Author Topic: Release: Syrk: The Unification Wars: Act I OST  (Read 6511 times)

Offline ShadowsOfLight

• Wannabe Composer
    • Twitter
Release: Syrk: The Unification Wars: Act I OST
Hello all hlpers,

This should be old news to everyone by now, but Syrk has officially been closed. I think most of the dev team would agree that even though we weren't able to finish off our Act I release, there was a lot of great work that went in to this project, and a lot of learning that came out of it. My primary role on the team was to create the soundtrack; I was lucky to have such a supportive environment with which to learn and experiment with my compositional skills, and really got a lot out of this experience.

With that, I present to you:

Syrk: The Unification Wars: Act I OST
Primary Download Location (Bandcamp)
Secondary Download Location (MediaFire) (~160 MB, MediaFire)

The album consists of:
   - The song written for the teaser trailer
   - 1 theme song / mainhall track
   - 7 briefing tracks
   - 6 in-flight tracks (split into traditional FS2 tracks)
   - 1 set of victory/death tracks
   - 3 mission specific tracks

In total, the album is split up into 52 tracks running at about 63 minutes. Both downloads should have the files tagged with proper info, and PDFs are included for album art/booklet/CD Case - hopefully this will mostly recreate the experience of going out and buying a real CD. On Bandcamp you have a relatively wide choice of file format (MP3, AAC, FLAC, OGG, ALAC) but I am currently limited to giving out 200 free downloads per month; the MediaFire link consists of a zip file containing 320 kbps .mp3 renders of the music, which is just the equivalent packaged zip file given by Bandcamp.

The Bandcamp link is the primary one as you can fully preview / download individual tracks. It's also easier for me to keep track of and use, plus I put my other projects on the site so it keeps all my stuff together. Note that I opted to disallow any payment on this album, as I used work by Sololop, Rodo and an ingame screenshot on the cover art / booklet. (This might be automatically overruled if I go over the 200/month download limit though...)

It was created in 2011, while the Syrk project was still in its heyday - I had this finished just before the demo was released. I've gone through and given it a small overhaul, plus updated it with a couple of unreleased tracks that were written for Act III (where you would have discovered why the project was called Syrk, and how the Shivans were involved). I've also remastered all of the tracks, in order to fix places that had volume issues.

Note: There is a Creative Commons license included, which says that you are allowed to use this music noncommercially as long as you give me credit and don't edit the music. However, I can waive any of these conditions if needed (or to a reasonable extent rework some of the tracks for other projects). Anyone is allowed - let me rephrase that - everyone is encouraged to use this music in their own FS2 mods/missions (I can provide .ogg or .wav files if needed). If you want to use it outside of FS2 (still noncommercially), I'd love to know about it but that isn't required - again, feel free to use it. Sharing it with friends is cool too.

Special thank you to Sololop for the logo used on the front cover (the STA emblem) and Rodo for the Milky Way background (the skybox we were to use). On Bandcamp, you can look at track info for some quick fun-facts about each of the tracks.

Comments etc. are, of course, appreciated, and if there are any problems or oddities please let me know.

I hope that you enjoy the music!

<shamelessplug>Be sure to check out the also-free Secret Operations OST on Bandcamp.</shamelessplug>

<shamelessplug2>I will be posting a separate release thread (soon I hope) for the other album on the site, Formation I - in the meantime give it a listen as well! (Use the code hlprules for a 25% discount)</shamelessplug2>

Offline esarai

• Steathy boi
    • Minecraft
Re: Release: Syrk: The Unification Wars: Act I OST
These are some pretty dang skippy tracks.  Makes me sad to know Syrk is out of action.
<Nuclear>   truth: the good samaritan actually checked for proof of citizenship and health insurance
<Axem>   did anyone catch jesus' birth certificate?
<Nuclear>   and jesus didnt actually give the 5000 their fish...he gave it to the romans and let it trickle down
<Axem>and he was totally pro tax breaks
<Axem>he threw out all those tax collectors at the temple
<Nuclear>   he drove a V8 camel too
<Nuclear>   with a sword rack for his fully-automatic daggers

Esarai: hey gaiz, what's a good improvised, final attack for a ship fighting to buy others time to escape to use?
RangerKarl|AtWork: stick your penis in the warp core
DarthGeek: no don't do that
amki: don't EVER do that

Offline Nyctaeus

• The Slavic Engineer
  • My "FS Ships" folder is 582gb.
    • Minecraft
    • Exile
These are some pretty dang skippy tracks.  Makes me sad to know Syrk is out of action.
Second this. The same feelings here. Too bad you're done, guys...
Exile | Shadow Genesis | Inferno | Series Resurrecta  | DA Profile | P3D Profile

Proud owner of NyctiShipyards. Remember - Nyx will fix it!

All of my assets including models, textures, skyboxes, effects may be used under standard CC BY-NC 4.0 license.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
Conversely, I'm really glad Syrk fell apart - it would've been a tragedy to have all this talent locked up on a project that (going by the demo and leaked storyline) didn't seem like it would ever produce a worthy end product.

e: 'glad' compared to the alternative of circling the grave for years, it would've been cool if an interesting project could've been beaten into shape

Offline An4ximandros

• Transabyssal metastatic event
 That's... a very dickish thing to say Battuta.

EDIT: Ninja edits won't save you from me!

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
That's... a very dickish thing to say Battuta.

EDIT: Ninja edits won't save you from me!

Not particularly. ED's in the same situation right now. There's nothing so deleterious to this community as having a whole load of amazing **** (like this music, or ED's fantastic OST) chained to the belly of a foundering project.

Dissolution is a lot better than stagnation.

Offline wistler

Hey ShadowOfLight, I still have the USA emblem that I made for the project if you want to use it for promotional stuff or future album covers. It's about the only worthy input I had to the project and I'd be happy to see it put to use.

I just went through some of them, and they are fantastic. Much respect to ShadowsOfLight for releasing these tracks. :D

Offline Apollo

• Free Market Fascist
A lot of these feel like a compromise between FS1 and FS2's soundtracks. They're more mechanical than the former and more emotional than the latter.
Current Project - Eos: The Coward's Blade. Coming Soon (hopefully.)

Offline Rodo

• Custom tittle
  • stargazer
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
He's a good composer, so bad Syrk got stuck how it did.
We were pretty active at the demo release time, then somehow when Lucika dropped for a few months we went dead, completely dead.

Have some faith in ED Batt, we're still not dead.. at least I'm not.
I plan to return to production very soon and hopefully get something done.
el hombre vicio...

Offline ShadowsOfLight

• Wannabe Composer
    • Twitter
Second this. The same feelings here. Too bad you're done, guys...

It was tough to see it split up like it did, but I really enjoyed working with the team while it lasted. The Syrk team was very supportive of my work, which really helped get the creative juices flowing :)

Conversely, I'm really glad Syrk fell apart - it would've been a tragedy to have all this talent locked up on a project that (going by the demo and leaked storyline) didn't seem like it would ever produce a worthy end product.

e: 'glad' compared to the alternative of circling the grave for years, it would've been cool if an interesting project could've been beaten into shape

I know what you mean - better to go out with a bang than with a whimper. I'm glad that my music was at a stage that it was releasable in a mostly complete form, so hopefully it can find its way into other mods and people's playlists...

I just went through some of them, and they are fantastic. Much respect to ShadowsOfLight for releasing these tracks. :D

A lot of these feel like a compromise between FS1 and FS2's soundtracks. They're more mechanical than the former and more emotional than the latter.

Thanks for those great comments! I am really happy to hear that they replicate the vibe given off by the FS1 and FS2 soundtracks - that was what inspired them, after all! :)

Hey ShadowOfLight, I still have the USA emblem that I made for the project if you want to use it for promotional stuff or future album covers. It's about the only worthy input I had to the project and I'd be happy to see it put to use.

I appreciate the offer! I had a crazy idea to do a short little "bonus" Syrk album with some of my new toys - most of the songs were written in 2011, and let me tell you that I have increased my catalogue of synths/sounds since then ;7 . If I ever get anywhere with that I will definitely talk to you about using the USS logo!

Offline Apollo

• Free Market Fascist
Hey, shouldn't this get a highlight?
Current Project - Eos: The Coward's Blade. Coming Soon (hopefully.)

Offline Bryan See

• Has anyone really been far as decided to use even go want to do look more like?
  • Trying to redeem, but under Tiger Parents
    • Twitter
Hello, ShadowsOfLight.

I've included all of your tracks into my project, Shattered Stars. I'll let you know when it nears completion.
Bryan See - My FreeSpace Wiki User Page (Talk, Contributions)

Full Projects:
Shattered Stars

Campaigns:
Lost in the Mist - Cyrene vs. Psamtik
FreeSpace: Reunited

Ships:
GTS Hygeia, GTT Argo, SC Raguel

Tools:
FSO TC/Game template

I've been under attack by Tiger Parents like Jennifer Pan...