Author Topic: 2010-07-30 - Sobek Class Battlestar, now with textures! (image heavy)  (Read 44677 times)

Offline StarSlayer

• Men Kaeshi Do
    • Steam
Re: 10-07-30 Sobek Class Battlestar, now with textures! (image heavy)
Same mechanism as Pegasus  :P
“Think lightly of yourself and deeply of the world”

Offline Ace

• Truth of Babel
    • http://www.lordofrigel.com
She looks absolutely gorgeous! One thing I noticed is that the launch tubes alternate their directions, but the flightpod doesn't look like it's high enough to support 2 separate levels, what's the point of having to stick half the vipers to the roof :P

To launch twice as many fighters at once, even if you have to rotate them into position :p
Ace
Self-plagiarism is style.
-Alfred Hitchcock

Offline Sushi

• Art Critic
Same mechanism as Pegasus  :P

This. BSG's handwaving is good enough for us. :D

Offline newman

The tubes aren't exactly in two levels. The ones that are rotated downwards are on the same height level as the rest. The point being that they take less horizontal space that way so you can have more tubes per pod. Height wise they don't take more space, and there's actually plenty of vertical space between them and the deck for any supposed mechanism that rotates the fighters. Plus like others have said already same system was used on the Pegasus so we're hardly making it up.
You know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I go get and beat you with 'til ya understand who's in ruttin' command here! - Jayne Cobb

Offline FUBAR-BDHR

• Self-Propelled Trouble Magnet
  • Master Drunk
    • 165th Beer Drinking Hell Raisers
OK now I'm confused.  Why would the fighters need to be rotated?  2 landing strips one facing up and one facing down.  Half tubes facing up and half down.  Logically the tubes facing up would be loaded from the top half of the pod, ones facing down the bottom half.  The only time any rotation would be needed is moving them from the ship to the pod or from top half of the pod to bottom half. 
No-one ever listens to Zathras. Quite mad, they say. It is good that Zathras does not mind. He's even grown to like it. Oh yes. -Zathras

Offline newman

Or if moving them from one pod to the other, which we know is possible since the mini. At any rate you'd want a way to rotate them if needed.
You know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I go get and beat you with 'til ya understand who's in ruttin' command here! - Jayne Cobb

Offline FUBAR-BDHR

• Master Drunk
Well you have to rotate people and everything in that case so yea there has to be a way it just needs to be big enough to hold ships.  Think rotating cube with doors that always has the artificial gravity pointing down relative to the entrance as the room rotates so you don't even feel the movement. 
No-one ever listens to Zathras. Quite mad, they say. It is good that Zathras does not mind. He's even grown to like it. Oh yes. -Zathras

Offline newman

Yea was thinking about a prechamber like that myself. Long story short however is it was done in the show :P

Offline Meleardil

• Meleardil Eressea Iluvadan
Jesus! Is it techno bla-bla already? ...nerds!

On the birthday party of your girlfriend would you start a discussion about the proper size of her new artificial boobs with the rest of the guys invited?
"I think it is impossible to really understand somebody, what they want, what they believe, and not love them the way they love themselves."
Speaker for the Dead

Offline newman

Oh, do shut up. :D

Offline FUBAR-BDHR

• Master Drunk
No we would only talk about them if they were real and spectacular :P

Offline newman

Quite so, quite so. Otherwise you just point you finger real obvious-like, say "fake" so everyone can hear you, and move on.
Anyway I think we covered the technobabble part sufficiently so it doesn't need to disturb Mele anymore who never, ever, ever, and not even then, engages in nerd talk. Apart from those few hundred examples I can think of but who's counting :)
And now I'll stop derailing my own thread.

Offline FraktuRe

• Not stupid enough
  • Cheesy oneliner, *****es!
    • Fraktured Reality
I can just imagine cylon pilots/raiders going into battle with it and thinking 'OH GOD IT'S SMILING AT ME'
Or something.
There’s nothing like the truth skewed into the mind of the insane.
- Fraktured Reality
The artist formerly known as Cl1nt.

Offline Fish

• Nugget
Wow, just noticed how spiny this thing is. So many launch tubes! And missile tubes! And some other things on the back that are a different shape, but don't look friendly. Not to mention a fair few turrets...
<><

Offline Satellight

• Star Dreamer
Ouch ! Incredible nice work.   :yes:
Never far away from HLP and from a computer with an installed FreeSpace.

Offline Col. Fishguts

• voodoo doll
My god, it's full of win!

Congrats on getting that thing ingame ;) What I like most about Slayer's design is that it clearly is a battlestar, while having it's very own design features. It's not just something kitbashed together from Galactica and/or Pegasus parts like oh-so-many other fan designs :yes:
« Last Edit: July 31, 2010, 06:51:48 am by Col. Fishguts »
"I don't think that people accept the fact that life doesn't make sense. I think it makes people terribly uncomfortable. It seems like religion and myth were invented against that, trying to make sense out of it." - D. Lynch

Visit The Babylon Project, now also with HTL flavour  ¦ GTB Rhea

Offline Meleardil

...it doesn't need to disturb Mele anymore who never, ever, ever, and not even then, engages in nerd talk.
Physicists never do! Sci-fi modder nerd physicists do it even fewer times!
"I think it is impossible to really understand somebody, what they want, what they believe, and not love them the way they love themselves."
Speaker for the Dead

We've shown you the Sobek class battlestar before; you've seen Slayer's original design sketches, Meleardil's model, then Tan.J.'s high poly model.

Dont forget the pretty ugly recreation of this ship in one of the Second Life BSG Roleplay sims.

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Wait, what?
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline Meleardil

Dont forget the pretty ugly recreation of this ship in one of the Second Life BSG Roleplay sims.
What? Any pictures? I must have missed it. I know about the cloning of another SS design, the Bolitho, but not this one.
Speaker for the Dead