Author Topic: 2011-06-18 - Pilots and Rocks  (Read 12832 times)

Offline Water

2011-06-18 - Pilots and Rocks
The pilots were upgraded some time ago. Just recently a lighting problem on the faces was fixed. Now that they are up to scratch it's time to show a few pics.

Each of the shots except the Mk7 and Mk2 have been modified to get a clearer shot by reducing the canopy opacities. In most of the other Colonial craft they are heavily tinted.

Here's a few showing them in the game lab.

The pilots were created using four different faces with interchangeable bodies. There is also an injured version.
Not every pilot makes it so we do have a bit of variation to cover that situation.

Of course if you die you get to do the whole mission again. Aren't we nice. Don't want you getting slack or anything.

The asteroids aren't particularly exciting. They were generated from a cube type object with displacement. The maps for them tile in both directions.
They also can be rotated and still tile. These are the Diaspora replacement for the FreeSpace standard asteroid fields.
One tiling texture map covers three asteroid shapes. FreeSpace had three different colours brown, blue and orange.
We ended up with brown, grey and grey/green. The maps though are interchangeable allowing us to use the texture replacement function.

« Last Edit: November 08, 2012, 08:11:01 pm by karajorma »

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.
Re: 18-06-11 - Pilots and Rocks
That last injured guy looks a little Stretch Armstrong-y...
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

Offline Water

If it's the end one,  the stretch won't be too noticeable, due to how fast it takes off after the explosion.

Offline Halleck

The pilots look great from the side and from the front.

The asteroids are impressive as well. I didn't know that fs2_open could handle such detailed asteroids.

Nice work!

Offline Master_Drow

• Theseus CIC officer.
Very Impressive, Im getting very excited for the game.

Actually I have been excited for the game since the beginning, now I'm super excited!

Offline MetalDestroyer

• Starwars reborn!
Do you plan to make a high poly of the pilots for the cockpit view ?

Offline Water

Do you plan to make a high poly of the pilots for the cockpit view ?
Not at this stage. All you'll see in the cockpit view is the seat.

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
The problem with a high poly pilot model is that it would be static. It would never move at all no matter how much you moved around. It would be more immersion breaking than simply doing the old game trick of pretending your body is invisible.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline AtomicClucker

• Runnin' from Trebs
Those be some dead pilots, any possibility of floating corpsicle flavor?
« Last Edit: June 19, 2011, 09:21:23 pm by AtomicClucker »
Blame Blue Planet for my Freespace2 addiction.

Offline Water

Those be some dead pilots, any possibility of floating corpsicle flavor?
Yup, that's the one without the seat. The main reason for the generic cracked glass look was to keep the amount of faces on the texture sheet down to four + 1

Here's a look at the actual textures.

The pilot is relatively low poly at 484 triangles

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter

Did you guys rewrite the normal mapping shaders? Because that normal map sure as hell isn't going to work correctly with the default FSO shaders.
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline Water

Did you guys rewrite the normal mapping shaders? Because that normal map sure as hell isn't going to work correctly with the default FSO shaders.
Heh, no site I visit ever shows the DXT5nm version. The blue version is easier to read (visually) as well.

Offline Fish

• Nugget
Great to see the effort and detail going into the finer touches of the game - visually and technically :)

Looking forward to your continued progress as always!
<><

Offline starlord

Very nice! will this be able to give you the possibilities to reproduce the same kind of asteroid field as in the BTRL demo? I don't recall having seen any better one...

Offline FUBAR-BDHR

• Self-Propelled Trouble Magnet
  • Master Drunk
    • 165th Beer Drinking Hell Raisers
I think that was a skybox not a field.
No-one ever listens to Zathras. Quite mad, they say. It is good that Zathras does not mind. He's even grown to like it. Oh yes. -Zathras

Offline Ace

• Truth of Babel
    • http://www.lordofrigel.com
The BtRL effect was done with a large "ship" (bigger than the auto-depart zone of a mission) with the texture on it set to rotate. Then an asteroid field was also set within the mission and larger asteroids placed.

So... it'd not be too hard for us to reproduce that exact effect if wanted.
Ace
Self-plagiarism is style.
-Alfred Hitchcock

Offline Water

The asteroids are impressive as well. I didn't know that fs2_open could handle such detailed asteroids.
Actually the MVP versions are higher poly ranging from 1.9k up to 8.2k. These ones top out at 1.2k
The advantage of having boring asteroids that aren't so individual looking, is it takes longer to notice they are all copies once in a field.

These are a re-interpretation of the retail versions using tiled normal and diffuse maps.

Offline Locutus of Borg

• Who counted those posts?????????????
What 3D modelling program do you guys use? Max? Maya?
We are the Borg
We will add your biological and technological distinctiveness to our own

Resistance is FUTILE

Offline newman

Not all of us use the same thing. Most often it's max, but there have been users of other apps (though iirc not Maya). Personally, I work in Max and I believe so does Water.
You know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I go get and beat you with 'til ya understand who's in ruttin' command here! - Jayne Cobb

Offline Water

Max / Photoshop seems to be the most common combination. These were all done with Blender and Gimp with some extra help from xNormal on the pilots.