Author Topic: OLD FreeSpace Open Installer  (Read 762594 times)

Offline chief1983

• Still lacks a custom title
  • ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
Re: FreeSpace Open Installer! Download it now!
I supposed copy and pasting with slight altering would work for another mod's ini file.

Yup, should work brilliantly.  All you really need to do is make sure that mediavps is in the secondary list I think, and you should be good.
Fate of the Galaxy - Now Hiring!  Apply within | Diaspora | SCP Home | Collada Importer for PCS2
Karajorma's 'How to report bugs' | Mantis
#freespace | #scp-swc | #diaspora | #SCP | #hard-light on EsperNet

"You may not sell or otherwise commercially exploit the source or things you created based on the source." -- Excerpt from FSO license, for reference

Nuclear1:  Jesus Christ zack you're a little too hamyurger for HLP right now...
iamzack:  i dont have hamynerge i just want ptatoc hips D:
redsniper:  Platonic hips?!
iamzack:  lays

Offline Turey

• Installer dude
  • The diminutive form of Turambar.
    • FreeSpace Open Installer Homepage
Installer updated, changelog will be updated soon.

It's the moment you've all been waiting for! The Installer now has a full-fledged GUI!

New features:
New Page-based layout - feels almost like a modern commercial installer!
New Directory Selection Process - no more errors from typos when selecting a folder! The Installer makes sure that the path you've chosen exists before you can proceed, instead of just crashing!
New Section Selection Process - intuitive tree-based selection, with dependency checking and convienient description buttons!
New Install-time Interaction - convienient progress bar helps you keep track of file downloads, while saved error and status logs allow you to peruse the information at your own pace!
Improved Exit Handling - quitting halfway through now wastes less bandwidth than ever before!
Improved Error Handling - no more need to delete installedversions.txt! If a download fails for some reason, the Installer automatically notifies you in the post-installation notes, and marks the section as needing checking next time the Installer runs!

New Post-Installation Notes:
Users - need a little help getting things set up after the install finishes? Now, once the install finishes, anything that you might need to know about the files you just installed is displayed on-screen for you to read! In addition, the Installer saves all the post-installation notes for that install in <The Folder You Installed To>\Installer\install_notes_<year>_<month>_<day>_<hour>_<min>_<sec>_<milisec>.txt, so that it keeps a history of which install notes you've seen and when, in case you ever need them!
Mod Creators - Got a little something special you'd like to tell the people who download your files? Simply want to point them to your FAQ/Forums/Donation page? You've now got an unlimited number of lines that you can use to tell users of anything you want in relation to your creation!

Total Conversion Groups/Anyone who might want a customized Online Installer - Simply by creating a minimum of four text files, you can have your own customized Online Installer/Updater, which you will have complete control over (It doesn't have to interact with FSOInstaller.com in any way). It's an easy way to avoid a patching nightmare!

EDIT: .exe version temporarily unavailable. Use the .jar until I can get it fixed.

EDIT: .exe version up.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2007, 04:10:34 pm by Turey »
Creator of the FreeSpace Open Installer.
"Calm. The ****. Down." -Taristin
why would an SCP error be considered as news? :wtf: *smacks Cobra*It's a feature.

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
  • It's prounounced jayartoo 0x6A7232
    • Steam
 :jaw:  :eek:  Nice one.   :yes: 8)

I've started downloading the files yesterday, but when I started the installer today, it said it was outdated.
Now I've downloaded both of the new ones, and while the .exe isn't even working, the NEW .jar says too, that my installer is outdated.

so, what am I doing wrong and is there a solution for the problem?

thanks in advance!

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
    • Steam
Download the updated .jar version, and run it.  (Overwrite the old .jar version)  The .exe installer is temporarily down, so use the .jar
If you need help, my siggy has instructions on installing the .jar version...

Ah, yes, and...
The weapons board is overheating, oh well...
Gunnery Control, target Eisbeutel.  Abort the Plasma core removal, we'll be needing them.  Sensor lock acquired, not that we need it... Open Fire!
:welcome:

Welcome to Hard Light Productions. Exits are to your rear. In case of emergency, Flamethrowers can be found under your seats. They're empty though, so you'll have to beat others to death with them.

If, for some strange, as-yet-unknown reason you find yourself crawling through one of the nearby airducts, you are quite possibly going to run into a shivan. Five legs, glowing red eyes. You cant miss 'em. It's probably just Carl, though. Give him whatever food you have on you, and he should leave you alone. If you have none, take comfort in the fact that your death will, at least, be quick (if not painless).

There are Plasma rifles located in the forward storage lockers, however these can only be accessed by an Admin, , God, or Hyperintelligent shade of the color blue. Be warned that the door to the Command Bridge is guarded by subspatial claymore mines.

The SCP is all that is good. Mention eF eS thr33 at your own peril. And have a nice day.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2007, 08:30:13 am by jr2 »

As I've already said, I'm still getting the "your version is outdated" error even if I start the brand-new .jar which he offers for download (tried the one mentioned in the first post of this thread too).

but thanks for the warm welcome ;)

Offline Turey

• Installer dude
As I've already said, I'm still getting the "your version is outdated" error even if I start the brand-new .jar which he offers for download (tried the one mentioned in the first post of this thread too).

but thanks for the warm welcome ;)

I think I fixed it, try again.

EDIT: The .exe should now be available. I had to use a different compression algorithm for the .zip (To shrink it more, as I'm having a hard time uploading larger files), so if you have a hard time unzipping, tell me.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2007, 01:35:50 pm by Turey »
why would an SCP error be considered as news? :wtf: *smacks Cobra*It's a feature.

Offline rms

hay Turey!  good job on the new .exe, it worked fine, just took twice to d/l it!

rms

Offline spzattk

I already have the game installed, and it works OK. I updated it to version 1.2
When I click on the .exe link, I click open, and then get a file with two folders in it. One says "rt" and another says "FreespaceOpenInstaller"
I click on FreespaceOpenInstaller, but when I do, a box comes up saying that I should extract all the files first. I click extract, but then I get a message saying "File skipped unknown compression method".

Am I doing something wrong, I'm not very good with this kind of stuff.

Also: I did this before a few months ago, and I remember it working, did something change since then (I had to uninstall it because the graphics card was bad, but now I should have all the system requirements)?
« Last Edit: March 09, 2007, 06:24:58 pm by spzattk »

yay, works now, thank you!  :D

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
    • Steam
@spzattk: get 7-zip (freeware) and extract it with that.  Install 7-zip, right-click on the .zip file, go to 7-zip > Extract files... , specify a location, and there you go!  I don't know why the other program you're using doesn't work... strange.

EDIT: @spazattk & rms:
My weapons board is overheated for now, but you just wait... :drevil:
« Last Edit: March 09, 2007, 07:28:44 pm by jr2 »

Offline Turey

• Installer dude
I don't know why the other program you're using doesn't work... strange.

It's probably because i switched from "Deflate" to "Deflate64". They should both work with many zip handlers. I believe the problem is that:
When I click on the .exe link, I click open, and then get a file with two folders in it. One says "rt" and another says "FreespaceOpenInstaller"
I click on FreespaceOpenInstaller, but when I do, a box comes up saying that I should extract all the files first. I click extract, but then I get a message saying "File skipped unknown compression method".

Try saving to disk, then unzipping the folder and file to disk, then clicking FreeSpaceOpenInstaller.

If that doesn't work, try 7-zip as recommended above.

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
    • Steam
@Turey: :drevil: If you switched to .7z, you wouldn't have a problem, and the compression would be better... try it, see what the difference is.  ;)
You'd just have to put a note on the download page saying to use 7-zip or the latest version of WinRAR.

Hi everyone!

I just tried installing using Turey's install pack (.exe) and I seem to have gotten this weird error. Here is what it says:

Error: Could not load animation cursor for the mouse pointer

File: J:\src\cvs\fs2_open_2.6.9.final\code\FREESPACE2\FreeSpace.cpp
Line: 9447
[This filename points to a location of a file on the computer that built this executable]

Call stack:
------------------------------
------------------------------

What does this error mean? Have I done something wrong? I am fairly certain that I did the installer properly.

My FS2 is installed in C:\Games\Freespace2

Thank you for your help!

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
    • Steam
Whoever helps him, don't forget to :welcome: him, too.  :D
(BTW, welcome aboard, holyhyperion :) )

Thanks for the welcome :).
I actually used to play this quite a few years ago, but I subsequently stopped with the PXO community died.

I just had the itch one day to try out FS2 Open and here I am trying to install it but getting that weird error :/.

Offline Turey

• Installer dude
You people need to stop giving me good ideas.  :hopping:

Installer updated, still need to do changelog.

Changes:
- pretty border. Can be changed for TC re-branding. Details to follow on the "Using the Installer for a Total Conversion" page I'm writing.
- small changes to progress bar.
- You can't resize the window anymore. It made the pretty pictures look ugly, so it was stopped.
- added another option, "NOAUTO", to the text file specs. It's for things that you don't want selected by default.

What does this error mean? Have I done something wrong? I am fairly certain that I did the installer properly.

How big is C:\Games\FreeSpace2\sparky_fs2.vp?

EDIT: I've finished the TC Installer guide. You can view it here.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2007, 05:46:48 pm by Turey »

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
    • Steam
The button to change the FS Install directory is too big, it takes up the whole screen, so you can't see it's a button.  (.jar version)
I made a very crude-looking fix for it.

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: March 11, 2007, 12:03:44 am by jr2 »

@Turey: :drevil: If you switched to .7z, you wouldn't have a problem, and the compression would be better... try it, see what the difference is.  ;)
You'd just have to put a note on the download page saying to use 7-zip or the latest version of WinRAR.

The problem with 7zip is that it makes the installer from what i remember is that the installer doesn't support 7zip, and its very difficult to add in without having confusing external programs popping up during the installation. With this, some newbie is going to exit the 7zip that is extracting with out even knowing its part of the installation. If 7zip works with the installer there is a possibility we will switch over to it, cant make any promises though.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2007, 02:33:01 pm by [DW]-Hunter »

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
    • Steam
a) 7-zip comes with a command line version included
b) 7-zip is open source