Author Topic: BP: War in Heaven discussion  (Read 908065 times)

Offline Bryan See

• Has anyone really been far as decided to use even go want to do look more like?
  • Trying to redeem, but under Tiger Parents
    • Twitter
Re: BP: War in Heaven discussion
While you can make your own stories out of that as you like, I'd presume that the BP team has their own idea how these questions would be solved...
BP is a logical conclusion to the FreeSpace saga. Shattered Stars, while separate from the BP continuity, serves as the epilogue.
Bryan See - My FreeSpace Wiki User Page (Talk, Contributions)

Full Projects:
Shattered Stars

Campaigns:
Lost in the Mist - Cyrene vs. Psamtik
FreeSpace: Reunited

Ships:
GTS Hygeia, GTT Argo, SC Raguel

Tools:
FSO TC/Game template

I've been under attack by Tiger Parents like Jennifer Pan...

Nah, it isn't. What doesn't mean it wouldn't be awesome. But for example, BP split the role of the Shivans - preservers and destroyers - with the Vishnans. Also, Volition probably would never did kinda-metaphysical things like Nagari.

Offline QuakeIV

• test
I still see the whole preservers/destroyers thing as mainly alien propaganda.  They both supposedly have the same goal, the shivans are just more willing to kill everything (as of AoA anyhow, roles may have since reversed.)

Offline Mito [PL]

• Proud Member of Slavicus Mechanicus
The destroyers/preservers thingy might also be just misinformation fed to Bei the younger by the Vishnans. Who knows? To me, Shiva/Vishnu always seemed like a different kind of relation (or not being a symbol of a concept at all).
How do you kill a hydra?

You starve it to death.

The destroyers/preservers thingy might also be just misinformation fed to Bei the younger by the Vishnans. Who knows? To me, Shiva/Vishnu always seemed like a different kind of relation (or not being a symbol of a concept at all).

As in the Aspect Swarm?
Requiescat in pace

Offline Buckshee Rounds

• Lord Defecator
Started playing through WiH again, what a difference va makes! Really digging all the new assets too. I was wondering - Byrne is very conservative when it comes to deploying Durgas and other heavy firepower assets, while Calder is less so. To what extent did the Jovians smack Severanti around while he was trying to gain a foothold?

Offline rubixcube

• best username ever
To what extent did the Jovians smack Severanti around while he was trying to gain a foothold?

From what I've read in the back story, quite a bit.
Severanti was "fighting an uphill battle" for the first year of the war; trying to whittle down UEF fleet assets while taking as few losses in return. It was basically a stalemate until Steele arrived.
Stuff

Offline Buckshee Rounds

• Lord Defecator
I'm on Aristeia and I'm having problems killing the Medea's beams. I've got 6 paveways and they're giving me really mixed results. On one run I launched all 6 at one beam and got it down to 15%. On another I killed the beam with just 2 (although the Sanctus' might have helped) and this is while using afterburner and launching close to prevent them getting shot down (I tried launching from afar, but they seem to get shot down really easily). Likewise, the turret strike wing, gunship wing, bombers, basically any of the reinforcements really struggle to kill even one beam, I don't think I've seen them do it once after 7 attempts. They also struggle to bring down the Medea to anything below 80% hull if I forego the disarm or destroy subsystem order. I always wait for it to slow down after jumping too, just to eliminate that as a factor.

This is on normal and I understand the ai is much better than it was, but this seems really punishing. I've tried lobbing paveways at different angles and distances - abeam, astern, directly from the front etc. She's just unstoppable, she guts the Indus no matter what I try. I haven't used Stilettos yet so I might give it a shot. I'm hoping someone else can chime in and tell me what I'm doing wrong.

Offline Mito [PL]

Just instead of methodically attempting to disarm this ship (IIRC the one swarm missile with aspect lock is better with this since they can't be shot down), just somehow survive till you can call in the reinforcements and then just call in all the heavy bombers you can to her underside, these guys will delete the corvette in a moment's notice.
How do you kill a hydra?

You starve it to death.

Offline Aesaar

Your Paveways might be getting shot down.  They gain the bomb flag when they get close enough to their target, and the Diomedes has a TT2 right next to the beam cannons.

Also note that the dish (the glowy bit) is the turret.  The housing is considered ship hull.

Offline Buckshee Rounds

• Lord Defecator
Just instead of methodically attempting to disarm this ship (IIRC the one swarm missile with aspect lock is better with this since they can't be shot down), just somehow survive till you can call in the reinforcements and then just call in all the heavy bombers you can to her underside, these guys will delete the corvette in a moment's notice.

This was the very first thing I tried and they got killed disturbingly quick, even when I sent in interceptors first to break up her fighter screen. I'll try again later.

EDIT: Tried it there, did as you suggested and went way below Medea. Durgas slapped her about and took her down! Thanks for the advice! I had to dance with those bloody Perseus all the live long day though, they seemed to do their job really really well.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2018, 05:11:16 pm by Buckshee Rounds »

Offline crizza

Replaying BP with all the new gimmicks. The lighting and everything... beautifull.
But I'm morally stuck at "For the wrong reasons".
Part of me wants the Rooks to sorvive, the other don't want to kill the TEVs :D

Offline Mito [PL]

It's possible for your wingmen to survive no problem. IIRC you just need to stay put and let half of Tev fighters fly up to you and only then you should engage them, 3v3 is more favorable to you than 3v5. The other half of success is good flying and good loadout (can't remember if you can change it).
How do you kill a hydra?

You starve it to death.

Offline crizza

So, we know that the Phoenicia and Vengance are in Sol as part of Steeles build up for the big bang. But weren't one or even two Erebus/Titan teams mentioned as going to reinforce Steele too?
Just asking for that little forum game :D

Offline AdmiralRalwood

• The Cthulhu programmer himself!
    • Twitter
So, we know that the Phoenicia and Vengance are in Sol as part of Steeles build up for the big bang. But weren't one or even two Erebus/Titan teams mentioned as going to reinforce Steele too?
Just asking for that little forum game :D
From the Command Briefing for Eyes in the Storm:
The destroyers Vengeance and Phoenicia have transited the node. We believe the Implacable and Agamemnon are also being moved into position. It is possible the Pallas and the Ilium are also en route from Epsilon Pegasi, but no confirmation has reached us
The Pallas and Ilium are a Titan/Hecate pair, but the Implacable and Agamemnon are a Titan/Erebus pair.
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Codethulhu GitHub wgah'nagl fhtagn.

schrödinbug (noun) - a bug that manifests itself in running software after a programmer notices that the code should never have worked in the first place.

When you gaze long into BMPMAN, BMPMAN also gazes into you.

"I am one of the best FREDders on Earth" -General Battuta

<Aesaar> literary criticism is vladimir putin

<MageKing17> "There's probably a reason the code is the way it is" is a very dangerous line of thought. :P
<MageKing17> Because the "reason" often turns out to be "nobody noticed it was wrong".
(the very next day)
<MageKing17> this ****ing code did it to me again
<MageKing17> "That doesn't really make sense to me, but I'll assume it was being done for a reason."
<MageKing17> **** ME
<MageKing17> THE REASON IS PEOPLE ARE STUPID
<MageKing17> ESPECIALLY ME

<MageKing17> God damn, I do not understand how this is breaking.
<MageKing17> Everything points to "this should work fine", and yet it's clearly not working.
<MjnMixael> 2 hours later... "God damn, how did this ever work at all?!"
(...)
<MageKing17> so
<MageKing17> more than two hours
<MageKing17> but once again we have reached the inevitable conclusion
<MageKing17> How did this code ever work in the first place!?

<@The_E> Welcome to OpenGL, where standards compliance is optional, and error reporting inconsistent

<MageKing17> It was all working perfectly until I actually tried it on an actual mission.

<IronWorks> I am useful for FSO stuff again. This is a red-letter day!
* z64555 erases "Thursday" and rewrites it in red ink

<MageKing17> TIL the entire homing code is held up by shoestrings and duct tape, basically.

Offline QuakeIV

• test
The Pallas and Ilium are a Titan/Hecate pair, but the Implacable and Agamemnon are a Titan/Erebus pair.

Meanwhile, in GTVA high command:

I get that the UEF will be doing its thing before they arrive, but still.

Offline crizza

Is there any reason that instead of resupplying, the supplyship just turns in circles with the Gorgon?

And what the hell is wrong with the Balrog? Equip this weapon on a Draco and it absolutely shreds through anything.
Oh, and I don't know if the Bifrost is there for cutscene reasons or not... but I find it rather lacking in punch.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
You're not really supposed to be using any of those yet, I don't think.

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
  • Aken Tigh Dekker- you've probably heard me
    • My old squad sub-domain
We all like a Fred dabbble though don't we  ;)
Campaigns I've added my distinctiveness to-
- Blue Planet: Battle Captains
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-Blue planet: Age of Aquarius
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-Ribos: The aftermath / -Retreat from Deneb
-Sol: A History
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Fortune Hunters (I think?)
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine
(Others lost to the mists of time and no discernible audit trail)

Your friendly Orestes tactical controller.

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....
GO GO DEKKER RANGERSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
President of the Scooby Doo Model Appreciation Society
The only good Zod is a dead Zod
NEWGROUNDS COMEDY GOLD, UPDATED DAILY
http://badges.steamprofile.com/profile/default/steam/76561198011784807.png

Offline crizza

You're not really supposed to be using any of those yet, I don't think.
Granted, I used the Bifrost and Gorgon in Her finest Hour 2.

But the Draco armed with the Balrog is avaiable in Universal Truth Steele Remix.