Author Topic: 2009-03-15 - An Estimate  (Read 77656 times)

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
2009-03-15 - An Estimate
So we've been quiet recently. A lot of you have probably noticed that. That doesn't mean we've been idle. We've been making steady progress on the game but mostly with stuff that doesn't result in pretty pictures.

The biggest changes have been internal ones. But since I know that most of you love the pictures more than anything else...

As we've always said the Basestar you've seen so far has been a placeholder. So here's a glimpse of the Basestar you'll actually get to play with in Shattered Armistice. Kudos to Newman for doing such a good job on it so far.

The Theseus also continues to improve with Meleardil showing off some lovely pictures of it to the team earlier today. We're not going to show you that one until we feel it's ready though. :)

Meanwhile there has been lots of work done on new music, interface art and all the various improvements needed to breathe life into a game like this. In addition the SCP is getting very close to releasing FS2_Open 3.6.10. This is a big step forwards for us. Although we won't be using this particular version of the engine it does mean that the current code freeze will be over and the team can finally start using a version of the engine internally that has all the features we want in it rather than have to use different builds for each feature we wanted to test.

Internally we've moved over from using forum posts and FTP for organisation to using SVN and Mantis. Although this probably won't mean much to most of you, any modders reading who have used either will probably understand how much easier that has made a lot of things for us. It means we can spend less time on boring, project management stuff and more time on actually making the game.

The biggest difference all this makes is that it finally puts us in a position where we know roughly how much is left to do. And those of you who have been paying attention will know what that means. Yes, we can finally give a provisional ETA for Shattered Armistice. With an eye on how much is left to do the team feels that we might be able to have the game ready by late May if we work hard and everything goes well. Of course that is a provisional date and not a promise because due to the fact we all have real lives things may change. But that is the sort of timescale we are working towards. With luck you should be playing the game two and a half months from now. :)
« Last Edit: November 08, 2012, 10:14:58 pm by karajorma »
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline Narvi

Re: 09-03-15 - An Estimate
May 2010?!

Hooray!  :P

Offline Rick James

• Scathed By Admins

Awwwwriiiight!

Boystrous 19 year old temp at work slapped me in the face with an envelope and laughed it off as playful. So I shoved him over a desk and laughed it off as playful. It's on camera so I can plead reasonable force.  Temp is now passive.

May 2010?!

May 2009, I suppose.

Offline newman

You know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I go get and beat you with 'til ya understand who's in ruttin' command here! - Jayne Cobb

Offline Fish

• Nugget
Wow... so this is what it feels like to have anticipation with a focus closer than the infinite horizon! :p Not used to that around these parts...

Good hunting, team, on all the work yet to be done!
« Last Edit: March 16, 2009, 07:39:56 am by Fish »
<><

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
We did always say that we would couldn't give a release date because it's very hard to predict this stuff when you still have almost everything to do. Since we are now a lot closer we can make a more reasonable prediction. :)

May 2010?!

May 2009, I suppose.

You suppose correctly.
That means it is released 5 years earlier than BtRL   ;7

I have to admit I haven't been paying close attention to the SCP, but is 3.6.10 the build with the improved net code? If so, why is that not going to be used for the first release of Diaspora? I for one would rather have the release delayed in favor of better multiplayer. Or am I just misunderstanding what you mean when you say you wont be using that particular version?

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
I have to admit I haven't been paying close attention to the SCP, but is 3.6.10 the build with the improved net code? If so, why is that not going to be used for the first release of Diaspora? I for one would rather have the release delayed in favor of better multiplayer. Or am I just misunderstanding what you mean when you say you wont be using that particular version?

They're probably going to be using a custom build based off 3.6.10 (so a 3.6.10+). It'll certainly have the improved netcode, fear not.

(Of course, I'm not on the team, but I'm reasonably certain these are accurate guesses.)
« Last Edit: March 16, 2009, 01:10:01 pm by General Battuta »

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
The current SCP plan is to get FS2_Open 3.6.10 out, add in all the features in all the various branches and then consider releasing that as 3.6.11. With luck that would be done in time for our release. If not we'll just do exactly what Battuta suggests.

Offline Talon 1024

• How do you turn this on?
    • Mods, Games, and Stuff
May/June 2009?

Excellent job, people! I'll be waiting for it...
To understand religion, you need to understand morality first. | WCSaga website | WCSaga Forum | 158th website | 158th forum | Project Leader: WC: Hostile Frontier | WCHF Thread at CIC | Wing Blender | Twist of Fate | Multipart turrets on angled surfaces, tutorial included. | My Google Drive stuff | To convert speeds from WC to WCS, multiply both the cruise speed and the Afterburner speed by 0.15625 (5/32)

FS2 Mods I'm waiting on: Inferno 10th Anniversary
Current Project: Contestant Android app, Learn4Life iOS app, Blender Commander (importer).
The FreeSpace Font Foundry is back in action!

Offline Whitelight

• Thing, man like
Thats some good news  :nod:
Simpicity of character is the natural resualt of profound thought

Offline josh_88

/applause

Very impressed with how much you guys got together this quick. I know you guys had some work done going in after the split, but utterly fantastic. Having gotten used to the old policies/waiting, I never expected a release in this short of a time frame.

so all around congratulations on your hard work. Being a part time prop/digital art/set designer etc I know what goes into getting things to a presentable point and yeah, Im done rambling.

Offline Deckard

• DECK-A-R&D
Wow!. I was out of the city and look at this... great; thanks!! :D
-------------------------------
Deckard a.k.a The Silencer

Thanks for keeping a BSG mod for SCP alive. I realise the tremendous amount of time it takes to COMPLETELY modify a game. Sometimes that forces teams to take shortcuts - from what I've seen so far - it looks like instead of a shortcut, you all have found the autobahn!

I can't wait for the day until I boot up Diaspora, "strap" a Mk7 on and shwack some toasters. I hope all of you get picked up for high paying jobs at major software companies as a result of this mod! Maybe the experience and friendships you gain from this mod will lead you to start your own software or consulting company. Releasing the mod will definitely give you a sense of accomplishment but I hope you also get some reward for all the hard work.

In the mean time - I'd like to Thank You for the hard work and most of all thanks for selflessly sharing your work with all of us!

Offline Meleardil

• Meleardil Eressea Iluvadan
Such posts are exactly the "payment" and "reward" which move us further. Thank you for your support!
"I think it is impossible to really understand somebody, what they want, what they believe, and not love them the way they love themselves."
Speaker for the Dead

Offline Demitri

I have a small request. If you don't ask, you don't get! :p

As i understand it, a number of the models being used are placeholders, such as the cylon basestar. Would it be possible to include that model, as well as the completed basestar in R1? I'll hold my hands up and admit it is purely for selfish reasons because i absolutely love that model!
"Brothers and sisters are natural enemies!
Like Englishmen and Scots!
Or Welshmen and Scots!
Or Japanese and Scots!
Or Scots and other Scots!
Damn Scots! They ruined Scotland!" - Groundskeeper Willie

Offline newman

I have a small request. If you don't ask, you don't get! :p

As i understand it, a number of the models being used are placeholders, such as the cylon basestar. Would it be possible to include that model, as well as the completed basestar in R1? I'll hold my hands up and admit it is purely for selfish reasons because i absolutely love that model!

Not sure what you mean here. Do you want the placeholder model or the new one? If it's the placeholder you want, you're going to have to ask it's author, brand-x, for it. Since it won't be included in Diaspora (was just a placeholder till we could make the heavily detailed one), it wouldn't make much sense for us to release it as a mesh.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2009, 08:03:50 am by newman »
You know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I go get and beat you with 'til ya understand who's in ruttin' command here! - Jayne Cobb

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
The new one will be better. I can't really see any good reason for including the old one.