Author Topic: What are the latest versions of FS modding tools?  (Read 901 times)

What are the latest versions of FS modding tools?
I know it sounds noobish, but its been awhile since I gave this community my ALL out effort. I started getting into this again and I'm already hitting some road blocks. The stickied thread with all the latest tools is no longer stickied. I'm still reaquainting myself with Truespace (horrid program) PCS, modelview and all the other modding tools. Summer vacation is in and I'm ready to make up for lost time.

Have there been any developments with PCS in particular, besides the groovy auto-facet version?

Whats the deal with Aurora? I've come across it in a number of threads. Is it a glorified Modelview or something different and USEFULL?

I've noticed that 3.6 has been out for awhile now. (BTW what happened to the environment map implementation?) Are there any special features that my past conversions could utilize? I've read as much as I could to catch up on latest developments and I just want to make sure that I have not missed anything.

My time killing project for now is a X-wing Alliance conversion project for personal use. I'd love to share all the work I've done for it but the folks in www.XWAupgrade.com would not appreciate me using their textures for a public mod. Gonna have to wait for Karma's project for some Lucas style fightin.

My next release will involve an UBERIZATION of the HercII. I need better reference material other than the game's low poly model. Heres What I got so far.....

I'm dropping the Intrepid class project because of all the bad reviews the textures got from the pics I've posted (which I agree with). In reguard to the Galaxy Class, Scotchy is keeping it in the down low till they perfect Bridge Commander scripting. The model is finished, and I'm not allowed to work on its conversion till BC gets first dibs.

Offline Bobboau

• Just a MODern kinda guy
    Just MODerately cool
    And MODest too
What are the latest versions of FS modding tools?
Aurora is/was a little diverson for me, it's basicly a customised pof editor built entierly to my specifications, made by me for me, I let other people use it.
it's sort of like slightly more functionality than PCS with better visual quality than modelview, unfortunately it was also my first big programming progect, and my first win32 progect, as well as my first directx project, and I didn't plan it out very well ahead of time, so it tended to be fairly buggy, and a horid peice of filth to try and work on, so after doing some inital work on trying to get a UV editor I havn't touched it ,and that was at least more than 6 months ago so it's prety much dead. it had/has a number of fairly substantial design flaws wich realy can't be over come with out totaly rebuilding the entier thing.  
if you want to play with it anyway, there is still a link in my sig. but beware, it has been known to eat whole models just for the fun of it (I implemented a backup system in Aurora though, the full name of the pof+".backup" so you'd have something like crapyship.pof.backup, it would save what ever you had every miunute or so)

there were actialy a number of incredably usefull features, such as auto-path, with the bush of a button all the monotanus path building could be done in the blink of an eye requiering only minor adjustments, and every pof data section had the ability to copy the currently selected item, so if you added a gun point and wanted one on the exact same place but on the opposite side of the ship with the click of one button and adding a '-' you'd have it.

PCS has had no updates sence auto-facet
Kaz was working on a "FS dev studio" thingy (forget the exact name) but it's been a very long time sence I've heard of any progress on this front, now that this has been brougt up, maybe it's time to reassurt  my idea for a FSO native pof editor, in the FSO project files, dependent on the same functions for loading and displaying pof data as the game, and therefore always up to date.
Bobboau, bringing you products that work... in theory
learn to use PCS
creator of the ProXimus Procedural Texture and Effect Generator
My latest build of PCS2, get it while it's hot!
PCS 2.0.3

DEUTERONOMY 22:11
Thou shalt not wear a garment of diverse sorts, [as] of woollen and linen together