Author Topic: 2009-06-23 - A Much Closer Look At The Battlestar Theseus  (Read 55995 times)

Offline Aardwolf

• Minecraft
Re: 09-06-23 - A Much Closer Look At The Battlestar Theseus
It doesn't... at least not inside the fighterbay.

I can't recall any canon explanation for that sort of stuff (but I didn't watch much, so maybe it was mentioned at some point)

Offline FraktuRe

• Not stupid enough
  • Cheesy oneliner, *****es!
    • Fraktured Reality
It was never shown.

I've seen vipers land on either side on peggy, but after that they don't show anything else. I do remember us having a very long winded debate about it once, a long time ago.
Or something.
There’s nothing like the truth skewed into the mind of the insane.
- Fraktured Reality
The artist formerly known as Cl1nt.

Since there are upside-down launch tubes alternating with right-side-up ones on the Pegasus, I always assumed there were two hangar decks in the flight pod, mated floor to floor. I further supposed the aircraft elevators could rotate to transfer ships from one to the other. The Theseus has the same launch tube arrangement, but the space between flight decks doesn't seem quite thick enough to accommodate two hangars.

Offline Meleardil

• Meleardil Eressea Iluvadan
It does not... These flightpods are an early, experimental design. There is only one hangar deck. The landing surfaces are doubled to maximize landing options and make landing faster. The launch tubes are up-down-up-down to save space, so ALL the fighters can be loaded and launched at once. It is a strike-carrier. Jump in, release the swarm of vipers, cover their back with heavy anti aircraft fire, provide fast landing option after the attack and jump out. The ship is sleek and agile. It was designed for war, not for prolonged duties.
"I think it is impossible to really understand somebody, what they want, what they believe, and not love them the way they love themselves."
Speaker for the Dead

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
I'm getting the sense the poor ship may not survive R1.

Slightly OT, but I'm also really looking forward to the R1 characters discovering the Cylons amongst them.

There is only one hangar deck. The landing surfaces are doubled to maximize landing options and make landing faster. The launch tubes are up-down-up-down to save space, so ALL the fighters can be loaded and launched at once.

How do they flip the Vipers upside-down in the hangar to fit them into the tube?

Offline StarSlayer

• Men Kaeshi Do
    • Steam
Additive and Subtractive magic :P Lets face it the idea is silly on Pegasus and its silly here but quite frankly I thought it looked cool and I was able to forgo my usual attention to reality since it somehow works on Pegasus.  As FraktuRe mentioned we once had a very long debate about it on BTRL forums(I might have started the discussion since it thought it was silly on Pegasus)
“Think lightly of yourself and deeply of the world”

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
Exactly. Pegasus has already said it's possible so we don't care how silly it is. :p
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline Deckard

• DECK-A-R&D
This BattleStar rocks; keep up the good work!
-------------------------------
Deckard a.k.a The Silencer

Offline Meleardil

As I said, Tan.J has not even started the REAL detailing. :D Just to prove my point, I am posting few pictures from his last update. He has started WIP threads on Foundation 3D and Sci-fi Meshes. I would like to ask you to go those sites and prise him directly. We artists thrive on prise and applose. Please, "feed" us" :)

F3D thread: http://www.foundation3d.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6605

SFM thread: http://www.scifi-meshes.com/forums/3d-wips/65161-battlestar-theseus-high-poly-diaspora.html

« Last Edit: July 01, 2009, 05:08:24 pm by Meleardil »
"I think it is impossible to really understand somebody, what they want, what they believe, and not love them the way they love themselves."
Speaker for the Dead

Offline Rodo

• Custom tittle
  • stargazer
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
I love frikking big ships... they are so, charming and realistic ^^
el hombre vicio...

Offline Meleardil

Another update from Tan.J. A closer look at the spinal missile silos.
He also rendered a comaprison picture. He has a wonderful, high detail mesh of a Galactica class battlestar. For those, who were curious about the size of the Sobek class, and pure numbers meant little, this picture might help.

Speaker for the Dead

Offline Angelus

• The Angriest Angel
oh lord, how can i resist the bittersweet desire to cuddle both ladies... :D

great work on the details sofar :yes:, have to check the thread on Sci-fi meshes...

They look pretty cool next to each other  :D

Offline TESLA

• 1.21 gigawatts!
That's what I was referring to when I said this

It will also help us somewhat with the texturing of the game model.

Quoting yourself must be the first sign of madness  :p
In order to find his equal, an Irishman is forced
to talk to God.

There are three types of people in this world: those who make things happen, those who watch things happen and those who wonder what happened.

Offline Meleardil

The usual update from Master Tan.J:

Speaker for the Dead

Offline Demitri

That is outstanding!
"Brothers and sisters are natural enemies!
Like Englishmen and Scots!
Or Welshmen and Scots!
Or Japanese and Scots!
Or Scots and other Scots!
Damn Scots! They ruined Scotland!" - Groundskeeper Willie

Offline ark2010

Hi there! I'm new to the boards-ish. By 'ish' i mean that i have been spying on you lot for sometime and the progress that has been made with diasporra, hehehe. Anyways, i usually don't add my 2 cents to boards, because, well, i'm very lazy. But these lil sneak previews have actually caused some kind of reaction in me which has compelled me to join up and send a message of my absolute adoration of this game!!  :eek: Now considering my laziness you can put into perspective the level of my interest by me actually sending this! :nod:

Looks absoluteley superb! Just graduated from uni so hoping the game will come out before i find a job so i can spend many a wasted hour on it... But until then i shall just have to be content in watching the trailers on  constant replay...  :lol:

Incredible ship build, well done!

Offline Aardwolf

• Minecraft
Ah cool, more work on the turrets. I was looking at some of the placements and thinking "how the heck will that turret be able to rotate?"

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
Bear in mind that the recessed ones rise up out of the depressions they are in when they are active (We plan to make that happen in the game eventually but I doubt it will be possible for R1).
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]