Author Topic: 2012-12-25 - Announcing Diaspora Release 2 - End of Line  (Read 33514 times)

Offline newman

2012-12-25 - Announcing Diaspora Release 2 - End of Line

After a bit of an extended silence following the release of Shattered Armistice in September, we thought it was time to reveal a bit of what's next to come. Our next release is going to be called End of Line, it will introduce an additional Battlestar type, as well as many other ship types we'll be covering over time in their own dev blog entries. The general storyline for this campaign has been written, and right now we're in the process of building additional art assets needed to tell the story.

So, how long is it going to be? Shattered Armistice was short...

We're still fairly early in the development cycle so the exact number of missions may well change over time. For now, we can say this campaign will be almost twice as long as Shattered Armistice.

When is it coming out?

Since we're still early in R2 development, it's difficult to say. With Shattered Armistice, we've done a lot of the ground work future releases won't have to deal with, so it should take much less time than it took us to get R1 out. How long exactly is impossible to predict at this juncture, so I'm afraid "when it's done" will have to be our answer to this, at least for now. We'll strive keep you updated via dev blogs, though.

What new ships will you introduce this time? Will we see the Theseus again?

There will be at least one new playable craft, possibly more. This release will introduce the battlestar Callisto, a Valkyrie-type vessel. Both the Colonial and Cylon sides will be getting additional support ships designed by StarSlayer, we plan to introduce several new space installation types, and the civilian fleet will be getting new ships added to it as well. We will cover this in more detail in future dev blog posts. You won't be seeing the Theseus in this campaign again - it's story was concluded in Shattered Armistice. It is possible we might do a campaign that features the Theseus (or a different Sobek class) during the first Cylon war, but this isn't planned for End of Line. Of course, the Theseus and any other R1 ships will remain available for use in the mission builder.

What can you tell us about the plot?

Not much, really - we'd like to avoid spoilers so the plot is fresh to the player when it comes out. Once again, the bulk of the plot happens during the fall of the Colonies.

But isn't introducing another battlestar that survived the fall stretching it a bit? How will you explain it?

You'll have to wait and see :) Technically, though, we never introduced a battlestar that survived the fall. As for Callisto's ultimate fate or how she came to avoid being destroyed immediately when the attack began, you'll just have to play it when it comes out. We've put a lot of thought into integrating this plot line with the continuity of the show, and we hope you'll find the story fits the universe naturally.

Will we see the Galactica or Pegasus this time?

Not in this release, sorry. The whole point of episodic releases was to not have to do everything in one huge release that takes too long to finish, risking project death before we get to release anything. This way we set more smaller, realistic goals, and get a lot of useful feedback along the way allowing us to fine-tune and improve the game as we go along. The Galactica and Pegasus are planned to show up after R2, though.

So much for now, on behalf of the Diaspora development team I'd like to wish happy holidays and a Merry Christmas to everyone!
« Last Edit: December 25, 2012, 09:13:12 am by Axem »
You know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I go get and beat you with 'til ya understand who's in ruttin' command here! - Jayne Cobb

Offline Veers

Re: 2012-12-05 Announcing Diaspora Release 2 - End of Line
 :shaking: with excitement. Go for it guys, nothing short of fantastic was Shattered Armistice. End of Line can only go up and up :)
« Last Edit: March 02, 2013, 05:17:26 am by Veers »
Current Activities/Projects: Ideas and some storyline completed.

ArmA 2&3 Mission Designer and player.

WoD - I like Crystal. <3

Offline TwentyPercentCooler

• Operates at 375 kelvin
Re: 2012-12-05 Announcing Diaspora Release 2 - End of Line
Best gift ever! No, seriously, really looking forward to this. Thank you, Diaspora team, for your hard work and Happy Holidays!

Re: 2012-12-25 - Announcing Diaspora Release 2 - End of Line
Looks promising! One question though... End of (the) line?

Offline An4ximandros

• Transabyssal metastatic event
It's obvious! You'll play a Cylon spy that End(s) of(f)Line! :p

Also, great news! :nod:

Offline newman

End of Line is a reference to a line from the show and is thus correct in this context. You people really need to watch BSG :)
You know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I go get and beat you with 'til ya understand who's in ruttin' command here! - Jayne Cobb

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.
End of Line is a reference to a line from the show and is thus correct in this context. You people really need to watch BSG :)

Perhaps, but it's also a reference to Tron, thus making this...unfortunately hilarious, I suppose?
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

Offline An4ximandros

• Transabyssal metastatic event
Ah! This, plus the cylon looking logo tell me you'll play a sleeper, confirmed! :p

Offline newman

A sleeper on a lightcycle.

Offline Fish

• Nugget
Woohoo! This is very exciting, and I hadn't even tired of R1 yet ;)

...and I apologise for the delayed enthusiasm - I knew I'd miss the dev blog posts when the sub-forum was moved.
<><

Offline StarSlayer

• Men Kaeshi Do
    • Steam
A sleeper on a lightcycle.

Father, The Sleeper has awakened!
“Think lightly of yourself and deeply of the world”

Hold on a second... is that a Guardian or some sort of non-canon basestar in the title image?

Offline newman

Neither. It's something we'll show in more detail later :)

Offline CenturionModel0005

• Original Centurion
Loving it many thanks for keeping us up to date on this project

Offline wistler

Neither. It's something we'll show in more detail later :)
Oh you tease!

cant wait for this to come out. Shattered Armistice is tied for first on my favorite campaigns of all time list. I have never seen BSG, so this was an amazing experiance in that everything was new to me and unexpected. I loved Shattered Armistice because of the tight spots I always managed to wriggle out of and the epic story. This is my favorite flying game period and I wish more people knew about Diaspora because they don't know how much fun they are missing out on.
is the campaign definitly coming out this year? I will mark my calender as soon as it is announced and will eagerly await another amazing story!

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
We can't say when it will come out because we simply don't know ourselves. We're working on it but the best we can do is give updates about what we've actually achieved so far.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Ok! I can definitly wait for something this awesome. I almost had a heart attack when I saw the words "twice as long"
Keep up the amazing work!

I just found out about Diaspora yesterday and I can't believe I was missing out on this. Amazing stuff, cant wait for more ships and missions!

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
How did you hear about us?
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]