Author Topic: Post-server move issues  (Read 24725 times)

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
Re: Post-server move issues
Naturally.  It's not very hard, it just requires a little bit of effort - as you said, tracking down posts and possibly editing them together in an easy-to-understand way.

Karajorma has asked the project heads to contribute descriptions for their projects.  Some have responded; some have not yet responded.  We'll probably make another round of requests soon.

But again, we need help generating content, whether it's content from scratch or content that's already on the forum but needs editing together in a form suitable for the main page.  Are you interested?

Sure, I've got time :)

How much I can do depends on how long the articles should be and how heavily they have to be edit. Also English isn't my first languange, so it needs to be checked, anyway.

Also, I'm rather good at writing, not HTML or so...
« Last Edit: April 21, 2018, 08:13:25 pm by Nightmare »

Offline PIe

• GTVA POLICE
    • freespace3.com
The link to the hosted projects Mantis should be https://mantis.hard-light.net or https://www.hard-light.net/mantis/ should redirect there.
[6:23 PM] PIe: why do I have the feeling that I shouldn't be able to give orders to 22nd armored hq
[6:24 PM] Axem: 22nd armored hq, i order you to get me a cup of coffee
[6:24 PM] PIe: and donuts
[6:24 PM] PIe: BECAUSE THIS IS THE GTVA POLICE
[6:25 PM] Axem: :O
[6:25 PM] Axem: am i under arrest
[6:26 PM] [`_`]/: no, just please step out of the myrmidon
[6:26 PM] [`_`]/: you have so much to fred for

[9:50 PM] Sottises: wait did you do vassago's verge?
[9:50 PM] Sottises: .. dirge?
[9:50 PM] Axem: yes
[9:50 PM] Sottises: ohh
[9:50 PM] Sottises: well I have that and JAD too
[9:50 PM] Axem: :)
[9:50 PM] Sottises: what a contrast of themes lmao
[9:50 PM] Axem: isnt it
[9:51 PM] Axem: super grimdark thriller about unknowable alien intelligence and over the top colorful action about friendship
[9:51 PM] PIe: jad is grimdark???
[9:51 PM] Axem: :skull:

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
The link to the hosted projects Mantis should be https://mantis.hard-light.net or https://www.hard-light.net/mantis/ should redirect there.

I'll change the link.  Redirects were put in place a while ago, but they were temporarily disabled because rev_posix was investigating some problems on the server.

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
Sure, I've got time :)

How much I can do depends on how long the articles should be and how heavily they have to be edit. Also English isn't my first languange, so it needs to be checked, anyway.

Also, I'm rather good at writing, not HTML or so...

That's fine. :)  Just post or PM the text you want to include, and we'll do the rest.

For starters, take a look at the top of the front page, where it says "THE GAME", "WHO WE ARE", and "GET INVOLVED".  See what you can come up with for those pages.

Anything become of this?

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
I got backed up with other tasks, sorry.  It's still on the front burner.  You should see movement soon. :)

The top navbar still contains dead links. Particular annoying is the BTA one which links to a spam website on my end.

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
Thanks.  I've updated and rearranged the Hosted Projects dropdown.

Offline mjn.mixael

• Cutscene Master
  • Chopped liver
    • Steam
    • Twitter
So the main page is somewhat lacking...

The Game page is very, very bland. Not even a single picture is on the page.
Who We Are is very, very short.
Get Involved goes to a 404.
News has really outdated news about a server switch that happened almost a year ago.
The Get Started button goes to a placeholder page.
Download Now should probably link to Knossos. Along with the Installer/Installation Guide just below.
Cutscene Upgrade Project - Mainhall Remakes - Between the Ashes
Youtube Channel - P3D Model Box
Between the Ashes is looking for committed testers, PM me for details.
Freespace Upgrade Project See what's happening.

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
One of the things the admins don't really do very well is generate interesting blurbs to read.  (Except for Axem, but he can't be everywhere.)  We can update links and fix pages, but filling them with content is where we fall down.  That's why Sandwich has often said that he really wants the community to chip in and generate interesting content.

So, can anyone come up with fun stuff to post?  It's fairly easy to change, and we can always edit it later if we need to.

In fact, Nightmare sent me a draft of the Getting Involved page awhile back which I still haven't put up on the site.  I'll do that tomorrow.

Offline PIe

• GTVA POLICE
    • freespace3.com
The last item in the highlights scroll is clipped in Firefox.  See attachment.
The clock is half an hour ahead.
The highlights really, really need to be synced to the forum highlights or at the very least changed to something more recent like the Inferno and MVPs releases.
Edit:  The Who We Are page could include bits about TCs like Diaspora, TBP, WCS.

[attachment stolen by Russian hackers]
« Last Edit: August 23, 2018, 05:21:19 am by PIe »
[6:23 PM] PIe: why do I have the feeling that I shouldn't be able to give orders to 22nd armored hq
[6:24 PM] Axem: 22nd armored hq, i order you to get me a cup of coffee
[6:24 PM] PIe: and donuts
[6:24 PM] PIe: BECAUSE THIS IS THE GTVA POLICE
[6:25 PM] Axem: :O
[6:25 PM] Axem: am i under arrest
[6:26 PM] [`_`]/: no, just please step out of the myrmidon
[6:26 PM] [`_`]/: you have so much to fred for

[9:50 PM] Sottises: wait did you do vassago's verge?
[9:50 PM] Sottises: .. dirge?
[9:50 PM] Axem: yes
[9:50 PM] Sottises: ohh
[9:50 PM] Sottises: well I have that and JAD too
[9:50 PM] Axem: :)
[9:50 PM] Sottises: what a contrast of themes lmao
[9:50 PM] Axem: isnt it
[9:51 PM] Axem: super grimdark thriller about unknowable alien intelligence and over the top colorful action about friendship
[9:51 PM] PIe: jad is grimdark???
[9:51 PM] Axem: :skull:

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
I think we also desperately need a big ol' link to the forums.  The only way a newbie would know they existed is if they bothered to check through the drop-down menus.

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
  • It's prounounced jayartoo 0x6A7232
    • Steam
I think we also desperately need a big ol' link to the forums.  The only way a newbie would know they existed is if they bothered to check through the drop-down menus.

That and wiki-style fast editing for selected community members, would probably do a lot of good.

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
This is good, we might have critical mass now to get some community content. :)  I did some editing this evening on the main page, and I'm in touch with Sandwich on some things (such as the highlights, and a few hurdles I ran into) that are currently in progress.

Syncing the highlights with the forum is going to be a bit complicated, code-wise, but for the HLP moderators it should be simpler.  The process will switch to posting a highlight on the front page using Craft, rather than posting a thread in the forum.

If anyone who is a HLP moderator would like the ability to post highlights on the front page, let me know and I'll set you up with an account.  Extra points if you want to copy some of the highlights from the Highlights forum to the front page.

2 things on the main site:
-Why is there an Ancient ships pic to celebrate the release of a campaign without any ancients (SAH)?
-The order of entries seems a bit messed up; I think the "Unleash your inner starfighter pilot" thing should be always on top, currently it's MVPs - FS advertisement - S:AH, which is neither chronological nor importance wise sorted.

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
  • It's prounounced jayartoo 0x6A7232
    • Steam
2 things on the main site:
-Why is there an Ancient ships pic to celebrate the release of a campaign without any ancients (SAH)?

1) That's my bad
2) I think it's cause they're both sickied

EDIT: Fixed.  MVPs is no longer stickied, however (no way around it that I can see).
« Last Edit: November 08, 2018, 09:39:42 pm by jr2 »

Again, 2 things:
-Could FSMods be added to the top nav bar again? Without the link in the "news" (which has been up for long enough now) it's much harder to find the site.
-QuckLinks is visible even when I'm not logged-in.

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
Again, 2 things:
-Could FSMods be added to the top nav bar again? Without the link in the "news" (which has been up for long enough now) it's much harder to find the site.

Re-enabled, thanks for the reminder.

-QuckLinks is visible even when I'm not logged-in.

That I don't think can be fixed.  The top nav bar links are not tied to the forum login.

What's the purpose of Quick Links, anyway? If you log-in normally, you would see them directly at the top of the page anyway. The only reasonable thing would be that you hit them while not being logged-in, and get redirected immediatly once you entered username and password.