Author Topic: OLD FreeSpace Open Installer  (Read 764574 times)

Offline miskat

Re: FreeSpace Open Installer! Download it now!
Meh... not looking for another installer right now.  hehe  Bout to take a trip home for a week, so getting into something like that right now would be counter productive.  But the new models interest me, and I'm curious as to the effects of the .tbl file and what all that does.

Any clues?  How about where I can get those model files outside of Shivan's pack?

There is some error in how the cutscenes play, I think I can find that link.

Don't know about the ships, you'll have to search for them, or ask at the fsport thread.

Offline Turey

• Installer dude
  • The diminutive form of Turambar.
    • FreeSpace Open Installer Homepage
The .jar file didn't need to be updated, but Macintosh Universal Binaries for 3.6.9 Final have been added. Still not completely sure if all the cross-platform stuff works.

For everyone who's been complaining about the lack of user-friendlyness, this paragraph is for you. I understand it's a pain to have to use a .jar file. I understand that it is really annoying to have gone from having a very nice GUI to having to look at the Command line. Rest assured, now that 3.6.9 is out and I've got cross-compatibility fixed, I'll have plenty of time to work on User-friendlyness. Expect the next couple of updates to go a long way towards making things easier for new users.
Creator of the FreeSpace Open Installer.
"Calm. The ****. Down." -Taristin
why would an SCP error be considered as news? :wtf: *smacks Cobra*It's a feature.

Offline Turey

• Installer dude
Tired of the .jar files?

Try out the new Installer .exe!

This is just a test. If anything doesn't work, tell me.

The .exe doesn't need the Java Utilities - hell, it doesn't even need Java!
« Last Edit: January 06, 2007, 12:11:42 am by Turey »
why would an SCP error be considered as news? :wtf: *smacks Cobra*It's a feature.

Doesn't work yet. It pops up a window that disappears immediately.

So, I copied it to root and ran it from cmd (after shortening the name) to see what I could see.

Offline Turey

• Installer dude
****. Haven't used this before, will take a look at that.

EDIT: Link updated, try it now.

I know it's 20MB. You want small, go with the .jar. You want user-friendly, go with the .exe. Besides, 20MB is small compared to downloading the JRE, which you would need to do for the .jar if you didn't have it. Also, the mediavps are huge, so 20MB won't make all that much of a difference.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2007, 12:29:58 am by Turey »

Yep, it works now, good job!

Offline chief1983

• Still lacks a custom title
  • ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
The links that get the mve cutscenes from mydatabus failed in the java installer.  Don't know how long they've been dead.
Fate of the Galaxy - Now Hiring!  Apply within | Diaspora | SCP Home | Collada Importer for PCS2
Karajorma's 'How to report bugs' | Mantis
#freespace | #scp-swc | #diaspora | #SCP | #hard-light on EsperNet

"You may not sell or otherwise commercially exploit the source or things you created based on the source." -- Excerpt from FSO license, for reference

Nuclear1:  Jesus Christ zack you're a little too hamyurger for HLP right now...
iamzack:  i dont have hamynerge i just want ptatoc hips D:
redsniper:  Platonic hips?!
iamzack:  lays

mydatabus stinks. I have good ones in my sig. If there's too much text to wade through, search on cutscenes.  ;7

Offline Turey

• Installer dude
Wow. I just logged onto mydatabus and I got this message:
You are over your bandwidth quota for public files today. Your public files may not be able to be downloaded until tomarrow.

:eek: :eek2:

I guess the Installer is too popular for its own good.  :nod:

I'll see what I can do about moving those files. In the meantime, use the .ogg movies instead.

I couldn't get The Babylon Project off of mydatabus for days. It seems to cap out every day. I can't find out what their limit is and I guess it's immaterial---they have a cap and it's reached quickly.

I know the good thing about mydatabus is the direct linking, I'm keeping my eyes peeled for an alternate.

BTW I uploaded TBP to another site that doesn't have caps, it took me 5 1/2 hours.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2007, 11:35:23 pm by Huggybaby »

Offline Harbinger of DOOM

• Three fries short of a Happy Meal.
I tried the .jar and this happened:
The jar file "FreeSpaceOpenInstaller.jar" couldn't be launched. Check the Console for possible error messages
aldo_14 ~ "The ego has landed."
an0n ~ "Wheee, I can spam and no-one will notice!"

Offline chief1983

• Still lacks a custom title
  • ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
It's ok.  I got the ogg vp files from Huggy's guide, and the mve's I just copied from my retail CDs (forgot they were just sitting in the filesystem and not hidden in some installer cab file).
Fate of the Galaxy - Now Hiring!  Apply within | Diaspora | SCP Home | Collada Importer for PCS2
Karajorma's 'How to report bugs' | Mantis
#freespace | #scp-swc | #diaspora | #SCP | #hard-light on EsperNet

"You may not sell or otherwise commercially exploit the source or things you created based on the source." -- Excerpt from FSO license, for reference

Nuclear1:  Jesus Christ zack you're a little too hamyurger for HLP right now...
iamzack:  i dont have hamynerge i just want ptatoc hips D:
redsniper:  Platonic hips?!
iamzack:  lays

chief1983, you probably know this, but in case someone else doesn't:

Save yourself some hard drive space. The ogg's and the mve's do the same thing, so you only need one or the other.

I like the oggvp files that Hunter made. One is for FS1, one is for FS2, so 2 files will replace 20 and work perfectly.

The only reason to get the 20 files is if you want to view them outside the game, but that's cheating. Play the game and EARN the right to view them I say.  :D

PS I'm uploading the iso's for three FS1 CD's now. Glad I got them before all the servers went down. When I'm done in 15-20 hours I'll post the links in my guide, natch. Plus I 7zipped them so they'll be much smaller than the previous iso downloads.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2007, 02:09:03 am by Huggybaby »

Offline Turey

• Installer dude
I tried the .jar and this happened:
The jar file "FreeSpaceOpenInstaller.jar" couldn't be launched. Check the Console for possible error messages

Do you have JRE 1.5?

I saw that error message on a mac that didn't have JRE 1.5.

Offline Turey

• Installer dude
People who have mods included in the Installer:

With the exception of Axem, who's already done this, you all need to go to http://www.fsoinstaller.com/files/installer/java/ , find the text file that contains your mod, mirror it somewhere, and post a link to it. If you want to change the contents, go ahead, but I will still need the link.

People who have mods but haven't included them in the Installer:

Make a text file that will download your mod by following the instructions here, then post a link. The Installer is run over 100 times a day, and that's HUGE exposure for your mod.

I like the oggvp files that Hunter made. One is for FS1, one is for FS2, so 2 files will replace 20 and work perfectly.

This was pretty much my reason of compiling them into a VP, it keeps everything from looking cluttered. And if you wanted to view the ogg cutscenes and have the VP, you can just double click the movie in vpview and it will open it right up, that is if you have the right codecs, or a player to play the oggs.

Ok Turey I just got a new router and I'm back online searching like a mad man cause the updater says its outdated , so I dl this new and improved one and all I get is a cmd box that has >>>> Freespace 2 Directory at the top with a blinking cursor, what did I do wrong this time?

All vista problems can be corrected, by upgrading to XP

Offline Turey

• Installer dude
Ok Turey I just got a new router and I'm back online searching like a mad man cause the updater says its outdated , so I dl this new and improved one and all I get is a cmd box that has >>>> Freespace 2 Directory at the top with a blinking cursor, what did I do wrong this time?

Nothing. I'm still working (or goober is still working, depending on if he gets time to do it before I finish learning how to do GUIs) on the GUI for the new version. So, for now, It's still command line. Simply type in C:\Games\FreeSpace2 and it should work.

Offline FUBAR-BDHR

• Self-Propelled Trouble Magnet
  • Master Drunk
    • 165th Beer Drinking Hell Raisers
Ok trying the installer for the first time.  Was already runnng 3.6.9 final and chose the update option.  Seems to be working fine execpt it told me my FS2_Open and debug .exe files were out of date.  Any idea what would cause this?
No-one ever listens to Zathras. Quite mad, they say. It is good that Zathras does not mind. He's even grown to like it. Oh yes. -Zathras