Author Topic: 2009-03-15 - An Estimate  (Read 77650 times)

Offline Demitri

Re: 09-03-15 - An Estimate
I want both. Just cause I'm greedy! :D Its not for a campaign or mod or anything like that, and i know that the model in R1, from what the team have said, will be far better. Its just that i really like the model from the screenies that have been posted is all.
"Brothers and sisters are natural enemies!
Like Englishmen and Scots!
Or Welshmen and Scots!
Or Japanese and Scots!
Or Scots and other Scots!
Damn Scots! They ruined Scotland!" - Groundskeeper Willie

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
The new one will look far better and the old one is hideous when viewed up close. It has all sorts of texture errors since it was textured in under a day.

We're not releasing it cause it would serve absolutely no point.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline Demitri

Fair nuff. Cant really argue with that. Looking forward to the release guys.  :nod:
"Brothers and sisters are natural enemies!
Like Englishmen and Scots!
Or Welshmen and Scots!
Or Japanese and Scots!
Or Scots and other Scots!
Damn Scots! They ruined Scotland!" - Groundskeeper Willie

Offline CKid

You guys should add this update to your moddb page.
If I agreed with you, we would both be wrong

Offline Adalla

• So Say We All!
    • Adalla Productions
Nice Basestar model.

I must say I always found the basestar on the show the least detailed model, or it seemed that way most likely because it is a pretty simple design.

The only thing that would differentiate a high detail basestar from a low detail one would probably be the Raider ..umm...holes? It's those slices/holes in the ship from where the Raiders pour out of. You see it clearly in one of the close ups of the base ship in one of the battles. Might be the first battle of the Galactica at Ragnar Anchorage.

Great job on it so far though :)

Keep it up.

Looks good!

As badly as I want to play the 1st release, don't forget to TAKE BREAKS to KEEP your SANITY!

Without it, you're no good to us anyway!

;7

;)

Offline newman

I must say I always found the basestar on the show the least detailed model, or it seemed that way most likely because it is a pretty simple design.

No part of this sentence is true. Don't mistake elegance for simplicity - just because something doesn't have greebles in a classical sense doesn't mean it's not complicated. Basestar's fly-in organic shaped crevices and details more then make up for it... hell, it's over 73000 polygons, they had to have gone somewhere :)
In fact, I'll go so far as to say that after modeling several colonial vessels, a battlestar included, the basestar is the most complicated mesh to build of the lot.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2009, 03:31:42 am by newman »
You know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I go get and beat you with 'til ya understand who's in ruttin' command here! - Jayne Cobb

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
Close in there is a lot of detail to the basestar. In the show though you mostly see the basestar from above or below where the featureless surface makes it look like there isn't much to it.

Having flown around the basestar a lot in both BtRL and Diaspora I can honestly say that simply plonking a texture map on a simple model just doesn't work. In fact it's even more obvious that it doesn't work on the Basestar than on a Battlestar.

Offline Mobius

• Back where he started
  • Porto l'azzurro Dolce Stil Novo nella fantascienza
    • The Lightblue Ribbon | Cultural Project
Model detail or not, textures have their importance since they can somewhat "simulate" incredible levels of detail. :)
The Lightblue Ribbon

Inferno: Nostos - Alliance
Series Resurrecta: {{FS Wiki Portal}} -  Gehenna's Gate - The Spirit of Ptah - Serendipity (WIP) - <REDACTED> (WIP)
FreeSpace Campaign Restoration Project
A tribute to FreeSpace in my book: Riflessioni dall'Infinito
My interviews: [ 1 ] - [ 2 ] - [ 3 ]

Offline newman

Thanks, professor. Never would have guessed  :rolleyes:
You know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I go get and beat you with 'til ya understand who's in ruttin' command here! - Jayne Cobb

Offline Mobius

• Back where he started
  • Porto l'azzurro Dolce Stil Novo nella fantascienza
    • The Lightblue Ribbon | Cultural Project
I was emphasizing it... ;)
The Lightblue Ribbon

Inferno: Nostos - Alliance
Series Resurrecta: {{FS Wiki Portal}} -  Gehenna's Gate - The Spirit of Ptah - Serendipity (WIP) - <REDACTED> (WIP)
FreeSpace Campaign Restoration Project
A tribute to FreeSpace in my book: Riflessioni dall'Infinito
My interviews: [ 1 ] - [ 2 ] - [ 3 ]

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
You've not added anything to the discussion though. No one here was saying textures aren't important.

Offline Adalla

• So Say We All!
    • Adalla Productions
Quote from: Newman
No part of this sentence is true. Don't mistake elegance for simplicity - just because something doesn't have greebles in a classical sense doesn't mean it's not complicated. Basestar's fly-in organic shaped crevices and details more then make up for it... hell, it's over 73000 polygons, they had to have gone somewhere
In fact, I'll go so far as to say that after modeling several colonial vessels, a battlestar included, the basestar is the most complicated mesh to build of the lot.

Oh I dont doubt that it is a hard model to build. It looks very organic after all and to me it seems organic shapes are harder to model. Granted I shouldnt be really talking since I couldnt even model a Mark 2, I guess I'm talking from an observers point of view. To me the Basestars on the show never showed detailed, but as I said, it's probably because of the simple design.

I'm sure if you get real close you can see details on the edges of the surfaces (like where the missile launchers are etc), as well as where the Raider "crevices" (thanx for the word :P) are.

It is certainly a very graceful and elegant ship :)

Offline Ace

• Truth of Babel
    • http://www.lordofrigel.com
You've not added anything to the discussion though. No one here was saying textures aren't important.

TEXTAURES R NOT IMPORTANT!

That's right, I went there!

:drevil:
Ace
Self-plagiarism is style.
-Alfred Hitchcock

Offline Black Wolf

• Twisted Infinities
  • Hey! You! Get off-a my cloud!
    • Visit the TI homepage!

Is that because if the extent of the detail, though, or just the nature of it? I'm far from an expert modeller, but I do n\know modelling something that's at least gthree quarters curvy like the base star - and all irregular curves for that matter) is going to be much harder than modelling something like the battlestar - much less curvy, and regular in its shape.

All that aside, I'm sure it'll look awesome regardless :)
TWISTED INFINITIES · SECTORGAME· FRONTLINES
Rarely Updated P3D.
Burn the heretic who killed F2S! Burn him, burn him!!- GalEmp

Offline newman

Is that because if the extent of the detail, though, or just the nature of it?

Don't mistake difficulty level with the amount of work one must put into something. If something has lots of greebels and details on it, then yes it's a lot of work to replicate it. Does it put all your modeling skills to the test while you're doing it, though? Probably not - more like your patience and perseverance. Details and model themselves might not be hard to model but the sheer amount of them will make it a lot of work, for some ships. Basestar is the opposite of that. While it's not a greeble monster (think borg cube or something like that), it's organic shapes make it hard to model correctly, especially a low poly game grade version, because you don't have millions of polygons at your discretion to get the smoothing solution right. And of course once you get past that you can see that there's actually lots of details to it anyway :)
Someone mentioned it was a simple design - it's only deceptively so.

Offline Adalla

• So Say We All!
    • Adalla Productions
I'd actually be curious to see the details and close up of a Basestar. I dont really recall many shots that let us really appreciate this ship. I'll be looking forward to the Diaspora version.

Here's a shot from the Finale that shows the Base star.

Which will lead to another question:

How are you going to get all those Raider dockpoints in?

Offline Meleardil

• Meleardil Eressea Iluvadan
Particle spray? :)
"I think it is impossible to really understand somebody, what they want, what they believe, and not love them the way they love themselves."
Speaker for the Dead

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
I think he means who is the poor sod who's going to have to work out and using PCS add in all the dockpoints for the Basestar.

* karajorma points at Blowfish. :p