Author Topic: What's so great about Baldur's Gate?  (Read 13875 times)

Offline AdmiralRalwood

• The Cthulhu programmer himself!
    • Twitter
Re: What's so great about Baldur's Gate?
Maybe I'll grab that Minsc guy instead if he's a wizard.
HAHAhahahahaaaa...

* AdmiralRalwood wipes tears from his eyes

No, Minsc is not a wizard. Thank you for that glorious mental image, however.
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Codethulhu GitHub wgah'nagl fhtagn.

schrödinbug (noun) - a bug that manifests itself in running software after a programmer notices that the code should never have worked in the first place.

When you gaze long into BMPMAN, BMPMAN also gazes into you.

"I am one of the best FREDders on Earth" -General Battuta

<Aesaar> literary criticism is vladimir putin

<MageKing17> "There's probably a reason the code is the way it is" is a very dangerous line of thought. :P
<MageKing17> Because the "reason" often turns out to be "nobody noticed it was wrong".
(the very next day)
<MageKing17> this ****ing code did it to me again
<MageKing17> "That doesn't really make sense to me, but I'll assume it was being done for a reason."
<MageKing17> **** ME
<MageKing17> THE REASON IS PEOPLE ARE STUPID
<MageKing17> ESPECIALLY ME

<MageKing17> God damn, I do not understand how this is breaking.
<MageKing17> Everything points to "this should work fine", and yet it's clearly not working.
<MjnMixael> 2 hours later... "God damn, how did this ever work at all?!"
(...)
<MageKing17> so
<MageKing17> more than two hours
<MageKing17> but once again we have reached the inevitable conclusion
<MageKing17> How did this code ever work in the first place!?

<@The_E> Welcome to OpenGL, where standards compliance is optional, and error reporting inconsistent

<MageKing17> It was all working perfectly until I actually tried it on an actual mission.

<IronWorks> I am useful for FSO stuff again. This is a red-letter day!
* z64555 erases "Thursday" and rewrites it in red ink

<MageKing17> TIL the entire homing code is held up by shoestrings and duct tape, basically.

HAHAhahahahaaaa...

* AdmiralRalwood wipes tears from his eyes

No, Minsc is not a wizard. Thank you for that glorious mental image, however.

Okay I got confused by this:

Since your party is currently missing an offensive spellcaster (Xzar doesn't count) you should definitely find Minsc and do his quest.

Maybe he just meant I need to some ranged offense.
And maybe I don't even need a dumb wizard anyhow, but we'll see. They all have shoddy hitpoints and strike me as a liability.

Offline Herra Tohtori

• The Academic
  • Bad command or file name

"Magic is impressive, but now Minsc leads. Swords for everyone!"

Akalabeth, you really should find Minsc, recruit him, and do the quest he gives you.

All will become clear in time. So sayeth wise Alaundo.

Or -if you're not adverse to spoilers,

Spoiler:
Minsc will ask you to help him rescue someone he's sworn to protect. This person is probably the best DPS mage in the game, and can be recruited to party as long as you also keep Minsc in the party.

Also the spoiler is not very spoilerific because Minsc will basically tell you this in your first interaction with him, and you can probably guess the rest.
There are three things that last forever: Abort, Retry, Fail - and the greatest of these is Fail.

Offline niffiwan

• Eluder Class
"Magic is impressive, but now Minsc leads. Swords for everyone!"

Haha - Minsc is a classic, but I thought his "becomes leader line" was: "Minsc will lead with blade and bow.  Boo will take care of the details *squeeeek*"

(or was that BG2?)

Creating a fs2_open.log | Red Alert Bug = Hex Edit | MediaVPs 2014: Bigger HUD gauges | 32bit libs for 64bit Ubuntu
----
Debian Packages (testing/unstable): Freespace2 | wxLauncher
----
m|m: I think I'm suffering from Stockholm syndrome. Bmpman is starting to make sense and it's actually written reasonably well...

Offline Rodo

• Custom tittle
  • stargazer
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
Ahh minsc, good times.
el hombre vicio...

Haha - Minsc is a classic, but I thought his "becomes leader line" was: "Minsc will lead with blade and bow.  Boo will take care of the details *squeeeek*"
(or was that BG2?)

That was BG2 ^^.

Offline TrashMan

• T-tower Avenger. srsly.
  • God-Emperor of your kind!
    • Minecraft
    • FLAMES OF WAR
Okay, well I don't think I've met most of those people yet but I'll check it out.
The thief died (the bad guy) and I found some elf guy named Xan in the mine so for the moment he's in my party though, he seems a bit crap. He has some moonblade thing so I tried to throw armour spell on him and have him go into close combat but he gets killed pretty quick. Maybe I'll grab that Minsc guy instead if he's a wizard.

Xan can be good with proper gear and tactics - especially at later levels.
Nobody dies as a virgin - the life ****s us all!

You're a wrongularity from which no right can escape!

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
  • Aken Tigh Dekker- you've probably heard me
    • My old squad sub-domain
Mandatory Emoen fap post.
Campaigns I've added my distinctiveness to-
- Blue Planet: Battle Captains
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-Blue planet: Age of Aquarius
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-Ribos: The aftermath / -Retreat from Deneb
-Sol: A History
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Fortune Hunters (I think?)
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine
(Others lost to the mists of time and no discernible audit trail)

Your friendly Orestes tactical controller.

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....
GO GO DEKKER RANGERSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
President of the Scooby Doo Model Appreciation Society
The only good Zod is a dead Zod
NEWGROUNDS COMEDY GOLD, UPDATED DAILY
http://badges.steamprofile.com/profile/default/steam/76561198011784807.png

Yeah so I dropped Xan for Minsk and his girlfriend. Both the half-elf peeps and these two apparently need to travel together. When I released the other cleric from her stone state (at the niskel carnival) and told the half-elf chick to buzz off, Kalhid or whatever went with her too. So if I get rid of any four of those guys I need to find someone else in addition.

Though it might've been a mistake getting rid of xan because afterward realized I gave him a sleep spell which I used on the Black Talon Elites and other baddies to good effect. Maybe I can deal with those guys some other way that wont get half my guys killed again. :)

Offline TrashMan

• Minecraft
    • FLAMES OF WAR
You should be able to get anyone back in the party IIRC.

Not sure where you find them anymore.

In BG1, you find them where you left them.
if they left the screen (which happens if you have a too low or too high of a reputation, depending on the NPCś alignment), they don't come back.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2014, 09:02:47 am by -Joshua- »

Offline Herra Tohtori

• The Academic
  • Bad command or file name
What about the Friendly Arm Inn? Or was that just used as NPC hub in BG1 Tutu?
There are three things that last forever: Abort, Retry, Fail - and the greatest of these is Fail.

Thatś just Tutu/BG1NPCproject.

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.
Mandatory Emoen fap post.

I figured you for a Vicona man. You've toned down.
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

Yeah dunno if I'm doing that great with the game. Fought some Black Talon Elites in wherever, Larswood and with half the party dead I need to grind just to afford to resurrect a couple people. Pretty dumb that the cost of resurrection goes up when they increase in levels. And not sure how I would ever afford these 15,000 items that some places have.

Most of the +1 gear I found was just looted.

But yeah 400 bucks for a wizard that can get killed in two seconds by ice arrows or whatnot. A wizard who's greatest contribution is a three magic missiles a day and a few rocks from a sling. I don't get it. There are some decent wizard spells but so far they seem like a liability at level 3 or 4 or whatever she is. Dynaheir.  Of she has slots for a couple level 2 spells but I've not found any recently :P I'm thinking of ditching all the wizards and just taking a bunch of fighters with my clerics but I know that a few spells have been great on occasion

Though I've not been to Baldur's Gate yet maybe there's some good stuff to buy there :)
« Last Edit: March 12, 2014, 08:36:43 pm by Akalabeth Angel »

Offline Aesaar

Wait until you get level 3 spells.  Notable level 3 spells are Fireball and Lightning Bolt.  That's when mages can genuinely start dealing damage.  Though Magic Missile never stops being useful, even in BG2.

And you can't get to Baldur's Gate until you've cleared out the Cloakwood, so I wouldn't bother.  The Serpent's Causeway area (the bridge) might be worth exploring, but Ankhegs could also really **** you up.

I'd just **** around the 12 or so wilderness areas east and west of Beregost for a bit.  Tread very carefully around Peldvale and Larswood.

Offline Ace

• Truth of Babel
    • http://www.lordofrigel.com
Yeah dunno if I'm doing that great with the game. Fought some Black Talon Elites in wherever, Larswood and with half the party dead I need to grind just to afford to resurrect a couple people. Pretty dumb that the cost of resurrection goes up when they increase in levels. And not sure how I would ever afford these 15,000 items that some places have.

Most of the +1 gear I found was just looted.

But yeah 400 bucks for a wizard that can get killed in two seconds by ice arrows or whatnot. A wizard who's greatest contribution is a three magic missiles a day and a few rocks from a sling. I don't get it. There are some decent wizard spells but so far they seem like a liability at level 3 or 4 or whatever she is. Dynaheir.  Of she has slots for a couple level 2 spells but I've not found any recently :P I'm thinking of ditching all the wizards and just taking a bunch of fighters with my clerics but I know that a few spells have been great on occasion

Though I've not been to Baldur's Gate yet maybe there's some good stuff to buy there :)

Oh D&D 2nd edition. Where as a mage you go from slinging rocks to making gods tremble...
Ace
Self-plagiarism is style.
-Alfred Hitchcock

Offline TrashMan

• Minecraft
    • FLAMES OF WAR
Don't you just love Haste + Time Stop + Meteor Shower + Power Word: Kill + Death Could + Chain Lightning?

Offline Aesaar

When you know there's about to be a difficult battle: Chain Contingency 3 Abi-Dalzim's Horrid Wilting cast on nearest enemy when spotted.  Damage is 1d8 per caster level within AoE, iirc.  And it casts 3 of them.  It gets hilarious, even if the enemy saves successfully.

Chain Contingency can be so broken.

I think I might have lost the game already. When I attacked the Tranzig guy I gave him a chance to live or whatever and he mentioned Tazok is in Larswood or Pelvdale or something. So I ran around each area, killed everyone, and never found the bandit camp. Turns out I'm supposed to try and join them or somesuch to get the location? I figured the actual camp was IN that area, not just some contact information. I dunno, pretty stupid. I can't figure how else to get there and I think I've gone through most areas already. I even went to the farm north of the inn and tried to go east to trigger it (cheated and looked where it was on the map) but didn't show up, then went north of that to the bridge or whatnot and tried to trigger it again but still nothing.

Right now I'm assaulting that Durlag's tower or whatnot, my guys are all 5th or 6th level and I think I probably should have finished chapter 3 looong ago but as I say I dunno how to get to the bandit camp and given the map system I'm not sure it's open to me anymore. If not, it's a freaking dumb game. Maybe if I scour those maps again some other named bandit will happen along or something, but as I say I've killed 3 already. Two solo guys and one group of guys.

Or maybe I can try to get at it from the adjacent areas again but pretty sure I gave them all a go already.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2014, 09:38:19 am by Akalabeth Angel »