Author Topic: TBP 3.5 Work in Progress (Split from Star Fury Pilot Unofficial Patch 2.0 released!)  (Read 115608 times)

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
Re: TBP 3.5 Work in Progress (Split from Star Fury Pilot Unofficial Patch 2.0 released!)
But if the quality change is indeed due to 3.8.0 vs  3.7.0, the latter should be kept!

Regardless of what causes the problem, going back to 3.7.0 is absolutely not going to happen. The idea of releasing with an already obsolete version of FS2 is so moronic I can't understand why anyone would seriously consider it. The whole point of a 3.5 release of TBP is to give users a simple, easy to install and use version of TBP that can be kept compatible with future FSO releases. Going with an older version of FSO because we can't be arsed to figure out what is causing problems and instead just want to take the easy way out is a waste of time for all concerned. We might as well just leave things as they are in that case.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2018, 02:40:25 pm by karajorma »
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline PIe

• GTVA POLICE
    • freespace3.com
Re: TBP 3.5 Work in Progress (Split from Star Fury Pilot Unofficial Patch 2.0 released!)
Being able to see the front of the support ship from the cockpit as it rearms you is possibly just because the docking point is far back on the model so its front end hangs out over the front of your ship.  I don't think it's a clipping issue.
Regarding the 3.7.0 vs 3.8.0 appearance differences (if that is indeed why it looks worse):  try fiddling with your command-line options until you find something you like.  I doubt TBP necessarily looks bad on 3.8.x; it just requires different lighting settings to look good.  The F3 lab is helpful for this.
[6:23 PM] PIe: why do I have the feeling that I shouldn't be able to give orders to 22nd armored hq
[6:24 PM] Axem: 22nd armored hq, i order you to get me a cup of coffee
[6:24 PM] PIe: and donuts
[6:24 PM] PIe: BECAUSE THIS IS THE GTVA POLICE
[6:25 PM] Axem: :O
[6:25 PM] Axem: am i under arrest
[6:26 PM] [`_`]/: no, just please step out of the myrmidon
[6:26 PM] [`_`]/: you have so much to fred for

[9:50 PM] Sottises: wait did you do vassago's verge?
[9:50 PM] Sottises: .. dirge?
[9:50 PM] Axem: yes
[9:50 PM] Sottises: ohh
[9:50 PM] Sottises: well I have that and JAD too
[9:50 PM] Axem: :)
[9:50 PM] Sottises: what a contrast of themes lmao
[9:50 PM] Axem: isnt it
[9:51 PM] Axem: super grimdark thriller about unknowable alien intelligence and over the top colorful action about friendship
[9:51 PM] PIe: jad is grimdark???
[9:51 PM] Axem: :skull:

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
I tried using Knossos on my second PC and seem to be having a problem finding TBP. Which tab is it on?

Offline chief1983

• Still lacks a custom title
  • ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
after logging in on the knossos setting menu, refresh the Explore tab and you should see it (under B not T).
Fate of the Galaxy - Now Hiring!  Apply within | Diaspora | SCP Home | Collada Importer for PCS2
Karajorma's 'How to report bugs' | Mantis
#freespace | #scp-swc | #diaspora | #SCP | #hard-light on EsperNet

"You may not sell or otherwise commercially exploit the source or things you created based on the source." -- Excerpt from FSO license, for reference

Nuclear1:  Jesus Christ zack you're a little too hamyurger for HLP right now...
iamzack:  i dont have hamynerge i just want ptatoc hips D:
redsniper:  Platonic hips?!
iamzack:  lays

Offline wesp5

Going with an older version of FSO because we can't be arsed to figure out what is causing problems and instead just want to take the easy way out is a waste of time for all concerned.

I agree, so we need to figure out why the Knossos version looks so bad! Maybe there is something specific in the old missions that causes it? How about $Ambient light level: 7895160? I think it looks better with a 10x lower value of that, but I still have the impression the lighting is more uniform with 3.8, see below. I made sure the command line parameters are the same and already experimented a lot with them with no improvements. But then the star background contains less stars and the sun has a different color too! I took the backgrounds with the most similar names when I adjusted those missions. So where are the backgrounds coming from? I thought they had just been renamed, but it seems they are different!

As for the repair shuttle, can we move the docking point a little bit higher so you can't look inside the hull anymore?

[attachment stolen by Russian hackers]
« Last Edit: August 19, 2018, 04:30:47 pm by wesp5 »

Offline Skullar

Knossos didnt show TBP , I uninstalled, reinstalled, and took some time to find the LOGIN in the nebula section of DEVELOPMENT ( ??? ! )
Logged in after resetting password to ... exactly what it was before.... and .....
after refreshing TBP appeared in the tabs.

Nice GUI, but I take it this thing is still far from perfect :)

Also....

after coming back from Elite dangerous, everything is so ugly lowpoly!  :(

Offline Iain Baker

• 'Sup?
    • Steam
    • Twitter
    • NOMAD's Reviews
I just looked at Knossos and I couldn't see it either. Am I doing something wrong? PS - very much looking forward to seeing this :-)
Wanna check out my video games, technology and media website? If so, visit; https://www.nomadsreviews.co.uk/

Interested in hiring my freelance writing, proof-reading, editing, SEO, TTSO, Web Development or Social Media Management services? If so, please messege me at [email protected]

Offline chief1983

• Still lacks a custom title
  • ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
You usually log in once during the install process.  And logging in is currently only useful for developers, hence its location.

Fate of the Galaxy - Now Hiring!  Apply within | Diaspora | SCP Home | Collada Importer for PCS2
Karajorma's 'How to report bugs' | Mantis
#freespace | #scp-swc | #diaspora | #SCP | #hard-light on EsperNet

"You may not sell or otherwise commercially exploit the source or things you created based on the source." -- Excerpt from FSO license, for reference

Nuclear1:  Jesus Christ zack you're a little too hamyurger for HLP right now...
iamzack:  i dont have hamynerge i just want ptatoc hips D:
redsniper:  Platonic hips?!
iamzack:  lays

Offline ngld

• Administrator
  • Knossos dev
@Skullar: Uh... I'm curious how you managed to get the login screen in the dev tab because it shouldn't be there (and I've never seen it there either).
It's under settings (the cog icon at the top-right). The nebula login is part of the settings so... it made sense to put it there. Also, as chief pointed out, during the setup on first run, you also have an opportunity to login.

Not sure what happened with your password since it worked fine for me in the past. It seems to have worked for others as well since you're the only one who used the password reset in the past week (although 4 people created accounts). I guess it's fine as long as it works in the end.

@Iain Baker: Are you logged in? If you are, the Nebula section on your settings screen should display your username. If you're logged in and the TBP devs have added you as a tester, TBP should show up as "The Babylon Project" on your Explore tab. Make sure to look in the B section or use the search if you can't find it.

Offline PIe

• GTVA POLICE
    • freespace3.com
Have you tried turning off post processing?  I attached a few screenshots with and without and no post processing looks a lot better.
A few things on the mod:
Adding "check hull" to turrets is probably a good idea; when  testing another campaign, I'm pretty sure the Nova fired through itself a few times.
Including the Achen Schooling Flight training campaign might be a good idea, as it shouldn't be too hard to make sure it's working and training missions are good for new players.  If we're not going to have it though, the default campaign in game_settings.tbl should be changed.
There's an Earth-Minbari War So Far entry in species.tbl that, considering RW is well after that, properly belongs in the EMW campaign.
Some RW feedback based on the missions I've played so far:
It needs proofreading.
Alt-J to end a mission results in the "warp drive broken message".  IIRC, the other warp breaking SEXP doesn't do this.
If Venzen is destroyed in The Wheel Turns, the mission continues even though you can't continue in the campaign.  It's a bonus goal, but since failing it fails the mission, it shouldn't be.  If we're going to make a primary or secondary goal, ending the mission right when it's failed would be nice but I'm not sure how to do this given the existing voice acting.
In Smash 'n Grab, the mission ends before the warpout activates.
In Profit and Loss, the Protect Survivors directive is misleading for what you're actually trying to do.  It fails when any refugee wing dies, but all you have to do to pass the mission is protect either wing.
In Hell and Back, the Scylla is called the EA Scylla, vs. the EAS Scylla in other missions.  To end the mission, you have to Alt-J twice, once to trigger the Hermes jump and once to trigger your own.  However, the need for the second keypress is never indicated, unlike in Smash 'n Grab.
In Slipping the Noose, the directive count for disabling the GOD sat is weird.  I'm not entirely sure why it says 2 but you need to disarm it entirely and it has more than two turrets.

[6:23 PM] PIe: why do I have the feeling that I shouldn't be able to give orders to 22nd armored hq

[9:51 PM] Axem: super grimdark thriller about unknowable alien intelligence and over the top colorful action about friendship

Offline wesp5

Have you tried turning off post processing?  I attached a few screenshots with and without and no post processing looks a lot better.

Indeed, that fixed my missions! But isn't this weird? Normally postprocessing improves the image, can it be the command line is wired wrong, like no post processing actually means with post processing? Also I noticed I can increase the star count in the missions itself which I will do x 10 to get to the look of the TBP 3.4 versions...

Offline starlord

Didn't madaboutgames also create another TBP minicampaign? Not sure if my memory is faltering but it featured a horror premise based on the movie event horizon of all things. At least I recall it being presented this way on the website.

Offline wesp5

Didn't madaboutgames also create another TBP minicampaign?

Yes, it's called "Infestation" and he also did a big campaign called "The Earth Brakiri War". You can find infos on the site linked below, but it seems that the actual download links are dead. I have saved the B5 Star Fury Missions pack inside my patch, but I never had time to look at the others. Are they available elsewhere?

http://www.heatemup.co.uk/download.html

Offline PIe

• GTVA POLICE
    • freespace3.com
They're on the SVN and will be released later.

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
I'm still not seeing TBP on my development tab of my second PC. It's there on the PC that added the mod of course. I'm logged in to Nebula.

Offline Skullar

My fault.... confused something.

TBP is in the MODS tab with PLAY and DETAILS options.
It in the EXLORE tab with MODIFY and DETAILS options.
Its is in the DEV tab with lots of options like fred.

Offline ngld

• Administrator
  • Knossos dev
@karajorma: Did you install it? The dev tab only shows installed mods. Also make sure that the dev mode checkbox in the installation dialog is activated. It might take a few seconds to appear.

@Skullar: Some of those options are also on the home tab. Click the little arrow that appears when you hover over the mod. That opens a menu with a few options, running debug builds and FRED should be there as well.

Offline wesp5

I'm still not seeing TBP on my development tab of my second PC.

I had a similar problem right now when installing it on another PC. I needed to refresh the list to make TBP appear! Why is that necessary? Also I think it would be easier if the mods were sorted exactly with their name and not leaving "The" out of it...

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
Yeah, I eventually got it to work after a few refreshes and restarts. Not sure exactly why I needed to but as long as it doesn't affect the public release it's not a huge issue.

Offline wesp5

I finished my testing of Mag's Star Fury Pilot missions and adjusted everything so they work fine with TBP 3.5 now :)!

Global issues left:
-Sprites not disappearing with destroyed subsystems
-Repair shuttle hull clipping when docked with player

Global fixes done:
-Added Repair/Rearm to control description in strings.tbl
-Made Ship_Jump_3rd.wav mono to remove a warning

I attached the fixed files and would really like to have feedback that they will end up or already are in the next beta!

« Last Edit: August 21, 2018, 12:53:19 pm by wesp5 »