Author Topic: 2010-04-14 - Development of the Bolitho model  (Read 34900 times)

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
Re: 10-04-14 - Development of the Bolitho model
We haven't decided on all the elements of the fluff yet so I don't think we have an official figure yet. We'll have to take a look at what Pegasus and Galactica have and try to take a guess from there. :)
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline Aardwolf

• Minecraft
We haven't decided on all the elements of the fluff yet so I don't think we have an official figure yet.

I'll have to remember where this was posted once fanboys start fighting over subtext and whatnot.   :yes:

The ship looks like it'd be very cramped inside. Can't be too many crew members, I'd guess somewhere around 40 at most.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2010, 09:18:50 pm by kodiakus »

In peace time Bolitho corvettes would be handling a wide variety of missions many similar to modern day Coast Guard.  Hence the anti smuggling action taking place in the original concept art.

Ah, so that's why there's a Firefly in the first drawing :p

So would the Constitution class starship from that reasoning ;)
Corruption. It's everywhere!

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
The ship looks like it'd be very cramped inside. Can't be too many crew members, I'd guess somewhere around 40 at most.

O RLY? :p

That 747 is the correct size. Although the shape didn't change much the Bolitho did get significantly bigger during development. But even at its original size it was still a fairly big ship.

NB. Ignore the quality, FPS etc of the screenshots. They were taken on a debug build so they won't look that pretty. :)
« Last Edit: May 11, 2010, 06:05:35 pm by karajorma »

Offline Wolfy

So, theres now a 747 in the fleet? :P
Wolfy - Ship Modeler for SBP07

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
Fire up the Cheddite Projector!

* karajorma is a big fan of Star Smashers of the Galaxy Rangers.

Offline newman

One thing to consider when fanwan.. thinking about the bolitho's crew complement in relation to a galactica sized battlestar is, the size difference alone isn't too good a guideline. A Galactica-type battlestar comes with two flight pods, 40 launch tubes each. That's 80 vipers carried at a bare minimum. Allowing for the fact that each flight pod is about twice as long as a Nimitz class carrier which can carry 90 planes each almost double the size of a viper, I think it's safe to assume a Galactica type battlestar would normally carry more then double the amount of vipers then she has tubes for. At any rate, apart from having pilots for all those vipers and raptors, a ship like that would also need officers to operate the tubes, officers to direct landings, deck hands to maintain all those ships, loadout and refueling operators etc. In short, a whole frakload of jobs the Bolitho simply would have no need for, so I'd expect her crew complement to be lower then what comes out as proportionally smaller to Galactica. If I had to guess I'd say she'd have a similar crew complement to a ww2 destroyer.. Anyway that's my amount of fanwanking for the day covered :P
You know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I go get and beat you with 'til ya understand who's in ruttin' command here! - Jayne Cobb

Offline Richard

WTF a 747 in the game? x'D
Good modification ^^

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
747s in FreeSpace? Must be just another day, I guess. Good thing there are no shivans on that plane.
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline Wolfy

747s in FreeSpace? Must be just another day, I guess. Good thing there are no shivans on that plane.

There's not really any volcanic ash over Europe, the goverments are obviously concerned about a possible Shivan assault on all aircraft :P

As for judgeing the number of crew on the Bolitho: somewhere between 1 and an infinate amount of people are on it :)
Wolfy - Ship Modeler for SBP07

Offline Locutus of Borg

• Who counted those posts?????????????
music is my aeroplane
We are the Borg
We will add your biological and technological distinctiveness to our own

Resistance is FUTILE

Offline headdie

• i don't use punctuation lol
  • Lawful Neutral with a Chaotic outook
    • Minecraft
    • Headdie on Deviant Art
e no shivans on that plane.

someone should really do something on that
Minister of Interstellar Affairs Sol Union - Retired
quote General Battuta - "FRED is canon!"
Contact me at [email protected]
My Release Thread, Old Release Thread, Celestial Objects Thread, My rubbish attempts at art

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
I happen to have a 747 model in the model format Diaspora uses sitting around on my HD just so that I can do size comparisons with a real world object.

I can't remember who made and released it originally. It's not from JAD3 as it's much older.

A better reference would be to have the Raptors docked on the sides, like they were in the concept art. My judgment was based off of the size comparison between the raptors docked on the sides and the Bolitho itself. You really must have upped the size of the Bolitho a bit, because that 747 could fit 8.25 raptors inside of it lengthwise. The concept art was about 12 raptors in length, that bolitho looks about... 24 raptors in length, using the boeing as a reference as best as I can eye it. So, perhaps 200-300 crew? It all depends on what's inside though. Everything from armor to boxes of soap takes up space. you could easily fit a thousand if it were a transport. I'd love to design interior schematics for it, now that you have me thinking.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2010, 01:09:36 am by kodiakus »

Ive been gone for a while lately so its nice to finally see some updates!

Karajorma is obviously a scientologist. Xenu has upgraded his DC-8s to 747s! LOL just kidding.

Seriously though nice work on the Bolitho. I hope I can get to blowing it up soon!

Offline Ace

• Truth of Babel
    • http://www.lordofrigel.com
Well who else would The One True God(tm) be?
Ace
Self-plagiarism is style.
-Alfred Hitchcock

Offline newman

« Last Edit: May 11, 2010, 03:18:50 pm by newman »
You know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I go get and beat you with 'til ya understand who's in ruttin' command here! - Jayne Cobb

Offline Thaeris

• Can take his lumps
  • Away in Limbo
Think that chap even knows what those DIPs are supposed to do?

:P
"trolls are clearly social rejects and therefore should be isolated from society, or perhaps impaled."

-Nuke

"Look on the bright side, how many release dates have been given for Doomsday, and it still isn't out yet.

It's the Duke Nukem Forever of prophecies..."

"Jesus saves.

Everyone else takes normal damage.
"

-Flipside

"pirating software is a lesser evil than stealing but its still evil. but since i pride myself for being evil, almost anything is fair game."

"i never understood why women get the creeps so ****ing easily. i mean most serial killers act perfectly normal, until they kill you."

-Nuke

Offline newman

Think that chap even knows what those DIPs are supposed to do?

:P

They do what Xenu says they do.