Author Topic: Okay, there HAS to be a mission with this at some point.  (Read 2302 times)

Okay, there HAS to be a mission with this at some point.
Has anyone noticed how the main mass driver cannons on the Narayanas are just large enough to fly a Kent through? And that you actually CAN fly through them? And that you can take out the cannon by shooting at the back end of the barrel from the inside, and target it from that angle as well?

It's just screaming to be used for an Ace Combat-style "fly through the barrel of the gun to finish off the superweapon" mission/objective. That, or the utilization of something similar.

Okay, okay, so this isn't an entirely serious suggestion, but it'd be pretty damn cool if one could make the context work. It's pretty hard to argue with the badass credentials that come with "flying a fighter down the half-kilometer-long barrel of a destroyer-sized mass driver to take out the target".

Pwease?  ;7
Delenda Est delenda est.

(Yay gratuitous Latin.)

Re: Okay, there HAS to be a mission with this at some point.
isn't there a mission in wings of dawn that scratches this itch?

but yes delivering nuclear ordinance by flying down the barrel of a gun is very cool

Offline Legate Damar

• Keeping up with the Cardassians
  • Hail Cardassia!
That would one UEF faction fighting another, or a Kentauroi captured by the GTVA or a Narayana captured by the GTVA

Could be a Nyx, Atalanta (however you spell that), or Pegasus doing that as well.

Offline Qent

How about I back my Kent in and launch super speed intercept.

:eek:

MAKE THIS HAPPEN.

---

As for making it work in context...well, maybe it could be something like an enemy fighter that crashed and got jammed inside the barrel, and it's mission-critical that the mass driver get back online to finish off the enemy destroyer? So you have to fly inside the barrel and destroy the fighter and then fly back out. As for why the mass driver couldn't just shoot to clear the barrel...well, perhaps it would cause critical damage to the barrel, or the collision of the mass driver, HE shell and a shielded fighter might blow up inside the barrel with terrible results.

---

But getting flung out of the barrel at 4000 m/s would be an unspeakably awesome way to get the jump on the enemy.
Delenda Est delenda est.

(Yay gratuitous Latin.)

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
  • It's prounounced jayartoo 0x6A7232
    • Steam
Heh.  Ever try shooting an M-16/other firearm with a little pebble up the the barrel?  Me neither.  Hence why I'm here posting this.

see "zoids chaotic century" finale

The first installment of blue planet you flew for the GTVA in the next installment they could do a few missions as a GTVA pilot with this as the climax or something.

Offline Cobra

• Snake on a Cain
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
Heh.  Ever try shooting an M-16/other firearm with a little pebble up the the barrel?  Me neither.  Hence why I'm here posting this.

It's not a pretty sight. Someone decided they wanted to clean an M-4 barrel with a 9mm barrel brush. It ended up getting stuck and the person cleaning it didn't tell anyone. (No one bothered to check, either, it seems). Next person who fired it got a nice little explosion in their face and the rifle was blown into several pieces. That's the **** that happens when you fire guns with **** stuck in 'em. It's posted and framed in my tech school's CATM building as a what-not-to-do reminder.
To consider the Earth as the only populated world in infinite space is as absurd as to assert that in an entire field of millet, only one grain will grow. - Metrodorus of Chios
I wept. Mysterious forces beyond my ken had reached into my beautiful mission and energized its pilots with inhuman bomb-firing abilities. I could only imagine the GTVA warriors giving a mighty KIAAIIIIIII shout as they worked their triggers, their biceps bulging with sinew after years of Ivan Drago-esque steroid therapy and weight training. - General Battuta