Author Topic: Halo trailer with real actors and directed by Neil Blomkamp  (Read 3334 times)

Offline Prophet

• The know-it-all
Halo trailer with real actors and directed by Neil Blomkamp
I thought this deserves a thread of its own. Yep, directed by Neil Blomkamp, the chap who was supposed to direct the Halo movie. Real actors and stuff. Though the action happens in a strange concrete arena, it's still pretty cool...

Watch on Discovery's site:
http://dsc.discovery.com/tv/last-one-standing/halo-sweeps/halo-sweeps.html
I'm not saying anything. I did not say anything then and I'm not saying anything now. -Dukath
I am not breaking radio silence just cos' you lot got spooked by a dead flying ****ing cow. -Sergeant Harry Wells/Dog Soldiers

Prophet is walking in the deep dark places of the earth...

Offline Herra Tohtori

• The Academic
  • Bad command or file name
Re: Halo trailer with real actors and directed by Neil Blomkamp
That... looked pretty awesome. :yes:

I'm starting to think they should've let them do the movie.
There are three things that last forever: Abort, Retry, Fail - and the greatest of these is Fail.

Offline Prophet

• The know-it-all
I'm starting to think they should've let them do the movie.
I doubt it would have been great. But I would have enjoyed it.

That's the problem with these big profile movies. If it's not great but only frigging good or even, god forbid, just good, it's a failure. People, all people, should understand that a good movie is good, and thus a huge success.
I'm not saying anything. I did not say anything then and I'm not saying anything now. -Dukath
I am not breaking radio silence just cos' you lot got spooked by a dead flying ****ing cow. -Sergeant Harry Wells/Dog Soldiers

Offline WeatherOp

• I forged the ban hammer. What about that?
    • http://www.geocities.com/weather_op/pageone.html?1113100476773
Looked far more interesting than the game.
Decent Blacksmith, Master procrastinator.

PHD in the field of Almost Finishing Projects.

Offline Inquisitor

So what is this then, Last One Standing looks like a reality show...
No signature.

Offline Ghostavo

• Let it be glue!
    • Twitter
It reminded me of Space: Above and Beyond. Which is a good thing.
"Closing the Box" - a campaign in the making :nervous:

Shrike is a dirty dirty admin, he's the destroyer of souls... oh god, let it be glue...

Offline Prophet

• The know-it-all
So what is this then, Last One Standing looks like a reality show...
Reality show about fighting Brutes and dodging Banshees? I have certain rules about reality shows, but I would so watch that one. :cool:

Anyway. AFAIK this is only an advertisement of Halo 3.

Offline Deepblue

• Corporate Shill
This short ties directly into the beginning of the game.

Offline Mefustae

• Chevron locked...
What's the deal with that, anyway? I mean, did he just sorta fall off that Forerunner ship? He obviously rode down on a door, but why did he leave the ship?

Offline Flipside

• əp!sd!l£
Looks good, but I can't help thinking that movie-makers,when working with Video Games, need to think more about the story behind the game than making everything looks like it's from the game.

I'm not a big fan of Halo, being a PC owner, but I do know it has much more of a story than simply 'Master Chief', whilst he can't help but be the main character, the very name 'Halo' is about the nature of the planet the first game took place on, it's about the Covenant War and The Flood, Master Chief is just the character it focuses on in many ways, the only reason he's super-powerful is because, from a design point of view, it would make the game unplayable if he wasn't.

Things like Doom, for example, would have been a lot better if the film had forgotten completely that it was a Video Game first, what destroyed it was its 'Video-gameness'.

Offline Deepblue

• Corporate Shill
What's the deal with that, anyway? I mean, did he just sorta fall off that Forerunner ship? He obviously rode down on a door, but why did he leave the ship?

It's explained a little more in the comic series, but I wouldn't recommend getting it. You can look up the plot summary instead.

Offline Prophet

• The know-it-all
Things like Doom, for example, would have been a lot better if the film had forgotten completely that it was a Video Game first, what destroyed it was its 'Video-gameness'.
What destroyed Doom was the royally ****ed up plot. If anything, they should have taken more elements from the games.

And master Chief isn't "super" powerful. Covenant Elites and Brutes are pretty much equally though. The Chief has human intelligence and the plot on his side, but he dies by the grenade just like anyone else. Gordon Freeman is "super" thought. He wears a frigging utility suit and still he's the toughest thing in this dimension and the next one (in his own universe of course).

Anyway. It's not easy to bend a game plot in to a movie. Seeing as the plot in games is usually just to give a reason for killing. And in games, the plot is generally advanced by killing. But people expect more from movies. I of course would enjoy watching a marine slaughter aliens for two hours without boring character development and kissing scenes, but that's just me. The movies usually go too far from the game to be familiar to the gamers, or just can't decided what to be and end up being just confusing. Never have I seen a movie that is too much like the game, and I don't know what that would be like.

Offline Ransom

• M. Night Russel
  • It will not wait.
    • Rate of Injury
What destroyed Doom was the royally ****ed up plot. If anything, they should have taken more elements from the games.
The movie made a lot of terrible decisions, but it also made some good ones. Well, one. Frankly I think the decision to make Hell metaphorical rather than literal was kind of neat.

Anyway. It's not easy to bend a game plot in to a movie. Seeing as the plot in games is usually just to give a reason for killing.
Which is why mindless action games shouldn't be adapted. But I don't agree with your 'usually' - there's plenty of games that have respect for good storytelling and would lend themselves fine to a movie adaptation.

Offline Prophet

• The know-it-all
Which is why mindless action games shouldn't be adapted. But I don't agree with your 'usually' - there's plenty of games that have respect for good storytelling and would lend themselves fine to a movie adaptation.
But do those good games get adapted? Do they even get any attention outside gamers? No. "Mindless action games" are advertized and get media attention. And are supported by mindless console junkies.

It was a bad choice of words in my previous post. Yes there are plenty of good games with good plots and innovative gameplay and so on. You know as well as I why they aren't turned in to movies. Or are turned in to bad movies.

Offline Flipside

• əp!sd!l£
@Prophet,

Well, I'm not that hot on the Halo series, so I'll accept your explanation there, and I'll agree that in both Halo and Doom, the plot of the game is purely a device to let you shoot things, however, the story itself is not, there were Cutscenes in Doom 3 that had some nice meat for the plotline, I actually thought that Dr Who did a pretty good story that was losely based around Doom.

Offline IceFire

• GTVI Section 3
    • http://www.3dap.com/hlp/hosted/ce
I know the episode you're talking about Flipside...I think Dr Who seems to manage to take any sort of cheesy sci-fi plot and make it fun and give some sort of meaning at the end of the day.  They almost always manage to do that. Definitely enjoy that shows quirkiness compared to mainstream sci-fi (although it is sort of mainstream but I guess not in the North American Hollywoodized sense).

As for Halo...may be a mindless shooter but the writers for the game have a pretty significant story and plot going on for the people who don't skip cutscenes.  I found all of that to be really interesting actually. Number one reason for buying and playing the Halo games aside from the fun gameplay (I like different games for different reasons and sometimes I just don't want to think too hard). 

For that reason, Halo makes a much better movie candidate than Doom but I do agree with the posts above...don't make it a movie about a video game.  Make it a movie based on the storyline of the video game.  Everyone "gets" that its based on a video game and theres no need to be stupid about it.
- IceFire
BlackWater Ops, Cold Element
"Burn the land, boil the sea, you can't take the sky from me..."

Offline Hades

• FINISHING MODELS IS OVERRATED
  • i wonder when my polycounts will exceed my iq
A Halo movie?
I'm buying it. :P
[22:29] <sigtau> Hello, #hard-light?  I'm trying to tell a girl she looks really good for someone who doesn't exercise.  How do I word that non-offensively?
[22:29] <RangerKarl|AtWork> "you look like a big tasty muffin"
----
<batwota> wouldn’t that mean that it’s prepared to kiss your ass if you flank it :p
<batwota> wow
<batwota> KILL

Offline achtung

• Friendly Neighborhood Mirror Guy
  • ****in' Ace
    • Minecraft
    • Freespacemods.net
Who knows?  Maybe their testing out some stuff with these live action shorts.  :p
FreeSpaceMods.net | FatHax | ??????
In the wise words of Charles de Gaulle, "China is a big country, inhabited by many Chinese."

Formerly known as Swantz

Offline miskat

Bungie?  Yeah, Halo has a decent story, you just have to go a little out of your way to find it.  Bungie likes that.

And it's smart.  Some people don't want story, and THEY don't have to have it.  Those who do want it are going to take the time to learn it.

From what I hear, the Halo books are really good, too.

I mean, Master Chief may not be super powerful, but he is more powerful than a marine, by far.  But he payed the price for it: he lived like a less intelligent, brute force, kind of Ender-Wiggin-life.  Government decides you have the right body-type, steals you away to mars to transform you into a fighting machine at a VERY young age.

I have never played the game all the way through, but from what I hear from people who have, you can learn a LOT by paying attention and reading between the lines while playing the game.

Would that work in a movie?  Erm... not for most people.  Most people seem to like being spoon-fed plot in theaters.  Eh... anyway.

Offline Stormkeeper

• Interviewer Extraordinaire
  • Boomz!
I uh ... appropriated my friend's Xbox for Halo/ Halo 2. This week, i'm gonna ... uh. Borrow. His 360 to play Halo 3.
Ancient-Shivan War|Interview Board

Member of the Scooby Doo Fanclub. And we're not talking a cartoon dog here people!!