Author Topic: 2010-12-12 - Music for Diaspora  (Read 13065 times)

Offline PhRey

• Composer
    • Ph.Rey Music
2010-12-12 - Music for Diaspora
Hey,

My name is Phil, i'm a french composer, and i'm making music for Diaspora.
I wrote this article under the guidance of karajorma, (and with the help of Shade), to talk about my work within the team.

By chance, I contacted Diaspora's team  in summer 2010, and they immediately put me to the test (I'm not the first one who wants to participate in this great adventure). At that point, I didn't know much about the music of Battlestar Galactica, or about the series itself. But the work of the team is so fabulous, i wanted to give it a try, and I eventually made some pieces which were accepted by the team. Over time, I discovered the wonderful music of Bear McCreary and Richard Gibbs, and attempted to recreate the same sound. The list currently numbers about 30 pieces, and should keep growing over the coming months.

Requests from the team often refer to an existing piece (McCreary or Gibbs). So I take the time to analyze, think, test... and attempt to do pieces that remain faithful to the music which so many people already know and want in the game. I work in my home studio, mainly using sound banks from EWQL (SD2 as RA), Cinesamples and Tonehammer. Much of the work is percussive, or ethnic, but often I also have to transcribe this feeling of open spaces in the background, something people would expect to encounter. There are also some very musical parts (like the famous "Prelude To War") that I'm transcribing my way (actually, I don't know if it will be used, but i really enjoyed this exercise). In short, these are ongoing and rewarding challenges.

To conclude, it is really a great pleasure to discover the music of Battlestar Galactica and participate in this great adventure. I came in contact (briefly) with Bear and his percussionist MB Gordy (longer, thank you to him) because I wanted more information, including how (and which) drums were used in the soundtrack. Finally, I hope that all this work will satisfy even the most demanding of connoisseurs, and I thank the members of Diaspora (who have done a great job for several years) for their confidence. A highly anticipated game is underway!

Some exemples of music for Diaspora : http://www.phreymusic.com/images/music/Diaspora/PlayList/PLayList.html

So Say We All !
Phil

[Edit by Shade] Added date to title.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2012, 10:12:02 pm by karajorma »

Re: 10-12-12 - Music for Diaspora
sound nice dude. great soundtracks!

Offline Shade

Just want to clarify here that neither Karajorma or I actually helped write this. We simply helped translate it from French.
Report FS_Open bugs with Mantis  |  Find the latest FS_Open builds Here  |  Interested in FRED? Check out the Wiki's FRED Portal | Diaspora: Website / Forums
"Oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooh ****ing great. 2200 references to entry->index and no idea which is the one that ****ed up" - Karajorma
"We are all agreed that your theory is crazy. The question that divides us is whether it is crazy enough to have a chance of being correct." - Niels Bohr
<Cobra|> You play this mission too intelligently.

Offline Satellight

• Star Dreamer
I REALLY appreciate your sample work. Many possibilities, many ambiances. Very good.   :yes:

BTW, as I am french too : Je vous souhaite bonne chance ! Et bienvenue sur HLP ! (I wished him the best luck and welcome on HLP)
Never far away from HLP and from a computer with an installed FreeSpace.

BEar is awsome and prelude to war is 1 of my faves that and the remake of all along the watch towers awsome stuff im going to go have a listen to your stuff now :) im sure its good if this team are using your musical talents :)

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
You'll have already heard some of PhRey's work BTW as we used it for the 3rd Diaspora Trailer. :)
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline Master_Drow

• Theseus CIC officer.
Just listened to the preview several times and I must say that it is very good. I am very interested in listening to the whole thing when released.
In my opinion some of the clips are too short to get a good feel for the music, so I'm curious how they play out.

Will be listening.
~~Drow

Offline Mobius

• Back where he started
  • Porto l'azzurro Dolce Stil Novo nella fantascienza
    • The Lightblue Ribbon | Cultural Project
Very nice work. It's immersive! :yes:

[Edit by Shade] Until the new HLP theme is done, please use a less invisible colour when commenting here :)

EDIT: Fine.  :D
« Last Edit: December 27, 2010, 12:11:52 pm by Mobius »
The Lightblue Ribbon

Inferno: Nostos - Alliance
Series Resurrecta: {{FS Wiki Portal}} -  Gehenna's Gate - The Spirit of Ptah - Serendipity (WIP) - <REDACTED> (WIP)
FreeSpace Campaign Restoration Project
A tribute to FreeSpace in my book: Riflessioni dall'Infinito
My interviews: [ 1 ] - [ 2 ] - [ 3 ]

Offline Meleardil

• Meleardil Eressea Iluvadan
I liked the sky blue letters on powder blue background. In that case I had the choice to read it or skip it. I thought it was great.
"I think it is impossible to really understand somebody, what they want, what they believe, and not love them the way they love themselves."
Speaker for the Dead

Offline PhRey

• Composer
    • Ph.Rey Music
Thank you all, and also for the numerous emails and MP, thank you for your support ;o) very appreciated !

Offline torc

• Diaspora SFX engineer
great job! absolutely stunning!  :yes:
indossare una divisa può avere un prezzo alto...ma a volte...è troppo alto!!! Bill Adama

Offline PhRey

• Composer
    • Ph.Rey Music
Ok we have now more than 40 tracks.
Here are some few excerpts once again : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LGpJtNLYitA
(& again thank you Ace for your efficient artistic direction ;o)

Offline yt45

Re: 2010-12-12 - Music for Diaspora
Having played the game, I heard the music, loved it, and thought to myself, "How'd they get Bear McCreary to do the soundtrack?"  You did some damn fine work, Phil.  Can't wait to hear the rest of it!

I'm really interested in hearing what you can do with "Something Dark Is Coming."

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
Phil wasn't our only composer, but he did make more tracks than anyone else. We got very lucky when it came to composers. :)
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline yt45

I see.  In that case, everybody did some pretty strong work!  Can't wait for the next release!