Author Topic: Advice on RAID servers  (Read 366 times)

Offline aldo_14

• Gunnery Control
Advice on RAID servers
This is just me fishing about for info related to work; albiet this isn't going to be my responsibility, I just said I'd sniff around for info......

Anyways, I'm wondering if anyone knows about setting up RAID servers running over Linux; I think we have a couple (of disks) in each of our current 2 servers, but the OS (I believe it's Gentoo - as I said, not really my area of responsibility) won't detect the disks as a RAID array and only runs them as bog-standard individual disks; so does anyone have advice on the best Unix based OS for running a (high bandwidth) server setup?

Also, on the same vein - we're planning on moving from our current, rather stunted, 2 shoddy server setup to a 8 servers each running 1 terabyte RAID arrays - does anyone know if it's possible to use RAID across all 8 servers in a highly parallelised way?  I don't know anything about RAID, really, so I'm all ears.

Offline Scuddie

• gb2/b/
  • I will never leave.
Re: Advice on RAID servers
RAID is done thru the hardware layer, not the software layer.  If you simply have two disks without a RAID controller, or have a RAID controller without any configuration, then you just simply have two disks.

As for the idea of paralleled RAID, there is not a very likely method for doing so without spending huge bucks for special RAID controllers.  Sure you can have one RAID be on each machine, but what you're thinking of is probably best used for the Linux version of Active Directory indexing.  I don't know much of that nature, but I bet Maeg does.
Bunny stole my signature :(.

Sorry boobies.

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
RAID is done thru the hardware layer, not the software layer.  If you simply have two disks without a RAID controller, or have a RAID controller without any configuration, then you just simply have two disks.

Are you telling me Windows can do software RAID (admittedly not brilliantly) but Linux can't?
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline Scuddie

• gb2/b/
  • I will never leave.
There's alot of things Linux can't do (yet), and software RAID is one of them.  Probably because software RAID can't be done, period.  That abomination that is done by pseudo-volume is not RAID.
Bunny stole my signature :(.

Sorry boobies.

Your info is wrong. Linux can do software RAID. I've currently got systems running Debian and Gentoo and I know both provide software RAID capabilities, although I don't use them.

Software RAID is a bit of a joke though. If you can't afford to do it properly (with a hardware RAID controller) then don't do it at all. Expect to pay upwards of £150 for a decent SATA RAID 5 card.
'And anyway, I agree - no sig images means more post, less pictures. It's annoying to sit through 40 different sigs telling about how cool, deadly, or assassin like a person is.' --Unknown Target

"You know what they say about the simplest solution."
"Bill Gates avoids it at every possible opportunity?"
-- Nuke and Colonol Drekker