Author Topic: Anyone here play Bungie's Marathon or rather the open source Alephone?  (Read 2043 times)

Anyone here play Bungie's Marathon or rather the open source Alephone?
You may have seen the review on  PC Gamer. http://www.pcgamer.com/archives/2007/04/vintage_gaming.htmlIf you enjoyed halo you might want to take a look at this game.  Granted it was origionaly a mac game in the time of doom but it beat doom on so many levels.  Now there is a large community that have modified the souce code of the M2 engine to run all 3 games, on all 3 major platforms. (MacosX, Linux, and Windows) They also modified, extensivly, the network code to play on the internet with a metaserver used to host internet games.  Also added open gl support, and added the option to dl much higer res textures and weapons effects.  Its definatly worth taking a look at if you havent, you can dl the game itself at  source.bungie.org  Or say hi at the forums at www.pfhorums.com if you need help getting it to run. The game is really easy to mod (providing you have the ability to run the old mac OS9 apps, some use basalisk to run them on windows)  and there are many total conversions but people stick to Marithon 3 infinity for internet games, Unlessthe hoster says otherwise.
Hopefully Ill see some of you on the internet games im, herecomethej2000 (There is a good reason behind that name, Mostly Ive been playing it for so long evreyone knew me so I couldn't change it)
« Last Edit: April 27, 2007, 10:35:38 am by Darklord42 »

Offline Deepblue

• Corporate Shill
Re: Anyone here play Bungie's Marathon or rather the open source Alephone?
Oh sweet, I thought only Marathon 1 worked on the PC.

Actually the only marathon version that bungie specifically made for the pc was Marathon 2 which had a few extra goodies that the mac version didn't have.  (secret spots)  But now that doesn't mater, with alephone you can run all 3 (formally mac games) on any platform you wish because there are versions of alephone for each platform.  Its like the modified freespace 2.exe being recoded to work with the mac.

Offline DragonClaw

• Romeo Kilo India Foxtrot
I was a huge fan of the marathon series, and strictly speaking Halo is a psuedo-sequel to it. I remember how pumped I was about its release when it was announced, and then it got delayed years. I was a sad panda. The storytelling method in the marathon series was way better than in Halo though, imo.

If I have time I may just play through all 3 again. I really miss how the 'vintage' games were made... everything released nowadays is all about the graphics and multiplayer aspects, no one cares about storytelling anymore :(

Offline Deepblue

• Corporate Shill
Marathon Infinity still has the best ending of any game. Ever.

I hope Halo 3 takes a more "marathon" approach to the story.

@Dragonclaw Ither that or if you don't have much time, you can join the fast passed internet games ;)

@Deepblue yah that was a cool ending not that it made much sense as a whole. I found inf to be confusing as far as storyline was concerned. M2 was by far my favorite

Agreed, Infinity was pretty confusing, but entire series is still good.
Yoda of Borg am I! Assimilated shall you be! Futile resistance is, hmm?