Author Topic: New Beam Type Request  (Read 2259 times)

New Beam Type Request
How about AAA Slash beams? (the kind that the Minbari use, best seen in the movie 'In The Beginning'). Is it just a simple change to the source code, like changing the behaviour of the slash beam type when it is fired at a fighter, to avoid mucking up the rest of the game, or is it more sinister and involved?

(prepares to be incinerated and served in a bun with lettuce and mustard)
"Once I destroyed the world with nuclear fire to clear the way for my cybernetic future. I now intend to further shape the world into my own image by surgically removing unwanted growths like yourself!"
- NEXUS, Warzone 2100

Offline Nico

• Venom
    Parlez-vous Model Magician?
that would look cool, but it would have to be very powerful to damage a fighter serously, and that kind of weapon would be terrible if a capship decides to use it on a cruiser for exemple...
SCREW CANON!

Offline IceFire

• GTVI Section 3
    • http://www.3dap.com/hlp/hosted/ce
Originally posted by venom2506
that would look cool, but it would have to be very powerful to damage a fighter serously, and that kind of weapon would be terrible if a capship decides to use it on a cruiser for exemple...

Not any more powerful than a weak Slash beam.  Look what those do to an unshielded fighter.
- IceFire
BlackWater Ops, Cold Element
"Burn the land, boil the sea, you can't take the sky from me..."

well if u notice how the cap ships fight between themselves, the AAAf beams tend to fire at the apposing capital ships, but this is usually terran and vasudan ships, i, if not ever, see the shivan aaaf beams fire at caps. almost like ST phaser fire... the beam could be made without source code modifying, but i doubt it would target the fighters due to the type of beam a slash beam is. so maybe it could do, but why have a slash fighter beam? i mean when u get hit and ur moving, u pretty much gettin slashed cause ur moving, if it had the ability to target one point of a fighter/bomber to the other, and it would hit you, i think it would really kill you off the back due to exposure to the HP ratio from point to point... rather then a burst in one spot for a moment.

Offline Nico

• Venom
    Parlez-vous Model Magician?
why? usual answer: would look cool :nod:
SCREW CANON!

Offline Knight Templar

• Stealth
  • I'm a magic man, I've got magic hands.
I kinda picture it as the beams Darkage used in his Ani for the Mjolnir beam he made.

I know DatDB would like this, and so would I :D
Copyright ©1976, 2003, KT Enterprises. All rights reserved

"I don't want to get laid right now. I want to get drunk."- Mars

Too Long, Didn't Read

Offline HotSnoJ

• Knossos Online!
    • http://josherickson.org
Originally posted by venom2506
why? usual answer: would look cool :nod:

I used that same answer for an idea I submitted. They didn't buy it.
I have big plans, now if only I could see them through.

LiberCapacitas duo quiasemper
------------------------------
Nav buoy - They mark things

But it would look cool. Anyway, slash-type beams can hit fighters if you remove the flag 'huge' from its TBL entry. They just look like a single shot from and AAA beam. It wouldn't necessarily do more damage to fighters, as you tone the damage down a bit for dedicated AAA beams. All it does is cinematic effect and it may just be a case of removing a check in the code that probably looks like this:
Code: [Select]

case (beamtype = 1)
if
(
     target != fighterclass
     beam_behaviour = slash
     else
     beam_behaviour = stab
)
endif

and replacing it with something like this:
Code: [Select]

case (beamtype = 1)
beam_behaviour = slash
"Once I destroyed the world with nuclear fire to clear the way for my cybernetic future. I now intend to further shape the world into my own image by surgically removing unwanted growths like yourself!"
- NEXUS, Warzone 2100

Offline LAW ENFORCER

• Turret Fiend
    • http://www.armouredstar.com
or it could mean sacrifising several new formers to the coders! Im down or up whatever with that
Conflict GRDLA:
Operation Return To Riker
www.ARMOUREDSTAR.com - the latest site is not finished yet!
[What we have here is the source to the Freespace ENGINE, not the Freespace GAME. By allowing the ENGINE to support all kinds of cool stuff, we're allowing the creation of all new GAMES] - TurboNed