop on and goof around, dog fight, etc. If it were to become more, I'd love to see it. But I have my doubts, and I wasn't trying to pull any attention from the original modders that did all the work on FringeSpace. I was offering it to yall. XD

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version