Author Topic: Multiplayer Schedule + How To Get Started in FS2 Multiplayer - Read this first!  (Read 221533 times)

Offline colecampbell666

• I See Dead Pictures
  • Evolution and ascension.
This 'ere error is retarded.  My hard sail is at at about 1/10th capacity on account o' it is, like th' rest o' me computer, dyin'.  If I had a 2GB log it would crash me HDD.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2007, 04:50:36 pm by colecampbell666 »
Gettin' back to dodgin' lasers.

Offline CP5670

• Dr. Evil
  • Global Moderator
Kara: In 10 games and nearly 1 GB of log files, I managed one hit of your popupdead check. If you need it, I can attach the part of the log where it appears.

As for tonight's games, they went great :) Good showing, a good medal harvest and several promotions for various people. All in all, an excellent night :) Except for my occasional crashing, but thankfully it was only during the forming stages and never in-mission.

We came remarkably close to beating Touch of Fate and should be able to do it with five or six people (and a better connection on my end) next time. That pretty much only leaves the two Oddball missions (Robin Hood and Rebel's Bluff) along with mine for a full medal case. Robin Hood though is either the hardest mission in the package or we're not approaching it the right way, as we couldn't even do it with eight people last time.

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
Did you actually hit a double respawn at about that time?
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline Shade

CP: Yeah, we did surprisingly well on that mission. As for medals, you may be close to a full case (as am I, I'm only short the SOC Crest compared to you. Beat STV Gauntlet yesterday after you left :)), but with the amount of people showing up for games now I think we can be pretty sure that we'll have something to aim at for quite a while yet ;)

Kara: Yes. Died, clicked respawn, got moved to the respawn point and got my HUD back, but had to click respawn a second time to actually get back to flying since I had no control and the respawn window was still there.

Report FS_Open bugs with Mantis  |  Find the latest FS_Open builds Here  |  Interested in FRED? Check out the Wiki's FRED Portal | Diaspora: Website / Forums
"Oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooh ****ing great. 2200 references to entry->index and no idea which is the one that ****ed up" - Karajorma
"We are all agreed that your theory is crazy. The question that divides us is whether it is crazy enough to have a chance of being correct." - Niels Bohr
<Cobra|> You play this mission too intelligently.

Offline colecampbell666

• I See Dead Pictures
@Shade and kara: I get the double respawn but no popupdead.

@CP5670: Try playing earlier in the afternoon. At one point with Hippo hosting we had 11 players.

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
@Shade and kara: I get the double respawn but no popupdead.

Well, back to the drawing board.  :hopping:

Offline castor

• http://www.ffighters.co.uk./home/
This reminds me of a curious screenshot I got the last night (cet_m03.fs2)...

Lesson of the day: never get on the way of a departing Sathanas :D

Offline Shade

Man, we tried that too, and we nearly had it. Bastard jumped at 20% :(
Report FS_Open bugs with Mantis  |  Find the latest FS_Open builds Here  |  Interested in FRED? Check out the Wiki's FRED Portal | Diaspora: Website / Forums
"Oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooh ****ing great. 2200 references to entry->index and no idea which is the one that ****ed up" - Karajorma
"We are all agreed that your theory is crazy. The question that divides us is whether it is crazy enough to have a chance of being correct." - Niels Bohr

Offline colecampbell666

• I See Dead Pictures
What, did you get pinged 100km by the Sathanas?

Offline CP5670

• Dr. Evil
  • Global Moderator
CP: Yeah, we did surprisingly well on that mission. As for medals, you may be close to a full case (as am I, I'm only short the SOC Crest compared to you. Beat STV Gauntlet yesterday after you left :)), but with the amount of people showing up for games now I think we can be pretty sure that we'll have something to aim at for quite a while yet ;)

Yes, I don't think we'll run out of stuff to do for a long time. I would eventually like to have beaten all of the co-op missions once, medal or not. I think there are something around 70 of them in total. :p

@CP5670: Try playing earlier in the afternoon. At one point with Hippo hosting we had 11 players.

The limit for co-op missions is 8 anyway.

He must have. You sometimes don't die in multiplayer due to lag effects when a capital ship knocks you away, but just go really far instead. :D

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
The limit for co-op missions is 8 anyway.

Has anyone actually built a 12 player mission to test this? Cause I have but I never managed to get more than 8 players online at once. I know all the [V] missions are set to 8 or lower but I've certainly never seen anything in the code that suggests the limit for coop is anything less than MULTI_MAX_PLAYERS (which is 12).

Offline CP5670

• Dr. Evil
  • Global Moderator
I hosted a co-op mission with three starting wings at some point (I think it was Dragon's Teeth) and I couldn't move any of the players over to Gamma, so it seems that 8 is in fact the limit.

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
All of the currently released missions for multi are 8 player or less with the exception of FS2 - Black Omega. So it's no wonder you can't move anything to Gamma wing. None of them are marked Player Start.

Offline Shade

I would eventually like to have beaten all of the co-op missions once, medal or not. I think there are something around 70 of them in total.
That sounds like a fun challenge. A very difficult one, but fun :)

Offline castor

Exactly! And right after the collision my Boa was speeding way past 1000 m/s :D

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
Had  you just respawned? Cause you're actually invulnerable for a few seconds after you respawn (as long as you don't fire).

Offline castor

IIRC, nope. At one moment, I was pumping Helios'es at Nergal, in the next, I was moving ahead at warp speed and the Nergal was gone.
A somewhat surreal experience.. :) Probably some kind of a lag effect, like CP suggested above.
I've been "teleported" like this a few times before (already with the retail version), but I don't remember gaining such speeds back then :eek: (maybe I just didn't pay attention).

Offline CP5670

• Dr. Evil
  • Global Moderator
All of the currently released missions for multi are 8 player or less with the exception of FS2 - Black Omega. So it's no wonder you can't move anything to Gamma wing. None of them are marked Player Start.

We can give that mission another go at our next session and check if it works with over 8 people. What does it show for the number of players in the mission selection screen?

Actually, that mission can be easily completed with two people and is way too easy considering it gives you a medal. Seems like a straight port of the singleplayer version. I'm not sure if it was ever validated on PXO.

Also, I'm getting a new connection here on Wednesday, so I should probably be able to host next time. I got a combined cable TV/internet package even though I almost never watch TV, since Comcast apparently charges more for the internet service by itself (of the same speed) than the package. :wtf:
« Last Edit: September 17, 2007, 11:44:09 pm by CP5670 »

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
Yeah it looks like a straight port of the FS1 mission but it's set up for 12 players and shows that on the mission screen.

I think the fact that :v: never made a 12 player coop mission makes people think it can't be done but that could just be a bad assumption.

Offline CP5670

• Dr. Evil
  • Global Moderator
Okay, I have my new internet connection set up. The cable guy was quite a dunce, putting some dysfunctional software on my computer and apparently bashing up my new desk (I wasn't home at the time), but this connection is quite nice. I'm getting roughly triple the speeds of the connection I used to host on from Rockville, even though the service plan is the same.

I'll put myself down at 9PM GMT for the coming Saturday once this pirate thing is gone. I currently can't edit the post without screwing it up. :p