Author Topic: !!SPOILERS!! Star Wars: The Force Awakens  (Read 65252 times)

Re: !!SPOILERS!! Star Wars: The Force Awakens
This argument is a fallacy and the premise is unprovable.

Bull****. He's describing one of the fundamentals of storytelling; conservation of detail.

Conservation of detail is only telling the audience what they need to know.
A plot hole is FAILING to tell the audience what they need to know.

A presence of plot holes and gaps in a story is not the result of conservation of detail, it's the result of a bad story.

Thus his argument is fallacious as he's basically claiming that a lack of complete information in all movies is the same as a lack of necessary information in The Force Awakens.

The empire's initial plan was to bombard the hell out of the Hoth's base, a plan curtailed by Ozzie's "clumsiness and stupidity":

At no point in this clip does anyone discuss a plan involving orbital bombardment.
He's describing the shield's properties. Its properties rule out one course of action, but that does not mean that the potential course of action was the intended one.

Offline Luis Dias

There were two options to fight in Hoth: By ground troops or by heavy bombardment. Vader kills his admiral because he was clumsy and stupid and proceeded to battle the rebellion by landing ground troops.

Guess what the **** he wanted to do in the first place. Wait, you don't need to guess, you just need to watch ANH again.

e: but at least I'm glad you admit by omission that the landing on Degobah was ludicrous.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2016, 06:36:50 am by Luis Dias »

Offline Scotty

• 1.21 gigawatts!
  • Guns, guns, guns.
What other questions could you possibly have that you want them to bother answering?

WHERE IS THE ****ING MAP FROM! It's the McGuffin of the entire film and that is neither answered NOR even questioned.

I've been asking that question over and over and you continue to repeat the same superficial answers from the film even though I've already explained why they don't actually explain anything. This is now the 2nd time you've danced around that question rather than answering it.

I can't imagine this is going to be a satisfying answer to you, but I say without sarcasm that it doesn't matter.  At all.  It satisfies a minute curiosity.  It doesn't advance the film.  It's not necessary to the story.  If the answer "I dunno"  does not impact the motivations of the characters or their objectives it doesn't matter.  Who made it is not important.  Where it came from is not important.  "This is a map to Luke Skywalker.  We have to get it to the Resistance" is all that is necessary to convey the plot.  "Who is Luke Skywalker?" must be answered later. "Where is he?" must be answered later.  "Why did he vanish?" must be answered later.  "Hey where did that map come from, anyway?" doesn't actually advance anything.  It is a useless detail.

It is not a plothole.

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
This is getting silly. You keep answering the wrong objections. If they don't answer the question, that's fine. But it is a plot hole that no one asks it!

Han Solo is a famously cynical guy. Put yourself in his place. You meet two people aboard a ship that was stolen from you. They recognise you as a famous rebel general and admit to having stolen it from the people who stole it from you. You tell them that you're going to stick them in an escape pod and jettison them on the nearest inhabited planet. And then they say that even though you met them completely by coincidence they tell you that they have a map leading to your long lost best friend. Of course you would ask them NO QUESTIONS about where they got it from, or how they they know it's genuine.

If you find that believable, that's fine. I absolutely don't. I don't think there are many humans who would do that, let alone one with Han's character. In fact, many people might assume that it was a lie made up so that they can steal the ship again.

« Last Edit: January 26, 2016, 08:33:27 am by karajorma »
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

There were two options to fight in Hoth: By ground troops or by heavy bombardment. Vader kills his admiral because he was clumsy and stupid and proceeded to battle the rebellion by landing ground troops.

Only two option? Interesting. Where does it say this in the movie?

Fact is, you're looking at a piece of dialogue and in your head and with it creating another piece of dialogue which isn't actually spoken. Ruling out one plan doesn't mean that it was THE plan.

Is it unreasonable to think they would bombard Hoth from orbit? No. Is it stated in the movie that this is their intention? No. Darth Vader isn't specifically angry at the Admiral because the rebel shield is up, he's angry at the Admiral because the Rebels are "alerted to our presence".

In fact you're making two assumptions:
#1 That the Imperials were planning to bombard Hoth and would recommence this plan once the shield was done
#2 That the intent of the bombardment was annihilation, rather than say destruction of Hoth's defences and means of escape.

Remember what the captain of the Star Destroyer says upon seeing the Rebel Transport? "Good, our first catch of the day" (emphasis mine).
Now of course this is just an expression, but given that they're looking for Luke Skywalker and he could be on a rebel transport in the same way Leia and the plans were on the Blockade Runner, it's not unreasonable to assume they planned to disable and board it and this piece of dialogue supports that.

And if the intent of the bomardment is to cripple their defenses and destroy their transport before they can board them (so he can capture Luke), then starting the bombardment when the shield is down is both useless and redundant.

Guess what the **** he wanted to do in the first place. Wait, you don't need to guess, you just need to watch ANH again.

He wanted to capture Luke Skywalker. Capturing someone, precludes destroying a transport when he may potentially be onboard. Or destroying an entire base from orbit.

e: but at least I'm glad you admit by omission that the landing on Degobah was ludicrous.

I've never felt it was ludicrous. The only thing that's ever bugged me is that an apparently uncontrolled landing was survivable (and that I find Dagobah pretty boring).  Though the fact that he loses control of his craft and lands near Yoda suggests that Yoda is guiding his craft in. 

Incidentally in the Force Awakens, there's the incident of Finn coincidentally landing near Rey's settlement and running into her. This doesn't bug me. Nor does it bug me that Po apparently survived and got back somehow. The story about Po is a bit lazy and convenient but I give it a pass because it's secondary to the main story. But the thing with Rey and Finn meeting is essentially destined by the story. One can look at it another way, if Finn and Po landed in the middle of nowhere and died. They wouldn't be in the story in the first place. If they landed near another settlement, then the movie would have told the life of whoever they met there instead of Rey. So Finn crossing paths with the Jakku's resident whose life has been established is believable.

That said, C3PO and R2D2 being picked up in a transport makes more sense than Finn walking to Rey's marketplace.
And having ANH not show Luke until we meet him makes his meeting with C3PO less of an apparent coincidence than Finn meeting Rey does.  In fact we're introduced to Rey before BB8 even meets her.

If anyone has a problem with it everyone running into Rey, it's because JJ Abrams put Rey in the movie before there was any reason to introduce her.  He puts it in the movie, tells the audience on faith that she's important, care about what she's doing and then everyone finds her. This is a problem for some people, not for me. It's a storytelling choice which works, but is not necessarily the best.  Clearly though the film wants to focus on Rey.

This is getting silly. You keep answering the wrong objections. If they don't answer the question, that's fine. But it is a plot hole that no one asks it!

Han Solo is a famously cynical guy. Put yourself in his place. You meet two people aboard a ship that was stolen from you. They recognise you as a famous rebel general and admit to having stolen it from the people who stole it from you. You tell them that you're going to stick them in an escape pod and jettison them on the nearest inhabited planet. And then they say that even though you met them completely by coincidence they tell you that they have a map leading to your long lost best friend. Of course you would ask them NO QUESTIONS about where they got it from, or how they they know it's genuine.

If you find that believable, that's fine. I absolutely don't. I don't think there are many humans who would do that, let alone one with Han's character. In fact, many people might assume that it was a lie made up so that they can steal the ship again.

Yeah that doesn't make much sense though watching the movie and thinking about it later, it didn't bother me.  Perhaps because the map is ultimately so inconsequential to the story despite being presented as central to the plot. It of course bothers me when R2D2 turns on and solves the mystery for no problem, but that may be why it doesn't bother other people. The story doesn't talk about the map, so when it's solved for no reason why should the audience care?

It's also laughable than the movie wants to present Luke Skywalker as basically King Arthur, a hero who disappeared and will return at our time of greatest need. And yet the movie has no sense of mystery in it. It's too busy with gags and explosions to care about mystery

EDIT - Also the lack of questions is representative of the movie as a whole. The characters don't ask questions because the audience already knows the answer. And they know the answer because they've been introduced to everyone and everything from the start.

One of the problem's I've mentioned is that Rey trusts Finn too easily.
Imagine if the first 30 minutes of this movie focused solely on Rey. Imagine if Rey was having a fight then this dude shows up and pulls her away. We as the audience would wonder "what the hell is she following this guy for? Don't trust him" instead we think "oh finns a good guy, and rey's a good guy, so it makes sense they're instantly best buds" because the audiences knows them even if they don't know each other.

If this story were told like ANH was told, more people would have problems with it because the problems with character motivation would stand out for more people. Instead the movie treats the audience like a character or mediator who in their head reconciles all the problems of the movie with their own narrator-like knowledge of what's going on. This makes the movie "work" for most people in so far as it receives a passing grade.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2016, 12:19:45 pm by Akalabeth Angel »

Offline Scotty

• 1.21 gigawatts!
  • Guns, guns, guns.

You're right, this is silly.  You're again using information from another movie (in this case, the original trilogy) to try and find a plot hole in this one.  You don't think that stumbling across two people fleeing from a desert planet and the Imperial Navy in the Millennium Falcon with a droid that they need to get to the Resistance wouldn't resonate with him?  That he's not too happy about getting the Falcon back to worry about it in that exact moment?  That there's no time in between where a conversation along the lines of this:
Han: Hey, where'd you get that map, anyway?

BB-8: *Excited beeping*

Han: He sounds like a hell of a pilot.  Reminds me of someone I knew, back in the day.
happens?  I can think of no fewer than three times where that conversation could have taken place before they arrived at the Resistance Base.

It's wasted screen time and useless script space.  The kind of thing that goes in the deleted scenes bin not just because of time but because it's boring and doesn't add anything to the story.  If the viewer had a reason to doubt the veracity of the map, it would have a place.  We don't.  Using valuable screen time to explain that it's important again with different phrasing is bad cinematography.

Han: Hey, where'd you get that map, anyway?

BB-8: *Excited beeping*

Han: He sounds like a hell of a pilot.  Reminds me of someone I knew, back in the day.
happens?  I can think of no fewer than three times where that conversation could have taken place before they arrived at the Resistance Base.

It's wasted screen time and useless script space.  The kind of thing that goes in the deleted scenes bin not just because of time but because it's boring and doesn't add anything to the story.  If the viewer had a reason to doubt the veracity of the map, it would have a place.  We don't.  Using valuable screen time to explain that it's important again with different phrasing is bad cinematography.

Yeah that screen time is a big commodity. If Han Solo asked questions they might not have time to fight the fleshy balls from the D&D Monster manual.

In either case, there's obvious a disconnect between your two points of view.
Karajorma is viewing the story from the point of view of its different characters.
You're viewing the story from the point of view of the audience.

And because the story says it's real, you believe it's real and assume that Han Solo should believe what you believe.
If the story had been told from another perspective, where the veracity of the map was not established, you would likely be asking the same questions that Karajorma is.

It's similar to player intent in a video game. When the goals of the game line up with what the player wants to do, the game works out.
Similarly when the actions of the characters in the film believe or don't contradict what the audience knows, it works for them. When Rey trusts Finn it's okay because the audience knows and trusts them both even though Rey a complete loner shouldn't easily trust anyone, and certainly not an deserter from the First Order. A organization that re-programs kids into unthinking killing machines.

But if the same story was told in a different perspective, it would fall apart because the characters in the movie do not have enough information to act as they do.

And that's why Karajorma and others like myself have a problems with the movie, because we're examining the motivations or actions of individual characters and realizing that looking at it on its own, it doesn't really make any sense. And because it doesn't makes sense, the world, its characters and the story are not believable.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2016, 12:43:17 pm by Akalabeth Angel »

Offline Luis Dias

IDK, I still think you're over criticizing it. I'd have to watch it again by now to test your analysis again.

IDK, I still think you're over criticizing it. I'd have to watch it again by now to test your analysis again.

I honestly think this is a movie which will age poorly, even for the people who like it.  It certainly wont be as timeless as the OT. 
Much of the movie relies upon the audience not having time to think, when they've seen it before and elements are more familiar people will inevitably think more about what's going on and things will began to make less sense.

Also with little to no quiet moments in the film, the lulls before the storm which precede the height of excitement anticipated in repeat viewings simply wont be there.

Does anyone remember the most iconic scene of A New Hope? Luke standing heartbroken on a sand dune, watching the setting of twin suns? The uplifting music? His tortured face beneath wind-swept hair?
That shot isn't in this movie. There's NOTHING like that in this movie. Rey can't eat her space porridge for 5 minutes before she has to save/steal BB8 from another scavenger.

Think of your favourite scenes in Star Wars  and try to find their analogue in this movie.  And if you do happen to find your favourite scene, think about what precede it in old movie and what precedes it in this one.  I'd be curious what people came up with, if anything.

Offline Scotty

• 1.21 gigawatts!
  • Guns, guns, guns.
Think of your favourite scenes in Star Wars  and try to find their analogue in this movie.  And if you do happen to find your favourite scene, think about what precede it in old movie and what precedes it in this one.  I'd be curious what people came up with, if anything.

I am incredibly annoyed by this post because ten pages ago the favorite thing to rail on is how similar The Force Awakens was to A New Hope.  Now you're saying it's not similar enough?

Offline MP-Ryan

• Makes General Discussion Make Sense.
  • Global Moderator
  • Keyboard > Pen > Sword
    • Twitter
I'm trying to avoid a line by line quotewar, but there's a few key things I want to address:

And even if I did agree you're right and that it goes nowhere, so what? It was entertaining in its own right.

Herein we arrive at the crux of the issue.  I find TFA entertaining enough - due to the objectively better things like the acting, the character development, etc - that where there are certain plot coincidences and minor omissions (I maintain none of them are truly holes) I can quite easily look past them.  I don't find any of the issues with it to be problematic for the film as a whole.

Look, even if the OT were not great films, merely good, why does that preclude us from pointing out the rather large flaws in this film? Why is OT the only metre stick we are allowed to measure it against? After all, Abrams had the benefit of being able to watch the OT and not repeat their mistakes. Star Wars basically invented the blockbuster film and the concept was still new when Empire Strikes Back came out. But TFA has the benefit of more than 30 years of blockbusters to draw on and it is still making stupid rookie mistakes. Mistakes which I would STILL call it out on if it was the first film of its franchise. Why are you so determined to let it skate on them that you're willing to make (frankly unfair) comparisons to a film which is 30 years older?

I'm not determined to let them skate by on correctable phenomena, I'm pointing out that none of the issues raised with the film are inherently problematic enough to label it bad as some (not you) are apparently wanting to do.  Some corners of the Internet are treating Star Wars like a sacred inviolate masterpiece, while an objective assessment of any of the films lends their best a mere "good and entertaining."  TFA is no different.  Abrams allowed for less explanatory minutiae in the narrative - leading to what some people objective to as significant plot holes - while the acting/character development in the OT was never as well-developed in a single film.  There've been tradeoffs.[/quote]

You challenged people to find plot holes in the film which weren't based on the original trilogy but every reply to a criticism has been "But the OT did that too" So what? Why aren't you willing to judge TFA against modern films and see that in that respect its over-reliance on coincidence would still knock off a couple of marks?

I've never claimed TFA was a perfect masterpiece, and never will.  It has its flaws; the only reason for using the OT as rebuttal is it is unfair to criticize TFA for "plot holes" that the OT ran with in spades as well.  Retconning in explanations does no service to anyone:  see "Midichlorians."  No one can claim that TFA is a poorer film than the OT for doing exactly the same plot contrivances the OT did and was in many cases actively praised for.
"In the beginning, the Universe was created.  This made a lot of people very angry and has widely been regarded as a bad move."  [Douglas Adams]

I am incredibly annoyed by this post because ten pages ago the favorite thing to rail on is how similar The Force Awakens was to A New Hope.  Now you're saying it's not similar enough?

The film takes a lot of plot elements directly from A New Hope but it leaves out a lot of the pacing and structure that made those plot elements work. There is nothing inconsistent in saying this.
The good Christian should beware of mathematicians, and all those who make empty prophecies. The danger already exists that the mathematicians have made a covenant with the devil to darken the spirit and to confine man in the bonds of Hell.

The earlier criticism is that the story was derivative and recycled.  I'm talking about scene structure, cinematography, story pacing. Not the story itself.

I'll give an example. One of my favourite sequences is on the Attack on the Second Death Star.  When Lando and his co-pilot first arrive and they have a discussion about the shield. 

- - - - -
The fighters have all checked in, Admiral Ackbar has given the word, they're all set to attack when the Falcon's co-pilot, Nien Nub notices something.

Nien Nub: Alien Language
Lando: We've got to be able to get some kind of a reading on that shield, up or down.
Nien Nub: Alien Language
Lando:  Well, how could they be jamming us if they don't know if we're . . . .coming.

Lando looks thinks about it, looking concerned. Switches on his comms

Lando: Break off the attack! The shield is still up.
Wedge: I get no reading. Are you sure?
Lando: Pull up! All craft pull up!

- - - - -

This is a scene where two characters are faced with a problem and have a deadline. A deadline which if passes, will spell certain death. We the audience see them work through a problem, discuss it together and then come to a logical conclusion. We see Lando make a judgement call, makes it an order, and then the rebel fleet scatters.

Now, can anyone name a similar scene like that In the Force Awakens? A scene where the audience knows something that the characters don't, and then watch as the characters discuss it, figure it out logically and take appropriate action to avoid the problem? Or in short, a suspenseful scene with characters who think for themselves and ask questions?

« Last Edit: January 26, 2016, 01:39:36 pm by Akalabeth Angel »

Offline MP-Ryan

• Global Moderator
  • Keyboard > Pen > Sword
    • Twitter
Now, can anyone name a similar scene like that In the Force Awakens? A scene where the audience knows something that the characters don't, and then watch as the characters discuss it, figure it out logically and take appropriate action to avoid the problem? Or in short, a suspenseful scene with characters who think for themselves and ask questions?

Rey's escape from Ren.
"In the beginning, the Universe was created.  This made a lot of people very angry and has widely been regarded as a bad move."  [Douglas Adams]

Rey's escape from Ren.

Explain to me how it's the same.

Offline MP-Ryan

• Global Moderator
  • Keyboard > Pen > Sword
    • Twitter
-The audience knows Ren is coming back to take Rey to Snoke.  She does not; she can assume he is returning to torture or kill her eventually.
-The audience knows Finn/Han/Chewy are coming on a rescue.  She does not.
-Instead of being a damsel, Rey begins exploring her abilities, testing how much control she has with the Force (remember, no one has told her she's a strong Force user), and successfully escapes through a fair bit of ingenuity on a timeline (Ren's impending return, which is an unknown deadline but must be treated as extremely short).

It's not "the same," but its definitely highly analogous.

Offline Scotty

• 1.21 gigawatts!
  • Guns, guns, guns.
Now, can anyone name a similar scene like that In the Force Awakens? A scene where the audience knows something that the characters don't, and then watch as the characters discuss it, figure it out and take appropriate action to avoid the problem? Or in short, a suspenseful scene with characters who think for themselves and ask questions?

If you want beat for beat?  No.  If you want problem -> (potentially internal) discussion -> problem resolution we have:

A) Finn when Rey is attacked by the thugs.  He has a clear and obvious internal discussion with himself over the problem and his appropriate action to fix it.

B) When the TIE Fighters are strafing Nima Outpost, Rey and Finn sprint toward the jump master, discussing the situation when Rey lays out the plan to take said jump master.  Whether or not the plan is successful is irrelevant to your criteria.

C) Rey, when she's pushed to the edge of the chasm during the lightsaber fight with Kylo Ren.  Hell, you could probably make this one beat for beat if the audience could hear Rey's thoughts on the issue.  (Problem: Kylo Ren is better at this than me.  Internal dialogue: What the hell should I do?  Audience: already knows that she should use the Force, because this is a goddamn Star Wars movie. :P  Solution: Uses the Force)

D) During the attack on the base, Poe begins to order Red and Blue squadrons off after the attack ostensibly fails.  Blue leader sees the explosion on the surface blow, and alerts Poe, who decides to go for one more pass on the damaged portion of the structure.  Because Han and Finn's mission on the base is 100% distinct from Poe's attack (they're there for Rey, and no other purpose), the audience is indeed aware of something that the characters do not (that the explosives are in place and will be able to open up a window to attack).

Are they identical in structure or pace?  Of course not.  Expecting them to be would be a different kind of annoying.  The pacing on The Force Awakens is faster than in any of the original trilogy.  That's absolutely not in question.  I don't think that's a bad thing.  Having seen this movie three times already, it was still just as good the second and third times.  When I think harder about the events of the movie it still makes sense.  Hell, I'd argue that we here on this thread have discussed the movie more in depth and with more rigor and vigor than 90% of the internet, and 95-98% of Star Wars viewers, and it's still a good movie.

-The audience knows Ren is coming back to take Rey to Snoke.  She does not; she can assume he is returning to torture or kill her eventually.
-The audience knows Finn/Han/Chewy are coming on a rescue.  She does not.
-Instead of being a damsel, Rey begins exploring her abilities, testing how much control she has with the Force (remember, no one has told her she's a strong Force user), and successfully escapes through a fair bit of ingenuity on a timeline (Ren's impending return, which is an unknown deadline but must be treated as extremely short).

It's not "the same," but its definitely highly analogous.

How does Rey know that she can influence someone's mind?  What information is she given that allows her to arrive at that conclusion?

Offline Scotty

• 1.21 gigawatts!
  • Guns, guns, guns.
When Ren tried to reach into her mind, she reached back instinctively.  She was able to feel his deepest emotions, why wouldn't she be able to feel what he was trying to do to her?

When Ren tried to reach into her mind, she reached back instinctively.  She was able to feel his deepest emotions, why wouldn't she be able to feel what he was trying to do to her?

If she learned from his actions, why is her method of application different?