Author Topic: 2010-10-29 - Diaspora Trailer 3  (Read 39516 times)

Offline Angelus

• The Angriest Angel
Re: 10-10-29 - Diaspora Trailer 3
I notice an awful lot of missiles seem to make it through Theseus' flak screens. What happened to the Cylons having to fight for every hit? :P

The crew of the Theseus is still in training. With enough time and front line missions, they'll build up enough experience.  :P

Offline FUBAR-BDHR

• Self-Propelled Trouble Magnet
  • Master Drunk
    • 165th Beer Drinking Hell Raisers
The firing code for the CIWS was still in development when the video was taken.  Wait until you see it in the fully operational state. 
No-one ever listens to Zathras. Quite mad, they say. It is good that Zathras does not mind. He's even grown to like it. Oh yes. -Zathras

Offline Col. Fishguts

• voodoo doll
I spy RTT-ed DRADIS... how much of a performance hit is it?
"I don't think that people accept the fact that life doesn't make sense. I think it makes people terribly uncomfortable. It seems like religion and myth were invented against that, trying to make sense out of it." - D. Lynch

Visit The Babylon Project, now also with HTL flavour  ¦ GTB Rhea

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
This can't really be our old engine anymore...can it?  Unbelievable.  :eek2:

My eyeballs just officially melted out of my face- damn you dev team, now I'll have to fly blind.

You guys are awesome. Btw.

Great. Now I'm gonna need a towel...

Offline Fury

• The Curmudgeon
I think it's time to get on to some critique now that most of the oggling is done with. :)

First, I'd like to say that ship model and texture quality is really good. This is where Diaspora stands above current FS mods by far. However, effects wise Diaspora is a bit behind the quality bar set by ships. The explosions don't really look lively, though this is often a matter of taste. Still, I prefer the explosions that are currently in mediavps, and both sets were done by Nighteyes.

I don't like the explosion effect with debris in it. It looks silly to have debris effect every time the explosion triggers no matter what it impacts or whether it impacts anything at all. Though with scripting you could have more than one explosion effect per weapon, useful for missiles really. I would also suggest to take a note from mediavps and add a bit of flavor to nukes and ships going boom.

As was said before in this topic, CIWS wasn't functional. It's too bad because I really would have liked to see it in action, right now the ships were really pummeled by hundreds of missiles while player watches helplessly. Well, something to expect in the next trailer then. :) It however got me curious as to what new coding does Diaspora CIWS need, can someone shed some light on that?

Some aspects of the trailer makes me a bit worried about gameplay, but it's hard to draw conclusions as the project is still WIP and things like unfinished CIWS makes it all the more difficult.

Still, great trailer and I love to see the new stuff and how FSO can look with exceptional modeling and texturing. This'll be one of the projects that can finally make FSO justice, don't screw it up boys. :)

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
Yeah I think some BP2-style flashes for missile detonations (especially for nukes) would be great.

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.
The Cylon missiles and the fighter guns look pretty good, but the Theseus has some big problems.

It's not just CIWS, the heavy flak doesn't appear to have any effect either. Scripted explosions, way out there, and doesn't look near as impressive as the heavy-and-close storms of fire and shrapnel the show gave us. (Pegasus in The Captain's Hand, for example, or Galactica in Scattered.)  The big gun rounds at the least need very visible tracers like they had in the show.  (And for that matter, don't appear to match the rate of fire you can spot in Scattered, though it matches up okay with Galactica in the miniseries.) I'll grant maybe it has more to do with the suppression barrage from the miniseries, but it still doesn't seem to have any effect on anything that passes through the fire. Certainly not missiles.
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

Offline Sushi

• Art Critic
The Cylon missiles and the fighter guns look pretty good, but the Theseus has some big problems.

It's not just CIWS, the heavy flak doesn't appear to have any effect either. Scripted explosions, way out there, and doesn't look near as impressive as the heavy-and-close storms of fire and shrapnel the show gave us. (Pegasus in The Captain's Hand, for example, or Galactica in Scattered.)  The big gun rounds at the least need very visible tracers like they had in the show.  (And for that matter, don't appear to match the rate of fire you can spot in Scattered, though it matches up okay with Galactica in the miniseries.) I'll grant maybe it has more to do with the suppression barrage from the miniseries, but it still doesn't seem to have any effect on anything that passes through the fire. Certainly not missiles.

I believe at the time that the videos were made, the code hadn't yet been added that allows secondary weapons to take damage from explosions (like flak). I can reassure you that in trunk Diaspora, although we still have some tweaking to do, the flak screen does indeed make a difference against both missiles and fighters. And what the flak misses, the CIWS often doesn't. :)

Offline Angelus

• The Angriest Angel
i'm working on "realistic" flak screens myself for quite some time, and i can tell you, it's a pain to set up properly.
There's also the balance issue.

Regarding the trailer, it's a trailer of a WIP, not an video of the final product. I'll wait with critics when R1 is out...  :P

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action

It's not just CIWS, the heavy flak doesn't appear to have any effect either. Scripted explosions, way out there

They may look like that but they definitely aren't.

The big gun rounds at the least need very visible tracers like they had in the show.

Those are quite clearly visible in the trailer.

but it still doesn't seem to have any effect on anything that passes through the fire. Certainly not missiles.

Splash damage impacting missiles was only recently implemented. Probably old footage.

WATCH COMMITS NOOB

Offline newman

Splash damage impacting missiles was only recently implemented. Probably old footage.

Exactly that, most of the footage was actually taken 1-2 months ago but we only recently managed to get it all together in a trailer, due to our trailer guy getting himself drafted :)
You know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I go get and beat you with 'til ya understand who's in ruttin' command here! - Jayne Cobb

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.

I actually watched Theseus closely, and no, it's not.

The Bolitho has white smoke trails similar to those seen for anti-capital fire in Resurrection Ship, yes. (Though they are not nearly as persistent as the ones from Resurrection Ship; maybe the trails you see from main battery firing in Scattered?) But you should clearly see tracers from Thesus' main battery in the background, and they're barely visible. When main battery fired on the show, it was big and very visible even at long ranges. In Resurrection Ship, during Pegasus' kamikaze run, and in the suppression barrage in the miniseries, even at long range you could track a shot until it hit something or detonated. Here, it's barely distinguishable from CIWS fire in the show and you lose the individual rounds very easily. (For that matter, Bolitho's CIWS was firing, and those should probably be punched up a bit too. They were barely distinguishable.)
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action

I actually watched Theseus closely, and no, it's not.

The Bolitho has white smoke trails similar to those seen for anti-capital fire in Resurrection Ship, yes

Yeah that's what I was thinking of.

Offline Swifty

• I reject your fantasy & substitute my own
What is NGTM-1R talking about? Tessie main batteries shoot rounds with trails in the video, trails are defined in the tables currently, and I saw trails when I played my build of Diaspora an hour ago. :)

Offline FUBAR-BDHR

• Self-Propelled Trouble Magnet
  • Master Drunk
    • 165th Beer Drinking Hell Raisers
All artillery has trails.  Flak on the other hand doesn't.  Some of the big guns on the Sobek fire flak and others arty (changeable of course).  

As for the code.  The shockwaves damage bombs options were added around the time the footage was taken.  So depending on the footage it may or may not be in there.   More recently the rate of fire code was developed.  The CIWS weapons were all using a placeholder version in all of the footage.  While the heavy flak from the big guns won't change much the added light flak (not there at all in the footage) from the CIWS system fills in those gaps nicely and allows for an overlapping heavy/light flak field before going to KEWs (only there at placeholder fire rate) for the real close in stuff.  

So the code is there now and the tables updated to use it.  You just haven't seen the power of the fully armed and operational   battlestar.  

Also the Bolo final conversion/tabling hasn't happened yet so it's CIWS hasn't even been implemented.  That might be tonight's project.  
No-one ever listens to Zathras. Quite mad, they say. It is good that Zathras does not mind. He's even grown to like it. Oh yes. -Zathras

Offline Ace

• Truth of Babel
    • http://www.lordofrigel.com
Flak has gone through a lot of iterations to avoid the AI's tendency to have a "walking carpet" firestorm effect.

Right now we have light and heavy flak that do splash damage on missiles, and artillery that has a trail and tracer effect.

Flak itself doesn't have the tracer as it's almost instant-hit.

CIWS has also had some recent tweaks to its rate of fire so it's a lot more effective now.
Ace
Self-plagiarism is style.
-Alfred Hitchcock

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
  • Aken Tigh Dekker- you've probably heard me
    • My old squad sub-domain
Can I assume that render to texture is working now? Based on Dradis. Can I also assume that nameplate generation will benefit from your progress? :)
Campaigns I've added my distinctiveness to-
- Blue Planet: Battle Captains
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-Blue planet: Age of Aquarius
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-Ribos: The aftermath / -Retreat from Deneb
-Sol: A History
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Fortune Hunters (I think?)
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine
(Others lost to the mists of time and no discernible audit trail)

Your friendly Orestes tactical controller.

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....
GO GO DEKKER RANGERSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
President of the Scooby Doo Model Appreciation Society
The only good Zod is a dead Zod
NEWGROUNDS COMEDY GOLD, UPDATED DAILY
http://badges.steamprofile.com/profile/default/steam/76561198011784807.png

Offline newman

Can I assume that render to texture is working now? Based on Dradis.

You can.

Can I also assume that nameplate generation will benefit from your progress? :)

Not really sure what you mean by that?
You know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I go get and beat you with 'til ya understand who's in ruttin' command here! - Jayne Cobb