Author Topic: Smoothing problem  (Read 892 times)

Offline aldo_14

• Gunnery Control
I know this isn't technically a n engine problem, but I'm unclear if it could be down to the pof format, so I'm asking here.  I'm pretty sure it's not a conversion problem, because it occurs with cob2pof and PCS....

Anyways, whenever i convert a model, only the hull object is correctly smoothed - the rest of the subobjects (including the turrets, LOD models and debris models) have a strange faceted effect.

Can someone tell me if this is due to the pof format or something else?  Because either way it has implications for  HT & L models, and I'd like to resolve it.

(NB:  feel free to move to FS modding if you think it's appropriate - I would like some input from an SCP blokey if possible, though.  Cheers)

Hmmm, interesting. I think some of those vertices aren't welded together (2 or more in the same location). Perhaps some intersecting edges? What 3d modeler are you using?

Offline Bobboau

• Just a MODern kinda guy
    Just MODerately cool
    And MODest too
don't post pictures from modelview or the like to show this.
Bobboau, bringing you products that work... in theory
learn to use PCS
creator of the ProXimus Procedural Texture and Effect Generator
My latest build of PCS2, get it while it's hot!
PCS 2.0.3

DEUTERONOMY 22:11
Thou shalt not wear a garment of diverse sorts, [as] of woollen and linen together

Offline aldo_14

• Gunnery Control
Originally posted by Omniscaper
Hmmm, interesting. I think some of those vertices aren't welded together (2 or more in the same location). Perhaps some intersecting edges? What 3d modeler are you using?

3ds max.  No changes to the model during the conversion process.  MAx does break up the model into segments for exporting to 3ds (to support multiple UV's per model) - but if this was the reason I'd expect it to also occur with the main, root object, which it doesn't.

EDIT:  also occured with the models I made in blender & textured in TS

Originally posted by Bobboau
don't post pictures from modelview or the like to show this.

I don't have anything else I can take pictures from, natch.   But I can assure you it occurs in-engine......
« Last Edit: June 10, 2004, 05:36:39 am by 181 »