Author Topic: 2012-12-25 - Announcing Diaspora Release 2 - End of Line  (Read 33516 times)

Re: 2012-12-25 - Announcing Diaspora Release 2 - End of Line
wait, I know what that is... what the hell is that? oh I know... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RV7Qz640OeM
« Last Edit: March 27, 2013, 11:46:14 am by Weaver Tigh »

How did you hear about us?

Stumble Upon

any updates about when this will be released?

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
Nope. We don't know yet so we can't tell you. We covered the reasons for this in the FAQ.

When will it be done?

Future releases will add more ships, weapons, and storylines.

The team basically consists of volunteers who are giving up our spare time in order to produce a game. Since we can't work on it full time it's very hard to make estimates. If someone important to the team gets busy with real life commitments things can slow down. They always pick up again eventually, but we can't give any predictions for when the game will be completely done.

However since we are planning on having episodic releases, as as we get close to completion on each one we will be able to give rough estimates for how long it might take us to get the next release out. Any estimate would be a best guess and would be subject to refinements and revisions depending on how much work is getting done and if we've hit any snags.

Currently we're in the model building stage. FREDding for R2 hasn't started yet. So we're still a while from release.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline newman

any updates about when this will be released?

If there were, we would have published them. R2 isn't going to be out soon, though.
You know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I go get and beat you with 'til ya understand who's in ruttin' command here! - Jayne Cobb

I'm curious to know if End of Line might include, or perhaps future updates for it, co-op campaign missions?

Important question: what is 'End of Line' meant to mean? Without an article before 'Line' I can only think of really bizarre interpretations of that phrase.
The good Christian should beware of mathematicians, and all those who make empty prophecies. The danger already exists that the mathematicians have made a covenant with the devil to darken the spirit and to confine man in the bonds of Hell.

Offline Lorric

I googled it, and I think this is likely:

http://tron.wikia.com/wiki/End_of_Line

Offline swashmebuckle

• Das Lied von der Turd
    • The Perfect Band
It's one of the things the hybrid cylons in the base ships say from time to time during their streams of ship status/metaphysical pondering jibber jabber.

Important question: what is 'End of Line' meant to mean? Without an article before 'Line' I can only think of really bizarre interpretations of that phrase.

It refers to what the Hybrid says after she is done "rambling." Such as... "The excited state decays by vibrational relaxation into the first excited singlet state. Yes, yes and merrily we go. Reduce atmospheric nitrogen by 0.03%. It is not much consolation that society will pick up the bits, leaving us at eight modern where punishment, rather than interdiction, is paramount. Please, cut the fuse. They will not harm their own. End of line. Limiting diffusions to two dimensions increases the number of evolutionary jumps within the species. Rise and measure the temple of the five. Transformation is the goal. They will not harm their own. Data-font synchronization complete."

Offline Vidmaster

• Inventor of FS2 bullettime ;-)
news?
Devoted member of the Official Karajorma Fan Club (Founded and Led by Mobius).

Does crazy Software Engineering for a living, until he finally musters the courage to start building games for real. Might never happen.

It's been kinda quiet on this board for awhile, @Vidmaster maybe R2 is gonna be out for Christmas!..... How's that for a bit of wildly (Insanely) optimistic and totaly factless bit of speculation lol. I am really looking forward to flying my viper along side the Valkyrie when the time comes... the anticipation of R2 coming out will almost be as as good as playing it.

Offline Luis Dias

I don't think that is the case, but I'm willing to bet they will give us some exciting news in that date to both mark the anniversary of the announcement and christmas.

Offline newman

It definitely won't be out of Christmas (at least not this one!) :)  There's been a rather long hiatus, with certain members - me included - being prevented from doing much for the last few months due to rl issues and such. It will pick up again, but R2 won't be out any time soon I'm afraid.
You know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I go get and beat you with 'til ya understand who's in ruttin' command here! - Jayne Cobb

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
Indeed. Most of the work that has been done recently is aimed at R1.5 rather than R2. R1.5 won't have that much new stuff in it, it's basically the (hopefully) final version of R1. What new stuff we do manage to do will be geared towards multiplayer.

Work will pick up though. Especially if we do manage to get some more recruits for the art department. Pretty pictures always get everyone motivated. :)

Guys... I've been waiting for Diaspora for 3 years since I heard about it. And it was worth it. Take your time, do your job, and make the R2 at least as good as first :D. I can wait for it even next 3 years xD No need to rush.

When you say multiplayer, do you mean adding more assets to the game, like more flyable ships (Mk.2 w/ cockpit), the Valkyrie, and some civvies? Also, will there be engine updates to include things like shadows? Should we expect any GUI changes?

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
New assets will come with R2 most likely. Engine updates are very likely though.

Cool! So, other than shadows, which are a non-Diaspora specific thing, what sort of engine updates are possible or needed?

Offline MatthTheGeek

• Captain Obvious
  • Frenchie McFrenchface
Nothing in Diaspora is Diaspora specific, you're looking at it the wrong way.

I know Karaj and others have been looking at multiplayer code. They can probably tell you more than I can.
People are stupid, therefore anything popular is at best suspicious.

Mod management tools     -     Wiki stuff!     -     Help us help you

666maslo666: Releasing a finished product is not a good thing! It is a modern fad.

SpardaSon21: it seems like you exist in a permanent state of half-joking misanthropy

Axem: when you put it like that, i sound like an insane person

bigchunk1: it's not retarded it's american!
bigchunk1: ...

batwota: steele's maneuvering for the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: you mispelled grĂ¢ce
Awaesaar: grace
batwota: oh right :P
Darius: ah!
Darius: yes, i like that
MatthTheGeek: the way you just spelled it it means fat
Awaesaar: +accent I forgot how to keyboard
MatthTheGeek: or grease
Darius: the killing fat!
Axem: jabba does the coup de gras