Author Topic: Battletech game?  (Read 22954 times)

Offline 0rph3u5

• Oceans rise. Empires fall.
Is this the Battletech game we both need and deserve?

No, because we neither need nor deserve it :D

A lot of the negative reviews on steam complain that it's too slow-paced, which is like complaining that Quake is too quick.

Some people just don't like elegance ... but than again, I am just saying that because the "slow pacing" allows me multitask in documentary viewing

EDIT: ps. "My ancestors came from the planet Potato. It took some time for me to accept that, but hey, here we are."  :lol:
« Last Edit: April 25, 2018, 04:29:56 pm by 0rph3u5 »
"As you sought to steal a kingdom for yourself, so must you do again, a thousand times over. For a theft, a true theft, must be practiced to be earned." - The terms of Nyrissa's curse, Pathfinder: Kingmaker

==================

"I am Curiosity, and I've always wondered what would become of you, here at the end of the world." - The Guide/The Curious Other, Othercide

"When you work with water, you have to know and respect it. When you labour to subdue it, you have to understand that one day it may rise up and turn all your labours into nothing. For what is water, which seeks to make all things level, which has no taste or colour of its own, but a liquid form of Nothing?" - Graham Swift, Waterland

"...because they are not Dragons."

Offline crizza

The saving system cerainly sucks... was on an aftermission/salvage report... and the game crashed... great, whole mission again -.-

Offline Snarks

Been hearing a lot of good things about it. I can understand the complaint about the animations being too slow though, although it isn't a big enough of an issue to really warrant a negative review. There's a reason why games like Civ have "fast animation" settings. Still a small thing overall.

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Played it for another 6 hours.

This game easily triggers all the "just one more turn" buttons my brain has.
What I like most about it is how it avoids the frustrations inherent in XCOM by defusing the importance of a single RNG roll; Mechs, even light ones, are durable enough to tank a bit of fire, and so there is not as much risk of losing one because you misjudged movement options and get flanked.
Simultaneously, this allows you to pivot strategies if you need to; There was one story mission where my "tank" force (A Centurion and a Shadow Hawk) ran into an ambush (I'm starting to think that "suddenly, a Hunchback" is a strategy on the part of the AI), but because of that durability, I was able to pull back and focus fire the HBK (and kite the rest of the OpFor) long enough for my strike forces (the starter Blackjack and Glitch's Vindicator) to achieve the objective.

Also, while I'm on the subject of the Blackjack: I am kinda happy that this Mech is more useful now than it ever was in the tabletop. A lot of it has to do with HBS choosing to make the AC/2 matter; in the tabletop, situations where an AC/2 (no matter the variant) is useful are really rare. Here, with the AC/2 dealing damage on par with medium lasers for a lot less heat and at much greater ranges, it is a weapon to take serious.
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline Spoon

• ヾ(´︶`♡)ノ

Same

Also, while I'm on the subject of the Blackjack: I am kinda happy that this Mech is more useful now than it ever was in the tabletop. A lot of it has to do with HBS choosing to make the AC/2 matter; in the tabletop, situations where an AC/2 (no matter the variant) is useful are really rare. Here, with the AC/2 dealing damage on par with medium lasers for a lot less heat and at much greater ranges, it is a weapon to take serious.
And unlike the laser, it also deals stability damage. The AC/2 has quite a lot going for it.
The Blackjack's melee attack makes no ****ing sense though. It's literally smashing its cockpit into the enemy mech. Seems like a good idea.
Urutorahappī!!

[02:42] <@Axem> spoon somethings wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> critically wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> im happy with these missions now
[02:44] <@Axem> well
[02:44] <@Axem> with 2 of them

Offline Buckshee Rounds

• Lord Defecator

Same

And unlike the laser, it also deals stability damage. The AC/2 has quite a lot going for it.
The Blackjack's melee attack makes no ****ing sense though. It's literally smashing its cockpit into the enemy mech. Seems like a good idea.

You should see what it does when it misses a melee attack. It goes for the cockpit smooch and the enemy mech sorta just shuffles away like an awkward anime girl. Then they swivel their tops around pretending it never happened.

AC/2 is fine, but I really like the AC/5 it can one shot tanks and has really good range. My Blackjack got its arm blown off in a story mission so I took the opportunity to fit it with an AC/5 and a large laser, which to me felt like a satisfying piece of unintentional emergent storytelling.

Offline Spoon

• ヾ(´︶`♡)ノ
Ho boy, I just actually ragequit out of a mission, after my team failed to kill a wolverine after 8 turns of shooting at it's totally exposed rear. I'm not exaggerating either, it was 8 turns of multiple mechs shooting at it with a 80-90% hit rate. They either missed, or managed to spread out their damage perfectly.
Meanwhile the enemy had absolutely zero issues scoring heatshots, blowing off arms left and right, coring my light mech. Not to mention that it was a 8v4. (is this game ever going to allow dropping multiple lances? I'm starting to pile up mechs in fairly large numbers but only being allowed to ever drop off 4 feels a bit restrictive.) I have completely ironmanned the game so far, but this was just an infuriating display of rng not wanting me to succeed.

You should see what it does when it misses a melee attack. It goes for the cockpit smooch and the enemy mech sorta just shuffles away like an awkward anime girl. Then they swivel their tops around pretending it never happened.
Blackjack-senpai just tried to kiss me... D-d-doushio.

AC/2 is fine, but I really like the AC/5 it can one shot tanks and has really good range. My Blackjack got its arm blown off in a story mission so I took the opportunity to fit it with an AC/5 and a large laser, which to me felt like a satisfying piece of unintentional emergent storytelling.
Midseason upgrade
Urutorahappī!!

Offline crizza

I ragequitted the 3 years later mission :D
My blackjack damaged the Commando, the Commando pulled of a death from above, the light mech damaged the Blackjack and I forget to check the heat issue.
I returned fire, lost a weapon arm and the Blackjack decided to fall... But I learned from that :D

Offline Turambar

• Determined to inflict his entire social circle on us
  • You can't spell Manslaughter without laughter
I named my merc group Tekkadan after the shooting star of a mercenary organization from Gundam: Iron-Blooded Orphans.

I named my pilot Dando Cracklin after my Elite Dangerous character.  Have I mentioned he is a King?  His callsign is King.

Just doing side missions to see if i can keep my merc group afloat, but i'm headed for the main mission real soon.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2018, 11:26:25 am by Turambar »
10:55:48   TurambarBlade: i've been selecting my generals based on how much i like their hats
10:55:55   HerraTohtori: me too!
10:56:01   HerraTohtori: :D

Offline Aesaar

Managed to headshot the
Spoiler:
Quickdraw
with a PPC at the end of the Argo mission.  This is good.

I'm really having a hard time finding a use for the starting Spider.  Yeah, it's super maneuverable, but 2 medium lasers just isn't enough firepower to take advantage of that mobility.  I need to find me a Jenner or a Firestarter.

Also, given how good Autocannons are in this game, I really want to get a Jagermech.

This game owns.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2018, 10:40:46 am by Aesaar »

Offline Spoon

• ヾ(´︶`♡)ノ
Managed to headshot the
Spoiler:
Quickdraw
with a PPC at the end of the Argo mission.  This is good.

I'm really having a hard time finding a use for the starting Spider.  Yeah, it's super maneuverable, but 2 medium lasers just isn't enough firepower to take advantage of that mobility.  I need to find me a Jenner or a Firestarter.

Also, given how good Autocannons are in this game, I really want to get a Jagermech.

This game owns.
Flamers, machineguns and small lasers are in a seperate slot from beam weapons. Throw in two extra flamers in the spider's ct and have it run around being a nuisance (but mostly, just... get rid of the spoder, panthers are a better light weight choice).
I salvaged a Jagermech after the prison liberation mission, it's about what you'd expect from it, a frail sniper that's always a few tons short of the loadout you'd actually want it to have. I havent seen any Jager's aside from that one mission so far yet, so be sure to RNG that headshot for the 3 part salvage :V

I named my merc group Tekkadan over the shooting star of a mercenary organization from Gundam: Iron-Blooded Orphans.
  Good name imo.
Urutorahappī!!

Yes, but a lot of the reviews complain about the little cinematic animation cuts you sometimes get when you order a unit to move or attack. It took me one look into the settings to find the option to turn it off.

I can see why some people want to get things moving along, but the fact that they didn't even bother to check in the settings tells me all I need to know.

Weirdly, turning those off doesn't actually speed up anything, so I kept them on just for now. Those weird camera angles are pretty.

Playing it a bit now: I love most of it thus far, but the game really isn't running as smoothly as I would like, and it doesn't seem down to graphics settings - the UI just has these odd skips and the like.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2018, 11:47:29 am by -Joshua- »

Offline Spoon

• ヾ(´︶`♡)ノ
Large lasers seem really bad

Weirdly, turning those off doesn't actually speed up anything, so I kept them on just for now. Those weird camera angles are pretty.

Playing it a bit now: I love most of it thus far, but the game really isn't running as smoothly as I would like, and it doesn't seem down to graphics settings - the UI just has these odd skips and the like.
The UI often doesnt seem to register clicks, makes the game feel more sluggish than it should
Urutorahappī!!

Offline 0rph3u5

• Oceans rise. Empires fall.
I just got the rust-bucket command ship replaced, but right after that I lost two of pilots:
Dekker had the decency to die after he was resonsiple for the death of Behemoth and my command-Vindicator being core'd during the prison raid (also lost the PPC on that mission, damn that Jager). Never managed to hit anything anyway.

Meanwhile om the gain new mechs front its going great, I will have to spring for an upgrade to the mechnbay soon, and it is nice to finally be able to scrap the Locust, I am now facing a massive shortage of weapons (esspecially Lasers)... so I am in for a massive hike in expenses now. (I might have had the wrong priorities when it comes to salvange)
"As you sought to steal a kingdom for yourself, so must you do again, a thousand times over. For a theft, a true theft, must be practiced to be earned." - The terms of Nyrissa's curse, Pathfinder: Kingmaker

==================

"I am Curiosity, and I've always wondered what would become of you, here at the end of the world." - The Guide/The Curious Other, Othercide

"When you work with water, you have to know and respect it. When you labour to subdue it, you have to understand that one day it may rise up and turn all your labours into nothing. For what is water, which seeks to make all things level, which has no taste or colour of its own, but a liquid form of Nothing?" - Graham Swift, Waterland

"...because they are not Dragons."

Offline Spoon

• ヾ(´︶`♡)ノ
I havent actually managed to get pilots killed dead yet. Some came close with getting their cockpit nearly destroyed, but so far I've only had pilots incapacitated.

I'm getting the impression that Dekker isn't surviving in a lot of games  :p
Urutorahappī!!

Offline Turambar

• Determined to inflict his entire social circle on us
  • You can't spell Manslaughter without laughter
It's because he's in the tiny tin can by default.

He got roughed up a lot, but now I'm getting better with using light mechs so he spends less time in the medbay.
10:55:48   TurambarBlade: i've been selecting my generals based on how much i like their hats
10:55:55   HerraTohtori: me too!
10:56:01   HerraTohtori: :D

Offline Aesaar

I'm just after the prison break and I haven't lost a mech yet.  TBH I think the vehicles and turrets earlier in the mission did more damage than the mechs did.  Large Lasers are scary.

Replacing the Spider with a Quickdraw helped me immensely.

Offline Mikes

Well That Jeager can fit 2 AC10 with decent armor layout... and I put some of those ++ AC10s on it that do extra stability damage.

Definitely fun! Combined with some LRM and SRMs from the other mechs the enemies keep falling over their feet. :-)

Offline Scotty

• 1.21 gigawatts!
  • Guns, guns, guns.
So far I've managed to get Medusa killed and lost a Vindicator doing it.

Current lance is: Centurion, Shadow Hawk, Shadow Hawk, Jenner.  The Centurion is rocking PPC++ and LRM-20+++; one of the Shadow Hawks is stock; the other swapped the jump jets out for a bigger SRM and some extra armor; the Jenner dropped the JJs and two MLs for an SRM-6 and a ****load more armor.

Working pretty well.

Offline Aesaar

Mine looks like

Centurion: almost maxed armor, AC/20+ (3t ammo), 2x ML, 1x JJ

Shadow Hawk: stock except LRM removed, SRM-2 replaced with SRM-6

Vindicator: mostly stock, PPC, Large Laser, -1 JJ
I was really torn between dropping a JJ or dropping 40 points of armor to get the .5t I needed to get the large laser in there.  Still not sure i made the right call.

Quickdraw: 4x Medium Lasers, LRM-10, SRM removed, almost maxed armor
The Quickdraw suffers a lot from not having a fist.  I'll probably replace it with something else fairly soon.  Good at soaking up hits though

I also have a Jenner on standby if I need a light mech.  Still stock.  Might take off the SRM in favor of more armor.

Need to kill another Jagermech so I can get one working.  I'll probably replace the Quickdraw or the Vindicator with it.

I'm surprised by how good stock loadouts usually are.