Author Topic: Video Capture  (Read 1688 times)

Offline Krelus

Does anyone know of a decent free video capture program, in particular one that's compatible with FS2 SCP? The XFire built-in program doesn't quite cut the mustard, and it's incompatible with FS2. And I'm too cheap to shell out $30 for FRAPS.

Offline BloodEagle

• Bleeding Paradox!
    • Steam
Camstudio is free, but it isn't very kind to machines that aren't nuclear powered.

Offline Krelus

Gah, you weren't kidding about the "nuclear powered" thing. FRAPS is suddenly not looking so bad.

Offline Backslash

• Bring Our Might To Bear
There's also Taksi... may only need a hydroelectric powered machine.  Your mileage may vary.  At least there's options...

Offline Krelus

Actually, I found an alternate solution... I haxxored into my XFire client so that it's compatible with FS2 :3 Which is awesome, since XFire's vidcap program doesn't cause much slowdown at all. I will try that second program, though!

Offline JGZinv

• The Last Dual! Guardian
    • The FringeSpace Conversion Mod
Mind sharing what hax you preformed to get it working?
True power comes not from strength, but from the soul and imagination.
Max to PCS2 to FS2 SCP Guide
The FringeSpace Conversion Mod

Offline CP5670

• Dr. Evil
  • Global Moderator
I was messing around with such programs last year and tried to make some game videos (mainly FS2 and Deus Ex), but didn't really follow up on it.

Windows Media Encoder is free and may work. I think I eventually got decent movies out of that, after spending a lot of time experimenting with the settings.

Offline Krelus

http://www.xfire.com/video/30b6e/

I made this with the XFire recorder... Now that I managed to get the sound capture to work, it seems to work well enough for my purposes. The aforementioned audio problem was the reason I was dissatisfied with XFire, and now that it's fixed I have no complaints. It even compresses and uploads the files automatically. I'll let you guys be the judges.

Offline Androgeos Exeunt

• Captain Oblivious
  • Prevents attraction.
    • Wordpress.com Blog
Fraps works pretty well on my computer.

If you want to know what Camstudio does to a computer - my family's - that has 256 MB RAM and is running a game that has very low system requirements, see this.

Compare that to this. Same computer, same game. Only this time, I used Fraps.
My blog

Quote: Tuesday, 3 October 2023 0133 UTC +8, #general
MP-Ryan
Oh you still believe in fairy tales like Santa, the Easter Bunny, and free market competition principles?