Author Topic: 2009-03-15 - An Estimate  (Read 77653 times)

Offline Mobius

• Back where he started
  • Porto l'azzurro Dolce Stil Novo nella fantascienza
    • The Lightblue Ribbon | Cultural Project
Re: 09-03-15 - An Estimate
I was just asking. :)
The Lightblue Ribbon

Inferno: Nostos - Alliance
Series Resurrecta: {{FS Wiki Portal}} -  Gehenna's Gate - The Spirit of Ptah - Serendipity (WIP) - <REDACTED> (WIP)
FreeSpace Campaign Restoration Project
A tribute to FreeSpace in my book: Riflessioni dall'Infinito
My interviews: [ 1 ] - [ 2 ] - [ 3 ]

Offline IronForge

• You Most Make Estimate!
  • Banned for failing to make a campaign in one month
Filefront sucks if you don't happen to live in America. It's almost totally unusable over here. Anyway, don't worry, it'll be available, very likely through multiple download options. If we're capable of actually making the game, I think we can handle choosing where to upload it  :)

Filefront is ok if you have a download manager... I'm in aus, used it in singapore, all over. Under 300kb/s but its allright
MUCH much faster than torrent.

Offline newman

Filefront is ok if you have a download manager... I'm in aus, used it in singapore, all over. Under 300kb/s but its allright

Trust me, over here in Croatia you're lucky if you even get it to display the download link (After which it almost certainly won't work). Download manager doesn't help, either. You were just lucky using it in places the thing happens to work from. I hear the same types of complaints from some other countries as well, so Croatia's not isolated there either.
You know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I go get and beat you with 'til ya understand who's in ruttin' command here! - Jayne Cobb

Offline colecampbell666

• I See Dead Pictures
  • Evolution and ascension.
Not really, depends on the number of seeds for the torrent, and their upload speeds. The BtRL torrent downloaded at over 700kb/s in instances.
Gettin' back to dodgin' lasers.

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
When it comes to distribution I don't think there were any major problems with the way BtRL did it. A mixture of torrents (initially seeded by the team) and HTTP downloads from Filefront, Fileplanet and other big websites alongside those from the people who turned up and offered to mirror the game later.

I don't see any reason to deviate from that for Diaspora.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline IronForge

Well having multiple places to DL can decrease the load on your servers a lot. Only problem is if there are more people DLing with bittorrent the faster for everyone? Not sure on that.

However even if filefront doesn't work for some of us, those who can get it to work will likely use it as a preferred source, therefore decreasing the load on game warden and fsmods.

Offline StarSlayer

• Men Kaeshi Do
    • Steam
We're distributing via mail the game will come in about four dozen 3.5 inch floppies
“Think lightly of yourself and deeply of the world”

Offline Angelus

• The Angriest Angel
We're distributing via mail the game will come in about four dozen 3.5 inch floppies

Oh no, have mercy with those of us who can't buy stuff that is advanced like 3.5 inch floppies.
I just bought a 5.25 inch floppy, and i'm not going to upgrade that soon.

:D

Offline StarSlayer

• Men Kaeshi Do
    • Steam

Oh no, have mercy with those of us who can't buy stuff that is advanced like 3.5 inch floppies.

The Director's Cut comes on 5.25 don't worry
“Think lightly of yourself and deeply of the world”

Offline Angelus

• The Angriest Angel

The Director's Cut comes on 5.25 don't worry

Hopefully in a Galactica shaped steel box... :nervous:

ontopic, more or less:

I prefer DDL over torrent, but in the end it doesn't matter, as long as i get the game.

Offline colecampbell666

• I See Dead Pictures
Only problem is if there are more people DLing with bittorrent the faster for everyone?
The more people seeding the better, downloading causes strain on the seed and they can allocate less speed to each person.

Offline Locutus of Borg

• Who counted those posts?????????????
But they allocate different parts to each person, and then each person stars sending what they have out to every other person.

o.0
We are the Borg
We will add your biological and technological distinctiveness to our own

Resistance is FUTILE

Offline colecampbell666

• I See Dead Pictures
True. But in general, more seeds = more speed. When there are a lot of leechers with little data, the same data is propagated over and over.

Offline Felix 039

• The One True Noob
Your outdated, use the newest technology out there.

Use LAN CABLE

A couple billion km of cable isn't much, considering how great Diaspora will be  :P
Turning pros into noobs since 1992.
---
Oh look, there's something down here!

No there isn't...

Offline FraktuRe

• Not stupid enough
  • Cheesy oneliner, *****es!
    • Fraktured Reality
We actually did a small feasibility study about running LAN cables up power poles and along power lines to various houses. Wish it would've worked!
Or something.
There’s nothing like the truth skewed into the mind of the insane.
- Fraktured Reality
The artist formerly known as Cl1nt.

Offline newman

Nah, all we'll need is a package to put the floppy disks in, and your geographical position (longitude and latitude, you can read it off a GPS if you have one). That's so we have coordinates at which to launch a specially modified ICBM carrying the Diaspora package inside it. Make sure there's nobody in your house/building at the time of delivery.. if you have a fallout shelter, it might be an idea to wait for the game there.
You know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I go get and beat you with 'til ya understand who's in ruttin' command here! - Jayne Cobb

Offline YIIMM

That reminds me of the Christmas mod for Defcon.

Offline Angelus

• The Angriest Angel
Nah, all we'll need is a package to put the floppy disks in, and your geographical position (longitude and latitude, you can read it off a GPS if you have one). That's so we have coordinates at which to launch a specially modified ICBM carrying the Diaspora package inside it. Make sure there's nobody in your house/building at the time of delivery.. if you have a fallout shelter, it might be an idea to wait for the game there.

No need to, at least for me. I'll give you the coordinates of the house of my neighbour, he'll bring it to me then. :D

Offline IronForge

LOL why not put it on a disk and sell it for $10? Still cheaper than downloading it. I pay $90 for 12gb

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
They can't sell it. That would be a very very bad move.