Author Topic: 2011-05-26 - Combat Landings (video)  (Read 22811 times)

Offline Commander Zane

• Spoot Knight of Anvils
Re: 26-05-11 Combat Landings (video)
how does one avoid landing safely (short on ramming)?
Make a sudden dive into the strip. :P

Offline Sushi

• Art Critic
i'm quite impressed with the work you've accomplished so far. Depending on how you take the landings, how does one avoid landing safely (short on ramming)?

At the moment, it's pretty hard to kill yourself with a collision: an afterburner-fueled ram straight into the deck is going to knock off 10% of your hitpoints, maybe. Blame the Freespace engine: it nerfs collision damage pretty severely in a few different ways. I'd love to fix that at some point. :)

For now, if you don't land correctly, you'll get a nasty crashing sound, take some damage (depending on exactly how badly you did), and shake a lot.

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
To be honest I'm not unhappy with the nerf on most difficulty levels. Especially given how often the AI have a habit of flying into you. :p

Of course we can always remove it on insane difficulty. :D
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline Sushi

• Art Critic
Yeah, it would be nice to have some solid per-difficulty-level controls for it. So we could have everything between Freespace Bumper Cars and X-wing's "touch and die."

Offline Dragon

• Citation needed
  • The sky is the limit.
I'd like to be capable of using WC-style ramming tactics (of course, much less usefull because of 3D engine, but still possible), though for Diaspora, it might be better to emulate how colisions were handled on the show (I don't watch it, the only contact with BSG I had was throught BTRL).

Offline Commander Zane

• Spoot Knight of Anvils
How would it be less useful? I'd imagine it would be better since you'd actually hit where you're aiming at instead of phasing through ships at certain angles.

Offline Dragon

• Citation needed
  • The sky is the limit.
I mean, in 2D Wing Commanders, it was much easier to actually connect with enemy ship. 3D games have more precise colision detection and flying into something that's trying to avoid this can get difficult (for example, compare asteroid fields in WC2 and WC3).

Offline Commander Zane

• Spoot Knight of Anvils
I wouldn't know about any other Wing Commander besides the first one, and what I do remember is that it took a particular approach to hitting ships otherwise you'd simply pass through the ship sprite. Being easier to hit ships, I'm not sure if that's true.

Offline Dragon

• Citation needed
  • The sky is the limit.
Strange. Both me and my father used ramming for great effect in WC1 and WC2 (my father also used it in Priv). I've never noticed passing throught ship's sprite.

Offline PhRey

• Composer
    • Ph.Rey Music
It's good to see some new animated pictures ;o) great job !

Offline AtomicClucker

• Runnin' from Trebs
Strange. Both me and my father used ramming for great effect in WC1 and WC2 (my father also used it in Priv). I've never noticed passing throught ship's sprite.

I killed Thrakkath in WC3 by an unintentional ramming, was low on fuel, desperate, and proceeded to fly right through him... the rest is history.
Blame Blue Planet for my Freespace2 addiction.

Offline Felix 039

• The One True Noob
I wish there are more physics involved, like Vipers bouncing a little on the deck until it stops moving/have low enough momentum. And sparks flying out when the bottom of the bird grind against the landing pad.

Any chance we can see a REAL combat landing? With the Battlestar's KEWs firing and stuff? Something similar to the first combat landing as seen in the battle of ragnar?
Turning pros into noobs since 1992.
---
Oh look, there's something down here!

No there isn't...

Offline newman

Any chance we can see a REAL combat landing? With the Battlestar's KEWs firing and stuff? Something similar to the first combat landing as seen in the battle of ragnar?

Sure, but doing trailers requires time so it really depends on people like CooperHawkes having a free window to pull off something like that. We definitely want to release another trailer as soon as we manage, that'll showcase more than just combat landings - some trackIR footage of the cockpits is something we wanted to show off in a video as well.
You know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I go get and beat you with 'til ya understand who's in ruttin' command here! - Jayne Cobb

I'm curious as to what 3d graphic design program yall use to make the ships and such. :p

Offline newman

Mainly 3ds max and Photoshop. Some members used Lightwave but a vast majority of the ships you see in the game were built in max.
You know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I go get and beat you with 'til ya understand who's in ruttin' command here! - Jayne Cobb