Hosted Projects - Non-FreeSpace > MechCommander OmniTech

How to add mechs to MCO

<< < (2/6) > >>

Ma.Din:

--- Quote from: magic on January 21, 2015, 07:29:06 am ---pm me and I will send you mech skeleton file in max...

--- End quote ---

Done.

Do the models use the same skeleton, 'cos in my exports, it appeared they're different. Also, is there a naming scheme for mech parts that I need to follow?

magic:
It depends on which model animation you want to use.

For Catapult you will use existing catapult animation and your naming scheme must match the one from catapult.ase.

Unless you want to make your own animation.
In that case you may use any naming scheme but you will have to make all animation files.

Ma.Din:

--- Quote from: magic on January 22, 2015, 02:42:25 am ---It depends on which model animation you want to use.

For Catapult you will use existing catapult animation and your naming scheme must match the one from catapult.ase.
--- End quote ---

Okay. I've got you. Basically, I make the naming scheme the same and move the helper objects into position to match the mech model.  Then, I do a link constrain to the helper object to the model piece. (It's been ages since I messed with Max. In fact, the last time I did, MC2 was new and on the shelves.)

--- Quote ---Unless you want to make your own animation.
In that case you may use any naming scheme but you will have to make all animation files.

--- End quote ---

Are the helpers actual polygon pieces? When I load up the ASE files in Max 7 to export them to FBX, so I can use them in Max 2012 the FBX will give me the equivalent in Maya, which are locators, but your Max file doesn't export the helpers. I guess what I am asking is what exactly ARE, in Max terms, the helpers so I can see if they'll import to Maya the same way.

Also, on the subject of mechs. I noticed that you have Elemental and Salamander "mechs." I wanted to make jump infantry, so would it be feasible for me to create infantry that could jump, using the same system? I am guessing I'd have to put at least 1 point in internal structure in each area to get it to work, but is this possible within the limits of the game engine? This is also interesting, 'cos if that's the case we could possibly create protomechs? ;)

Also, what's the limit for mechs and vehicles in the buildings.csv? I have a couple of vehicles I need to texture, that I would like to put in the game and I have a few more T Poses of the Unseen mechs from Mechwarrior Online.

magic:

--- Quote from: Ma.Din on January 22, 2015, 03:10:36 pm ---Okay. I've got you. Basically, I make the naming scheme the same and move the helper objects into position to match the mech model.  Then, I do a link constrain to the helper object to the model piece. (It's been ages since I messed with Max. In fact, the last time I did, MC2 was new and on the shelves.)

--- End quote ---

Correct.

--- Quote ---Are the helpers actual polygon pieces? When I load up the ASE files in Max 7 to export them to FBX, so I can use them in Max 2012 the FBX will give me the equivalent in Maya, which are locators, but your Max file doesn't export the helpers. I guess what I am asking is what exactly ARE, in Max terms, the helpers so I can see if they'll import to Maya the same way.

--- End quote ---

How do you load ASE files to max 7?

--- Quote ---Also, on the subject of mechs. I noticed that you have Elemental and Salamander "mechs." I wanted to make jump infantry, so would it be feasible for me to create infantry that could jump, using the same system? I am guessing I'd have to put at least 1 point in internal structure in each area to get it to work, but is this possible within the limits of the game engine? This is also interesting, 'cos if that's the case we could possibly create protomechs? ;)

--- End quote ---

It must be at least 1 point, for internal structure and for armor.

--- Quote ---Also, what's the limit for mechs and vehicles in the buildings.csv? I have a couple of vehicles I need to texture, that I would like to put in the game and I have a few more T Poses of the Unseen mechs from Mechwarrior Online.

--- End quote ---

Dont worry about that, the number of objects can be doubled.

I did redesign for half of the stock MC2 mechs, do you have any of those redesigned beside Catapult.

Ma.Din:

--- Quote from: magic on January 23, 2015, 02:48:51 am ---
--- Quote from: Ma.Din on January 22, 2015, 03:10:36 pm ---Okay. I've got you. Basically, I make the naming scheme the same and move the helper objects into position to match the mech model.  Then, I do a link constrain to the helper object to the model piece. (It's been ages since I messed with Max. In fact, the last time I did, MC2 was new and on the shelves.)

--- End quote ---

Correct.
--- End quote ---

Okay. Now do we have to link chain multiple objects? When I pulled them into Maya, a lot of the helpers are actually linked to the Center Torso piece. It was a bit confusing. I may just link every in Max, since I haven't successfully exported a working ASE with Maya.

--- Quote ---
How do you load ASE files to max 7?
--- End quote ---

Max 7 is the last version to officially support ASE importing. The Max 6 ASE import plugin works with 7. I have it, along with the dll files you need to get it to run on Win 7. The caveat is Max7 won't close in Win 7. You have to manually close it through the Task Manager. It doesn't lock up or crash the machine. It just won't close the app, using the "x" button or the exit command. If you Virtual Box an XP machine, it's okay.

--- Quote ---

It must be at least 1 point, for internal structure and for armor.
--- End quote ---

Okay, I got it but  does that mean 1 point of armor and IS or one point PER location? Since the Vehicle FIT files can't use jump jets, that's the only way to create Jump Infantry, correct?

--- Quote ---
Dont worry about that, the number of objects can be doubled.

I did redesign for half of the stock MC2 mechs, do you have any of those redesigned beside Catapult.

--- End quote ---

The only things I have right now is the Catapult and a few 3025 vehicles, none of which are textured. I also have the old models I repaired of Karl's, for the Beagle and ECM, but those are fully textured, I believe. I did, however, strip all the models from Mechcommander Online. I have to piece all the parts together, to combine a mech, then render T Poses for each model. Basically, any model in MCO, I can make a low poly version of for Omni.  I wanted to recreate a lot of the ones during the early Succession Wars. Evidently, I made FIT files for ALL the Vehicles from the Technical Readouts a few years back that I didn't know I still had. I thought I lost all this stuff, when my computer died 2 years ago. I haven't been around, 'cos I had a kid. ;)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version