Author Topic: What else needed for FS2?  (Read 1328 times)

Offline Ionizd

What else needed for FS2?
I downloaded the stand-alone version of TBP, a few threads away, and then had to download the 3.6.7. version to upgrade it. My question is, What do I need to play FS2. Can I use the engine I already have and download some data to tuck into another folder for when I feel like playing FS2 instead of B5? I like the original game and the B5 conversion, but in the interests of saving space and hassle I'd like to use many of the same files for both as possible. Any Ideas?
    Thanks!
Gigabyte GA-MA790FX-DS5//AMD Athlon 64 X2 6400+//Stock AMD CPU Cooler//Arcticsilver AS-5 Thermal Paste//2x1Gb Crucial DDR2 667 RAM @ 4-4-4-12//EAH2900XT/512M//OCZ GameXtream 750W PSU//Seagate 300Gb 7200 RPM SATA H.D.D.//Hewlett Packard DVD420i DVD+/-R/RW//Antec TX1050B Case//Windows XP home SP2

Offline Davros

afaik
you need freespace 2 not tpb
3.6.7 is not an update for tbp

tbp has all the freespace2 stuff models / missions / data
ect removed

remember fs2 fills 3 cd's so it would be a lot of stuff to try and add
easier just to get fs2

Offline Unknown Target

• Get off my lawn!
  • Push.Pull?
I'm not even sure if I understand your question...are you asking if you can delete some TBP files so that you can save space, while still running it out of the original FS2 installation?
If so, no - since TBP is standalone, I'm pretty sure most of their files have been replaced by new ones, and removal of these would cause problems.

If you don't have the original FS2 installation, and only have TBP one, you're going to have to have the original FS2 so that you can play it. You can download it off of Home of the Underdugs, or by looking into one of the Freespace forums for the full download (try General Freespace, that's where it is, IIRC).

Offline WMCoolmon

• Purveyor of space crack
Actually, yes.

Most of the interface in TBP is just Retail FS2, because there are so many files.

If you've got a fair amount of time to spare, you could go through and delete the unchanged interface files in TBP.

Almost all the other stuff for TBP will have to stay though.

*IDEA* Is any of the old code to check a CD for VPs still working?
-C

Offline Davros

I think his question is :
I have the babylon project (standalone) and i want to remove all TBP stuff so i can just play Freespace 2

Offline Nuke

• Ka-Boom!
  • Mutants Worship Me
he has tbp, he wants fs2, and he wants to save space by not having any duplicate files. as far as i know the only files tbp has that freespace would need are the exe and the interface files. those being less that 1% of the files freespace uses. with that in mind it wouldnt use much more space having freespace installed in a totally different location. it would be a huge hassel trying to save any space, and even then it would only be a few megs because tbp uses a completely different set of data than fs2 does. now you could save tbp in a mod directory and use the same exe for both, but that would only bew a negligable save of space.
I can no longer sit back and allow communist infiltration, communist indoctrination, communist subversion, and the international communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids.

Nuke's Scripting SVN

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
Running TBP as a mod does save you from having to update two sets of exes all the time though :)
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline Nuke

• Ka-Boom!
  • Mutants Worship Me
i just drop a copy of the exe in each directory. i dont know how tbp's tables are set up, if its all modular installing it as a mod could cause unforseeable problems. it should work in theory but in practice its more or less unpredictable.
I can no longer sit back and allow communist infiltration, communist indoctrination, communist subversion, and the international communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids.

Nuke's Scripting SVN

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
Not if you've set up your FS2 folder correctly. As long as you haven't been putting things in the data folder that you shouldn't there is not much chance of that (especially if you stick all the media.vp files in their own folder and use mod.ini files like I do).

Hell if you're paranoid about things messing up there's nothing to stop you sticking all the retail VPs in a folder and running both FS2 and TBP as mods :D
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]