Author Topic: Blitzkrieg: attack is the only defense  (Read 5385 times)

Blitzkrieg: attack is the only defense
ok, im not afraid to admit it. i've stopped posting for a while because of an awesome game called blitzkrieg. has anyone else played it?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blitzkrieg_%28computer_game%29
Sig nuked! New one coming soon!

Offline achtung

• Friendly Neighborhood Mirror Guy
  • ****in' Ace
    • Minecraft
    • Freespacemods.net
Re: Blitzkrieg: attack is the only defense
It has starforce, so I'm never going to.
FreeSpaceMods.net | FatHax | ??????
In the wise words of Charles de Gaulle, "China is a big country, inhabited by many Chinese."

Formerly known as Swantz

Offline Snail

• SC 5
It has StarForce and you parents let you install it? :wtf:

You really got to get your priorities right.

Offline Desert Tyrant

• Meh.
So?

Offline Snail

• SC 5
Quote from: Wikipedia on Starforce
On January 30, 2006, Boing Boing, a popular weblog, labeled StarForce as malware, alleging several problems associated with the protection system, including disk drive performance degradation, weakening of operating system security and stability.[9]

A day later on January 31, 2006 Boing Boing received an email from StarForce, threatening legal action and stating that the article was "full of insults, lies, false accusations and rumors".[10] CNET also ran a similar story, and has received similar email.[11] However, Protection Technologies has never proven these claims are false.

It is considered by many to be malware, due to it frequently resulting in degradation of IDE speed, resulting in a number of CD or DVD drives failing completely.[12]

StarForce (all version known until August 2006) creates a real security problem when installed. The access control list of the drivers are set such that any user, including those without administrative rights, are allowed to change the association with the executable. Exploitation is simple: The user changes it to point at any arbitrarily chosen executable, which is executed with full system privileges on next reboot. This can be verified with the security tool "srvcheck2", which detects such potentially insecure driver configurations.

On March 5, 2006, a StarForce employee posted a link to an unauthorised download source of Galactic Civilizations 2, a game developed by StarDock which does not use mandatory copy protection.[13] StarForce later issued an apology for this act after it received a great deal of attention on the Internet.[14]

On March 24, 2006, Christopher Spence filed a class complaint on behalf of himself and other gamers against Ubisoft.[15] As a result of that complaint, Ubisoft dropped StarForce.[16]

Also in March 2006, the hacker group RELOADED completely reverse-engineered StarForce 3.0, releasing a vast array of documentation about how StarForce works in the system and unveiling how clumsily several procedures were implemented by StarForce, such as emulated virtual machine functions and opcodes.[17]

Offline Nuke

• Ka-Boom!
  • Mutants Worship Me
i must also add that starforce copy protection doesnt work worth a damn, i wont tell you how i know, but you could probibly figure that out.
I can no longer sit back and allow communist infiltration, communist indoctrination, communist subversion, and the international communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids.

Nuke's Scripting SVN

.............. so, what's starforce?

i had a little trouble with it, my computer needed a patch. but that was all.

Offline achtung

• Friendly Neighborhood Mirror Guy
  • ****in' Ace
    • Minecraft
    • Freespacemods.net
Did you even read what Snail posted?
FreeSpaceMods.net | FatHax | ??????
In the wise words of Charles de Gaulle, "China is a big country, inhabited by many Chinese."

Formerly known as Swantz

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
  • It's prounounced jayartoo 0x6A7232
    • Steam
Just google yourself a way to rip StarForce out.  ;)  Then torrent yourself a version with no protection.  I can't see how they'd bother you, as you are the legal owner of the program.

Did you even read what Snail posted?

oooooooooooooh................. srry snail. but i dont have any problems with it, and i dont see why anyone would have a problem with it.

p.s. to any of you that do get it, the install will say about 70mins remaining, for some reason it adds an extra digit. it only take 15 mins max on a good computer, and thats because of a awesome map creator program.......... but you need LUA to make any serious missions.......... (again, [V] are my hereos, no stinking programs to dowload for FRED)

Offline Trivial Psychic

• Snoop Junkie
ok, im not afraid to admit it. i've stopped posting for a while because of an awesome game called blitzkrieg. has anyone else played it?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blitzkrieg_%28computer_game%29
:bump:
I myself discovered this game earlier this year, and my HLP attendance fell off sharply.  I couldn't stop playing the game and was almost late for work sometimes.  I was so addicted that I even forced myself to give it up for Lent this year.  That said, even though I wasn't playing it, I was still addicted and spent alot of time reading up on the various vehicles and weapons used in the game, which took up the period of lent quite well.  Only recently, after completing all 3 campaigns included and part way through replaying them, have I returned to lurking here, and now posting.

I found the game in the discount games bin at my local Wal-Mart for $8.77 (can.).  While I am slowly returning to FS, there is a threat on the horizon.  There are in fact several stand-alone expansion games for the first Blitzkrieg, as well as a Blitzkrieg2 with its own small pool of expansions.  Fortunately for my HLP attendance, they are hard to find, but Blitzkrieg has its own moding community which rivals FS in size.

http://www.blitzkrieg-portal.co.uk/

The Trivial Psychic Strikes Again!

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
  • It's prounounced jayartoo 0x6A7232
    • Steam
Ooo... I'll have to check this out.  :)