Author Topic: 2012-12-25 - Battlestar Valkyrie  (Read 23675 times)

Offline newman

2012-12-25 - Battlestar Valkyrie
It's been a while since the release of Shattered Armistice, so it's time to show off the Battlestar type that will carry the next release. Valkyrie types are much smaller than battlestars like the Galactica, Pegasus, or even a Sobek class - but what she lacks in tonnage she makes up for in style :)

The ship is fully modeled and textured by yours truly, it is missing some features to call it complete though; she still needs things like LODs, debris, destroyable subsystems, nameplates (the one in the campaign will be called the Callisto, not the Valkyrie) and we haven't even begun to properly balance her out yet. But she's somewhat functional and in the game, so we can show her off in action against a Cylon Basestar. All shots are from the game, enjoy and I wish everyone a Merry Christmas!

You know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I go get and beat you with 'til ya understand who's in ruttin' command here! - Jayne Cobb

Offline Aesaar

Re: 2012-12-25 - Battlestar Valkyrie
The Valkyrie is one of the best looking battlestar designs (canon or otherwise), and you've more than done it justice.  The model looks incredible.

Jealous of your abilities, I am.
« Last Edit: December 26, 2012, 06:17:36 am by Aesaar »

Offline AtomicClucker

• Runnin' from Trebs
Sexy. Sadly when we see the Valkyrie and her sisters, they're almost like the redshirts of battlestars.

This does the girl and her sisters some justice :D
Blame Blue Planet for my Freespace2 addiction.

Offline Kobrar44

• On Suspended Sentence
  • Let me tilerape it for you!
    • Steam
It beats even Steve-O, and he is my numer One on HLP. It's almost real.

PS: Could you make screens with shadoes_deferred_and_stuff build?
Oh guys, use that [ url ][ img ][ /img ][ /url ] :/

Offline Luis Dias

oh my its full of stars...

Offline Rodo

• Custom tittle
  • stargazer
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
that's how win looks like.
el hombre vicio...

Now I really need to pick up my jaw from the floor :D
How do you plan to arm her? (Will she have more fire power than Sobek class warships?) Apart from standard KEW artillery. How about missile tubes and nuclear warheads silos :D? (I really love such kind of stuff. It was my fav scene from SA when Theseus launched all her nukes)

Offline newman

She will definitely have less firepower than the Theseus. The Theseus is an attack battlestar with armament and fighter complements comparable to the Galactica. The Valkyrie is a light battlestar that fills a different role. It's much smaller (around 650m long while the Theseus was around 1000m), has smaller pods, 6 launch tubes (Sobek has 80), smaller turrets (though it does have around 50 of them), it does have some missile launchers (some of them will be anti-fighter, others anti-ship) and yes it's possible some of her missile complement will be small tactical nukes (but not the large VLS types). However she has yet to be properly balanced in the game - so her final stats will be derived later, after we've had a chance to test her in actual missions.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2012, 05:36:20 am by newman »
You know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I go get and beat you with 'til ya understand who's in ruttin' command here! - Jayne Cobb

oh my its full of stars...

This. And the other sentiments as well.

Offline Ace

• Truth of Babel
    • http://www.lordofrigel.com
Now I really need to pick up my jaw from the floor :D
How do you plan to arm her? (Will she have more fire power than Sobek class warships?) Apart from standard KEW artillery. How about missile tubes and nuclear warheads silos :D? (I really love such kind of stuff. It was my fav scene from SA when Theseus launched all her nukes)

The artillery and flak are lighter variants, similar in caliber to those on the Bolitho. As newman mentioned we have STS and STF missiles on it too. Most of the STS missiles are conventional but it can be fitted with nuclear tipped ordnance too.
Ace
Self-plagiarism is style.
-Alfred Hitchcock

Offline YIIMM

Nice work.

Given the orientation of the launch tubes will it be possible with this class to have that battlestar already in motion when you launch or would that still be problematic?

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
Nice work.

Given the orientation of the launch tubes will it be possible with this class to have that battlestar already in motion when you launch or would that still be problematic?

That's possible with the Theseus too. You just need to use a bit of FRED trickery to adjust the Viper's glide path down the tube.

It's beautiful!

Offline Nyctaeus

• The Slavic Engineer
  • My "FS Ships" folder is 582gb.
    • Minecraft
    • Exile
My God... :yes: :yes:
Exile | Shadow Genesis | Inferno | Series Resurrecta  | DA Profile | P3D Profile

Proud owner of NyctiShipyards. Remember - Nyx will fix it!

All of my assets including models, textures, skyboxes, effects may be used under standard CC BY-NC 4.0 license.

Offline Dragon

• Citation needed
  • The sky is the limit.
Looks incredible. One question though, what's with the engines? They seem to be missing the flames.

Maybe they are not modelled yet and will be added later. I hope that we we will see them just like on the Theseus :)

Offline newman

Maybe they are not modelled yet and will be added later. I hope that we we will see them just like on the Theseus :)

Pretty much, they just aren't added yet. Not a huge amount of work, they'll be there :)

Offline Rodo

• Custom tittle
  • stargazer
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
and something to add aside from the awesome valky: DAT PLANET.
el hombre vicio...

I can not wait to take my Viper out of her tubes, if you know what I mean!

She has a very organic appearance to her. Like somewhere between a snake and some sort of fish...