Author Topic: NEWS : Our second Alphabuild Release, Vers. 0.66  (Read 15165 times)

Offline Arcalane

• Wait, I'm supposed to use evasive maneuvers?
    • Wyrdysm Games Forums
Re: NEWS : Our second Alphabuild Release, Vers. 0.66
The problem with Swarms in MC1/MC2 is that explosions don't have to roll hit or miss. Either you're in the blast radius or you aren't. That blast radius might not be that big, but apart from the vehicles (which die easy), the Swarms are usually in the hands of very good mech pilots. Succeeding the roll to hit means the missiles will chase you and land at your feet no matter what you do or what kind of evasive action you take... or at least that's the gist of the system, given that I've seen unguided, non-self-propelled projectiles home in on moving targets. Both legs, as a result, take an absolutely ridiculous amount of damage.

A full LRM volley from a Catapult to the leg(s) of a mech probably won't do all that much damage... but a full Swarm LRM volley from a Catapult can instakill a light and cripple a medium even on the lowest difficulty. Even heavies will feel the hard hit.

If possible, and if not done already, Swarm LRM damage and blasts in general should have their damage distributed randomly or evenly across the target, instead of all going to the legs.

Take in mind this is just based off casual observation and somewhat fuzzy memory though.
Don't think, Mechwarrior. Find out.

Offline Patriot

Hmm, i just had an idea.

Why is it that we do not have the Light and Heavy PPC's?

Hmm, i just had an idea.

Why is it that we do not have the Light and Heavy PPC's?

Because this is an alpha release :P. To be honest, I never heard of Light and Heavy PPC's untill Mektek's Mekpak.

Offline Starman01

• Mechwarrior
    • Wing Commander Saga
Is it even canon ? I'm not really sure about all the new stuff in the mektek packs. Last thing I want to see, is the finally recovered hidden project from starleague from the über-atlas that weight 200 tons, carry 4 LRM 80's, 12 Gauss Canon, a nuke launcher and that can make coffee if you install the special housewife software. No sir, i don't want :)
MECHCOMMANDER OMNITECH

9 out of 10 voices in my head always tell me that I'm not insane. The 10th is only humming the melody of TETRIS.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
Light and Heavy PPCs are canon, as are plasma cannons and plasma rifles, PPC capacitors, and a bunch of other crazy stuff (ATMs, so on).

A lot of that stuff is Jihad-era, IIRC, and the less of that the better.

Offline Timerlane

• Overseer of Slag Determination
Almost all of them are IS weapons, though. Mektek invented their Light PPC and Plasma Cannon before the CBT developers created their canon namesakes, and they're very different animals.

All things considered, I don't think the canon Light PPC would add much to this style of game(it's effectively a heavier, extra-ER(18 hexes) Medium Laser, but would still only qualify as a "medium range" weapon, just like the standard PPC and ER Medium Laser already are). The Heavy PPC would probably be a copy of the Clan ERPPC, but only go out to medium range.

The IS Plasma Rifle is just an AC10 that creates 10 heat per shot, and inflicts extra heat(or damage instead, against vehicles/infanty). The Clan Plasma Cannon inflicts only heat vs Mechs, and damage to vehicles/infantry.

ATMs would be hard to represent, unless you wanted to create omni-range "LRMs" that do more damage as you get closer to the target, when fired. Anything else(separate weapons for each ammo type) could already be fairly mimicked with separate LRM/MRM/SRM racks. Similar issue with IS MMLs.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2011, 04:57:38 pm by Timerlane »

Offline Scotty

• 1.21 gigawatts!
  • Guns, guns, guns.
Plasma Rifle does 10 damage, too.  Your wording was unclear on that.

Offline magic

Timerlane,

are your MCO carver V purchase files fully tested?

I can add them to the next MCO release?

I do have some questions on how it handles captured weapons facilities. Those pulse lasers I last captured aren't showing up anywhere.

Hmm. The pulse lasers do show up as available for purchase the mission afterwards (Night ops)

Offline Timerlane

Timerlane,

are your MCO carver V purchase files fully tested?

I can add them to the next MCO release?
No, but OTOH, assuming the new logistics system isn't going to be ready by then, I would also want to go over/through and make multiple copies of 'Mechs available, just like the components(though probably only a couple of each), and also make the components a little more straightforwardly organized(for the sake of more easily adding/checking things). AFAIK, this was just supposed to be a quick-and-dirty fix to make the current purchase system a bit more livable until the new system was ready.

I do have some questions on how it handles captured weapons facilities. Those pulse lasers I last captured aren't showing up anywhere.
With the exceptions of the Clan Energy weapons/Swarm LRMs, Long Toms and Thunderbolts, nothing special, per se, actually happens. For those exceptions, the appropriate purbonus*.fit file(11, 19, and 21) should also be loaded for every mission thereafter, along with the individual mission's purchase file. (I don't quite know why the original designers did the Clan E-weapons and Swarm LRMs that way, as you can't pass the mission without capturing both of the weapon facilities, and therefore the 'conditionality' of the purbonus file is being 'wasted'.)

Everything else is just placed directly into all future mission's shops by default; it'd be nicer in some ways if the weapon facilities were all handled by purbonus files, as that would mean far shorter lists in each mission(the final mission's part list is over 180 units).
« Last Edit: June 02, 2011, 09:54:32 am by Timerlane »

Offline magic

Timerlane,

The work on new logistics is much more complicated then anticipated.

Since I am the only programer on the project I dont think I can make it to the end of this year.

Anything you can do to improve current purchasing system for carver V campaign is most welcome.

Offline Timerlane

Well, here's my second 'Beta' set of purchase files for Carver 5. Again, not thoroughly tested, but I don't believe there should be any major faults, due to the reorganization, and if there are, it should be far easier to catch/fix.

Features:
Two of each 'Mech for purchase.
Not so much a big deal for the user, but I reorganized the initial items in order of their general appearance in the shop, then simply added the new items as they're added, on the end. Much simpler to work with, and much less prone to simple typing mistakes, as after the first three missions, every mission's shop list is essentially just a partial copy of the final mission's shop list(same numbering, just less items chopped off at the end as you go along).

Also includes a slightly edited 'Carver5.fit' campaign file to enable Mech/Component purchasing on Mission 4, for those who don't want to poke through and flip that TRUE/FALSE variable(as discussed elsewhere).

Installing:
Put everything in the ZIP, except the 'backup' and 'campaign' folders, in the 'MechCommanderOmnitech\data\missions' folder.

If you haven't altered your 'Carver5.fit' file to enable purchasing on Mission 4, you may wish to copy that from the ZIP's 'campaign' folder to your 'MechCommanderOmnitech\data\campaign' folder, but this is not required for anything else to work(you just won't be able to buy things during Mission 4).

All original files are still included in the 'backup' folder.

Troubleshooting:
If the new components don't seem to appear, you can "refresh" the shop by backing out to the screen you see just before the mission briefing, then go back and check the component shop.

If the second set of 'Mechs doesn't appear(pick one):
A. Play through the current mission, and the 'Mech Purchasing should start working again after.

B. Restart the campaign.

C. Remove/delete the 'mechpurchase.fit' file from your 'MechCommanderOmnitech\data\missions' folder, and reload your saved game. Delete just that one file, by that exact name.
This is generated by the game automatically, so there's no harm in removing it. It contains a copy of the 'Mechs currently in the Mech Purchase area, and if there's a conflict between what the mission purchase files say, and what that file says, the game chooses to go with the 'mechpurchase.fit' file.

C is the 'best' option, but as it involves deleting a file from amongst other important files, you do this at your own risk.

[attachment deleted by ninja]

Offline magic

Timerlane,

Got it, thank you.