Hosted Projects - FS2 Required > FreeSpace Conversion

RELEASE: Cardinal Spear

<< < (28/28)

Crovaxon:
Uh so, sorry if I am performing some form of grave digging here given the age of this thread and its last post..., but I am working through various mods in a timeline fitting order and ended up with Cardinal Spear now :) and I am struggling surprisingly hard with the very first mission against that Typhon class destroyer.
It seems that the vasudans either have a really high number of wings they can deploy one after another or they are probably endlessly spawning. Does not so much bother me, I like to have things to shoot, but my AI buddies are not that thrilled and sooner or later I am ending up the last surviving fighter.
Also our bombers are launching their torpedos waaaay to early, they explode mid flight, never reaching the destroyer? I tried ordering the bomber wing to form up on me and waiting till I have reached the capital ship with them before ordering to attack but it helps marginally, if at all.

After plenty tries of varying orders to my wings and doing my best I noticed that, should the destroyer get past our cruiser an reach the station... that they aren't even really attacking the installation at all, the typhon just parks outside... and I could fly into the hangar bay of the destroyer. So I did that and ended up speeding up the time and chipping away at the destroyer this way, not a satisfying win but at least I can legit pass the mission :D except I loose my own cruiser but alas, can't have everything.

Well, in the end I do get the distinct feeling that something is not quite right with the mission setup, I wonder if that played out differently under older versions or original FS?

Anyway, I'll keep on flying, hopefully the other missions won't be as wonky but I wanted to leave a heads up.

(First post btw, so hello everyone and thanks to everyone involved in FSOpen and the brilliant collection of mods we have today).

Edit: alright, maybe I have just totally misplaced my expectations, third mission I am also retrying again and again, Cardinal Spear seems to be of a different calibre than the main game and previous mods I played. And I thought The Unification War mod was the toughest so far I had chewed through. :)

Goober5000:
:welcome:

Cardinal Spear didn't have the best balance when it was first released, but its balance did change somehow due to FSO engine modifications.  If you look at YouTube playthroughs of Cardinal Spear mission 1 from 2012 or so, you'll see that the pilots have a much easier time.  Unfortunately, code changes that affect balance are notoriously difficult to track down, so we haven't identified the cause of this yet.

manwiththemachinegun:
Yeah the endlessly spawning fighter waves while neither you nor your wingman have shields is not terribly great design.

CT27:
I also think that can be an issue in mission 4 of the first Cardinal Spear campaign (attacking the Vasudan Talania fleet).  They have lots of respawning fighters and bombers...along with a bunch of cruisers and a destroyer.  You just get the wings you start with (no respawns) and the GTA capships.

Goober5000:

--- Quote from: Goober5000 on May 30, 2022, 12:14:49 pm ---Cardinal Spear didn't have the best balance when it was first released, but its balance did change somehow due to FSO engine modifications.  If you look at YouTube playthroughs of Cardinal Spear mission 1 from 2012 or so, you'll see that the pilots have a much easier time.  Unfortunately, code changes that affect balance are notoriously difficult to track down, so we haven't identified the cause of this yet.
--- End quote ---

Thanks to some excellent detective work by Rajjia, we've discovered that the balance changes were not caused by FSO at all, but rather by the modpack.  In one of the Cardinal Spear releases we switched to modular tables, for better MediaVP compatibility, but we didn't think to compare the stats of the stock retail ships, which reverted to their standard values.  Quite a few stats were changed in Cardinal Spear, including nerfing the Typhon from 120k hitpoints to 26k.  That makes a huge difference in mission 1.

I've uploaded version 1.3.0 to Knossos and the FSO Installer.  All ship stats should now be fixed.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version